Are You for Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Are You for Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no problem with it and wish it was legal in FL. I can't say what my everyday carry would be - open or ...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Are You for Open Carry?

I have no problem with it and wish it was legal in FL. I can't say what my everyday carry would be - open or concealed since I don't have the choice, but I'd like the choice.
    OldVet and jrclen like this.

2. Remove Ads

IMO...............it's your decision......and it's OK in PA.

OC has its place and time. The only time I do is hiking or camping, much more comfortable if you're moving around quite a lot.

There is a time and a place for everything.

I see some pros and cons.

Right now, in Texas, I can carry CCW almost everywhere.

There are very few establishments that put an antigun sign up.

It works for me. I feel my 2A rights are being used.

My fear is that when people OC, especially in a bigger city, I will start to see more
    signs with no pistols allowed. THIS would be a problem for me.

In Texas, a business can put any sign up they want. In many cases, unless its a 51% establishment, or
    30.06 establishment, it doesnt hold the weight of law.

If someone puts up a no gun sign that doesnt meet the criteria, I dont go there, because I do believe in their
    Rights as well.

I have seen people that are militant about OC....... To me, thats not the right approach.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    I personally do not intend to open carry. That being said I do want open carry to be legal. Why ?. Watch this video, its self explanatory:

Florida Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Permit Holder in the Back During Traffic Stop | Prepper Central

There too many people out there that let authority go to their heads and displace all common sense.
    That is so wrong on many levels. Is that formerly-bullied thug still employed?

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Are You for Open Carry?

No. I believe in the advantage of tactical knowledge and concealment; I want to draw as little attention to myself as possible. This is one reason why so many LEO's in very large cities prefer to work in "plainclothes details" as opposed to uniformed patrol.
    USM1976 and bklynboy like this.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Any bg that would shoot an OCer first upon committing felony robbery would probably shoot a few people that are remotely capable of slowing their crime clock. Many of them tend to shoot the clerks or cashiers and witness upon exit. So the chance of being targeted is impossible to know. But OCers would much less likely deal with misdemeanor and low level felony mugging as these opportunist thugs tend to go for easy targets. The major concern for OCers are punks mocking and showing disrespect, especially if carriers are minority or elders. This is why it is not a good idea to be lone OCer and malls or places popular with low income idiots are to be avoided when OC.

I always look like I am having a bad day because I tend to always do so people tend to stay away unless they have something to sell.

South Carolina has a bill they're trying to push through to make it LEGAL for CCW/OC WITHOUT A PERMIT!!! I am needless to say extremely excited about this and hope it passes. I don't feel the need to give some stranger $100+ to show me how to handle and fire my weapons just so I can carry it hidden on my persons. I also realize there are legal issues that are discussed in the classes but that is information that can be obtained online or through a lawyer. The right to bear arms should protect my rights from the state telling me where and when I can carry one of my pistols.
    jrclen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    I don't feel the need to give some stranger $100+ to show me how to handle and fire my weapons
    According to some on this board you are surely going to shoot yourself in the foot or kill some old grandmother without that training. :)
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    According to some on this board you are surely going to shoot yourself in the foot or kill some old grandmother without that training. :)
    My cousin back in Missouri works for a local le as a Homicide detective, also teaches advanced weapons classes for the department and teaches a class for the police academy. We've had this discussion alot. He doesn't feel OC is a good idea. If that is the only option that I have or can afford then I'll roll with it. I just don't see the big deal on why it's so negatively viewed. I don't think anyone would honestly try and grab a weapon that is secured on your persons. Most people in public are terrified by people who open carry. The world is getting more dangerous and I'll be damned if I'm letting someone tell me what I can and cannot do to protect myself. I'm not a criminal. I never will be a criminal. I despise criminals. Of course if I was Chuck Norris I wouldn't have to worry because he IS a weapon. :)

I agree with you. In Wisconsin we had no concealed carry right but our state supreme court ruled that some sort of carry was guaranteed by the constitution. So that left open carry. Many in law enforcement and many of the sheep hated it, but we did it anyway. As you say, it's easy, it requires no training, and if it's legal, it really doesn't matter what other people think of it. Heck some people don't like that I drive a truck rather than a prius.

If people actually grabbed guns from open carry people, or shot them first in a robbery, we would be seeing the news clippings proving it. What could happen is often very different than what actually does happen. Carry on.
    carracer likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Yep; open carry does not deter crime and the open carrier will always be the first shot because criminals are such brave souls....

John Lott's Website: Two men carrying guns deter robbery
    jrclen, carracer and pittypat21 like this.

Are You for Open Carry?

I prefer CC, I have nothing against OCers, I just would rather not advertise.

VIP Member
    Ohio gives me the choice...dig that. So I choose to CC. As stated many times...would rather not show my cards as they say. I'll have to figure out what to do when camping or hiking. Things that make you go hhhmmm.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Links