Are You for Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Are You for Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Kimberpackn I'm not opposed to it for others but it is not for me. I agree with this....

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Are You for Open Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I'm not opposed to it for others but it is not for me.
    I agree with this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

2. Remove Ads

Re: are u for open carry?

I think open carry combined with extremely polite behavior is a way to be an ambassador to the public for responsible gun ownership and carriage. That said, I think personally one needs always to consider the particular situation and act appropriately. There may be times OC is legal, but just not a good idea. I generally CC when I can, but have OCed when I had to. I think OC group outings are a good way to OC. Makes it clear you're not some lone whackjob while certainly making the practice noticed.
    Ogre likes this.

To each his or her own. I prefer the element of surprise, and therefore, concealed carry most of the time. If someone prefers to open carry and feels comfortable doing so, more power to them.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Isn't there a Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions thread for those who don't open carry?
    jrclen, Ogre, AK_Brian and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've heard that most felons, if they even think that there's a good chance that somebody MIGHT have a gun on them, they're not going to commit the crime.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofgods View Post
    I love carrying a gun on me at all times, everywhere I go but I'm not for open carry. I think that if a criminal was to enter a store to rob it & seen someone w a gun on their side they would take them out first then rob the place. Just my thought. What's urs?
    And if CCW passes there will be blood in the streets, shoot outs at high noon on Main Street,yada, yada, yada, bla, bla, bla.......

Some 'ole liberal bovine excrement.

I operate under the very general premise that an armed society is a polite society. I most often cc simply for the element of surprise but the sight of a individual oc'ing might be a deterrent to a yahoo about to engage in a crime of opportunity. If so, I'll consider that a win.

That said I live in a place where the majority are armed or very familiar with guns and can count on two fingers the times oc'ing has been questioned in more than 30 years. Bottom line, carry in a manner that's legal in your area and however you're comfortable.

Whether to open carry or not is a personal issue. Funny under the 2nd amendment allows it yet some states have implemented one of those "reasonable" infringements and banned it.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    2A oes not specifically allow "open" carry, just the right to bear arms in some manner. I don't care whether a state requires OC, CC, either manner or both, as long as it doesn't deny it.
    Chief1297 likes this.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That is what the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled some time back OldVet. The government could deny the right to carry concealed as long as it allowed some sort of bearing arms. So up until last year we had no choice but open carry or not carry at all. And it bothered the heck out of the sheep.
    GH likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

I really don't care if someone legally open carries. I won't since I never draw attention to myself. No loud exhaust pipes, wacky clothes, outrageous hair, etc. I never say "Look at Me" in manner or dress. What others do is their business.
    GH, Ksgunner and akav8er like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    That is what the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled some time back OldVet. The government could deny the right to carry concealed as long as it allowed some sort of bearing arms. So up until last year we had no choice but open carry or not carry at all. And it bothered the heck out of the sheep.
    And apparently FL has done just the opposite, allowing only CC--no realistic OC here--and then only with a permit.

VIP Member
    I don't like being first target, but I do miss being able to tuck my shirt into my jeans. With open carry, it opens the door to all sorts of fashion statements - instead of a bland IWB holster, I'd love to have a matching rayskin or alligator belt and holster. Different colors for different outfits, etc. And while I wouldn't like the overall attention being openly armed brings, I don't mind "representing" and being a spokesperson for curious people. I've changed people's minds after speaking to them about guns, because I break the traditional gun owner stereotype.

But I'd still have to say no, I personally wouldn't open carry.
    brocktice likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Sure, I like options.
    For Christmas I wore this one.
    owbsmall2.jpg

I like to think it made me more festive.
    Have a great day.
    carracer likes this.

GH
    Although I'm allowed to openly carry in Wisconsin I probably won't. I really don't like to draw attention to myself or let anyone know I'm armed. With 27 years in the military I'm tired of being a target. I'll defend anyone's right to carry any way they choose. I'll fight tooth & nail if my state decides to ban open carry.

The police chief of Milwaukee has promised that if his officers spot that you're openly carrying expect to go the the ground & have your firearm confiscated until everything checks out & that could take some time with the gun laying in the crime lab waiting for a forensic ballistics check. I have reason to believe he has no use for any permissive gun laws, lol. I may be dum but I ain't stoopid & can take a hint.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links