Are You for Open Carry? - Page 3

Are You for Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Are You for Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not only am I for it, I do it. Never had an issue worth talking about. But on more than one occasion I've had sketchy ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Are You for Open Carry?

Not only am I for it, I do it. Never had an issue worth talking about. But on more than one occasion I've had sketchy looking folks decide they had somewhere else to be when they noticed I was armed. Mostly though, I've had some good conversations with good people about things related to guns because they saw I was armed.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by rugergunner View Post
    I'm all for it if you are doing it legally and have the right mental attitude. I have seen some fellows OC'ing with a swagger...I think there goes another tough guy making us all look stupid.
    That's me and it ain't swagger--it's wobble!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I see both sides of this. I live in a very rural area where OC would fit right in, But I work in a downtown area where people are thick and I'm not sure Id be comfortable in a line 5 wide and 30 people long with a gun exposed on my hip. DR

Re: are u for open carry?

No.

I'm not interested in anyone knowing I am carrying. It is for defense, not for show.

I would rather have the BG thinking that he may be surrounded by defenders than knowing he has one in his sites.

George
    Billb1960 and gregnsc like this.
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Correct... Displaying a fire arm will make you a first choice target, no doubt !!! ....Eddie
    Actually, I have posted a link to a news story on here at least one other time where a BG walked into a store, right past an OCer, and shot the clerk, and was then shot by the OCer... OC doesn't necessarily make you a target... you can search VA open carrier hero, or something to that effect to read the story...
    carracer likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

PA is open carry but I don't do it.

AOK
    I personally prefer to conceal at all times. However, I don't really care which way someone carries, just make sure you have a gun on you. With that said the only thing that bothers me about open carry is someone who does so without a retention holster. Open carry with no type of retention is asking for trouble IMHO.

OldVet i agree with you. If MORE people were to OC i feel it would go a long way towards stopping BG from doing stupid acts of violence. In most every state where OC is legal the number of random shootings and robberies have dropped. I feel it is a deterrent even to BG's when you think about it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I believe this is true, but I wish we could open carry here in Florida. It would help me feel better about the 'inadvertent flash' of my concealed carry gun...and it would also divert the attention of a BG towards the OC guy.
    You can stop worrying about it:

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I believe you should be able to OC if you want to...If you don't OC, you should CC.

I think the OC/CC arguement is analogous to any religious/political arguement...It's a belief system and minds seldom change in those beliefs. My belief system is CC, but I respect anyone's right to their own belief system.
    carracer and sigmanluke like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I believe you should be able to OC if you want to...If you don't OC, you should CC.

I think the OC/CC arguement is analogous to any religious/political arguement...It's a belief system and minds seldom change in those beliefs. My belief system is CC, but I respect anyone's right to their own belief system.
    Well put. I find the intolerence intolerable. I don't care how someone carries as long as they carry. I only wish I had the option to OC when I choose.
    lchamp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    I believe open carry is your constitutional right. I wouldn't do it myself as I prefer to carry concealed, but this would also eliminate problems with printing, or accidental exposure of a concealed carry piece, too.

Honestly I don't think it should be illegal to carry open or concealed, and I don't think either one should require "permission" from the government, local, state, or federal by means of a permit and accompanying restrictions. I think having a gun on your person should ONLY become a crime if the gun is used in commission OF a crime. If you commit a robbery, an assault, etc.. and use the gun, or have a gun on your person at the time, only then should having it be able to be used as a charge against you.

This is how you punish the guilty without punishing everyone else in the process.

Gotta agree!

My preference is to carry concealed but since it's legal to open carry in Ohio, if you want to, then feel free.

My only suggestions would be: 1. Please try to be a good ambassador while you are OCing, it helps our reputation as gun owners. 2. It never hurts to keep the number of your lawyer on your phone's contact list - just in case. 3. I've also heard many people suggest carrying a voice recorder.
    carracer likes this.

Anybody who can't type "you" is too stupid to talk to.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

are u for open carry?

Not for me..like said before I think it makes you an open target to a robber..how ever I do support it and will try my best to keep it around!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links