Are You for Open Carry? - Page 5

Are You for Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Are You for Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just not worth the headache to me. Phone calls to cops, waiting for them to get there so you can hand them your permit, then ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Are You for Open Carry?

Just not worth the headache to me. Phone calls to cops, waiting for them to get there so you can hand them your permit, then go somewhere else and repeat. What a nightmare.

Gun folks are into guns. Non gun folks are not. But they can be swayed against them by Hollywood, the good ole liberal media, the inestimable political regime driving this sinking ship, and non-cops openly carrying guns. You all know what I am talking about. People scare easily, especially in the wake of a mass murder in Nowhere, USA. Kind of like where I live. It has now been proven to the masses that it is open season, and there are no taboos on what atrocities can be committed. Maybe the guy carrying a gun here at Subway wants a sandwich before he starts mowing us down. Maybe he is an off duty cop. Or maybe he is one of those "gun guy NRA types", and that makes me very nervous. You don't know how a given individual will react when he or she sees your Glock.

Make no mistake, like most others I have no problem at all with open carry. But it's not worth it to me, certainly not in the current witch hunt the antis are staging. This is not cowardice, nor do I feel I have an obligation to the gun community to tell the world I carry a gun, but I won't hurt anybody because I am a good guy. Most around here will choose to err on the side of what they think is caution, which means the cops are called. A sorry thing.

If you want to do it, live it up. I'd back you up. If you live in a place where it is legal and the locals don't mind, then have at it and be grateful you can.
    Legally, so can I. Publicly, I won't deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    No, unless on the range. IMO its a macho bs thing. I think it makes the sheep nervous and has a negative affect on public opinion. Some would say, "who cares". Well if that public opinion could lead to restrictions then I care. Too each their own...

Hey you carry concealed? Wow you're such a coward, too afraid to fight with your fists like a real man? God - people like you are so insecure.

Okay that was intentional sarcasm, but that's about how your statement lines up. The same kind of argument can be made against any firearms carrying person period.

There should be -no- division between the CC and OC crowd, in the end we are carrying for the same reasons.

I CC 50% of the time and OC the other 50%, does that mean I'm only feeling macho half a month? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Here's the deal. In any given month I spend around 50% of the time CCing, and the other half OCing. It's not exact, but pretty close. Thus far I have yet to have:

A BG single me out and kill me while OCing
    A BG coming to my home because they see I carry a gun and therefore have more
    A sheep panic because I am OCing and causing a scene
    A sheep call the LEO on me

I haven't been carrying anywhere near as long as many of you, but long enough to feel comfortable in saying that, thus far, I don't think any of the arguments against OCing hold any real empirical weight.

I encourage people to carry however the law allows them, but I honestly think the scenario of "a BG will target an OCer" first is far more unlikely than the scenario of "A BG will be deterred by the sight of an OCer."

To each their own, but if nothing else I'd really like to see those who carry for SD to quit being so divided by it.
    OldVet, jrclen and carracer like this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I'm not opposed to it for others but it is not for me.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    "......keep and bear arms.." Is open carry and allowed via the 2nd amendment. However, we the people allowed the federal/state governments take or restrict that right from us.......

This message sent via my "Ma Bell" rotatory phone......
    That was clear as mud, but 2A doesn't mention "means" of carry, and in all likelihood, in those days CC was more the standard of highwaymen, not gentlemen who OC'd. My, how things have changed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Carry how you want and yes.

OC doesn't bother me, but I prefere the discreetness of CC.
    -Carl-
    2nd AMDT = "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The vast majority of the time, open carry doesn't bother me in the least. I work at Walmart and see people open carry regularly. However, there are times when I question a person's judgment to open carry at a particular time.

Man with assault rifle prompts flurry of police calls in Portland | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
    Billb1960 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Fla
    I can't open carry here but even if I could I wouldn't. I will keep surprise on my side. Police do not fire often but they do pull and point a lot. BG knows back up is coming and doesn't want to lose the numbers game and quits.
    ( lots of tasers too )
    Billb1960 likes this.

are u for open carry?

I started concealed carrying but now I open carry 90% of the time. Most people don't notice the gun on my hip. Some do. I haven't been confronted by anyone, kicked out of any places, or incited panic and fear in the population.

I prefer open carrying. More comfortable primarily. And not having to check to ensure I'm still "concealed" But I respect everyone's reason to conceal or not. I live in a gun friendly small town area, so OCing is not an issue for me.
    lchamp and carracer like this.

I think open carry is a BAD idea. Some of the posters on this question are in denial. So instead of arguing with anyone. Go to any search engine, yahoo, google or whatever you like and type this in the search "robbed while open carry". Nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by hartlathers View Post
    I think open carry is a BAD idea. Nuff said
    Then don't do it. Nuff said.
    carracer and sigmanluke like this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I wouldn't even if I could,but don't care about what other people do

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ofgods View Post
    I love carrying a gun on me at all times, everywhere I go but I'm not for open carry. I think that if a criminal was to enter a store to rob it & seen someone w a gun on their side they would take them out first then rob the place. Just my thought. What's urs?
    I'm for open carry only if carrying a .40 cal or above with defensive loads that prioritize bullet weight over bullet velocity. If you are going to open carry, you need to be sure to have adequate stopping power, and everyone knows that you need at least a .40 with heavy loads. Any other view is unacceptable to me.

Thanks,
    PEF

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Not only am I for it, I do it. Never had an issue worth talking about. But on more than one occasion I've had sketchy looking folks decide they had somewhere else to be when they noticed I was armed. Mostly though, I've had some good conversations with good people about things related to guns because they saw I was armed.
    You too? I was getting gas here in Tuscaloosa after I got off my 2nd shift job OCing. The middle aged lady and her young children asked if I was a cop (I have to wear a suit to work) and I explained that OC was legal in Alabama and it's much more comfortable to wear it owb than iwb even with those high dollar holsters, I know because I have em. Any who, as I was talking to her and filling up this old POS honda full of younger guys blasting rap music that had pimping and shooting every two words pulled in. They sat there behind me for about a minute and then started the car without even going into the store and left. The lady said that she thought they were up to no good and probably got scared and left.

I didn't get shot by the BG, and TBQH the bad guy that is going into the store to rob it isn't going to walk around and scope out all the people inside. They most likely will walk in and shove the weapon in the clerks face demanding money.
    carracer and AK_Brian like this.

I don't have a CHP at this time, so I open carry everywhere I can. Before I head out for the day, I hop online and do a search for open carry and the name of the business I am planning to go to. For example, every mall in Virginia prohibits carrying of firearms, so I just avoid them. If the wife wants to go, then I will leave my firearm at home, and get in and out of the mall and back home as quickly as possible. I refuse to leave my pistol locked in my car, after having been broken into years ago while I was in the movie theater. I would be ultimately pissed if my pistol were stolen by some punk out of my vehicle.

As soon as I have my CHP, I will still open carry everywhere, except for those places that frown on carrying of weapons. In that case, I will concealed carry, because after all, if they don't know about it, they can't do anything about it.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links