Are You for Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Are You for Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As long as I can remember (im 54) open carry has been legal in Ky. CC now for many years also. For myself most of ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Are You for Open Carry?

As long as I can remember (im 54) open carry has been legal in Ky. CC now for many years also. For myself most of the time its cc. I see a person now and then open carrying and nobody pays any attention to them.
    If Im hunting or going to cut wood or some such ill open carry since its easier and going into stores town etc doenst bother me or anyone else for that matter as far as I can tell.
    Most of the time im riding a motorcycle unless its snowing or ice or i need the truck for some reason. On the bike its always cc and in a shoulder holster 90 percent of the time on the bike.

2. Remove Ads

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofgods View Post
    I love carrying a gun on me at all times, everywhere I go but I'm not for open carry. I think that if a criminal was to enter a store to rob it & seen someone w a gun on their side they would take them out first then rob the place. Just my thought. What's urs?
    I agree with you, it just makes it more of a challenge for the bad guys.......

good point

Obviously it's a personal choice.I wouldn't open carry,unless,i had no other option.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ofgods View Post
    I think that if a criminal was to enter a store to rob it & seen someone w a gun on their side they would take them out first then rob the place.
    That's a myth.

Everyone's different, including criminals. Of the tens of thousands of such people around the country, there are likely a few who would absolutely take out potential sources of resistance first. I'm sure there are likely a few who would turn right around and look for an undefended target. Who's to say what's more likely? It's not as though data's gathered on what the crooks thought as they surveyed the scene immediately prior to the crime.

What's likely on the occasion that you're present during a crime that's unfolding? Anything's possible. So, go with what you're comfortable doing. If your situational awareness and way of carrying is such that you're concerned with being taken unawares, then carry accordingly. If your comfort level with draw speed and clothing selection is such that it better accommodates a given mode of carry and that's your primary criterion, great. Whatever floats your boat.

OC has its place. For many, it's more comfortable, easier to draw, simpler to don/remove. I OC now and then, though generally I'm concealed. I'm comfortable either way, though for me it depends largely on the locations where I'll be carrying and the degree of comfort I have with the average people who are there. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I figure if you really want to OC and you're prepared for the potential negative reactions, MWAG calls, whatever - then go for it. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. I occasionally see people OC here but it's rare, most people keep things low-key. What I take issue with is the plethora of idiots that go out with camera in hand and deliberately draw attention to themselves just to make a point. We've all seen the videos, guy walking around with an AR-15 or an MP-5 strapped to their chest, camera rolling, acting like a douchebag towards the cops just because it's legal. But to me the only point they're making is how incredibly stupid they are and they're just feeding more ammo to the anti-2A folks that think these guys represent the majority of gun owners. I cannot imagine for the life of me why someone would want to attract that kind of attention.

All that said, I do like that OC is legal where I'm at just for the fact that you don't have to go to great lengths to prevent printing or exposure.
    kb2wji and FLGuy like this.

I'm for OC only to the extent that it will "cover" me in the event of an inadvertent flash as in bending over, reaching up, etc. I will continue to carry concealed because I don't feel the need to broadcast the fact that I have a gun. Why give any potential BG an advantage? Also, even if we get OC in Florida, I wouldn't want to OC and invite police harassment which I'm sure would happen. There are tons of videos on you tube where people are legally carrying OC and still getting plenty of attention from the po-po. I prefer to keep a very long distance between myself and the local constabulary.
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

I have no problem with open carry. I probably still carry my handgun conceal.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, I'm for OC, and I'm for CC, whichever tickles one's fancy. I'd recommend closing this thread but someone who doesn't believe in OC would start a new one tomorrow.
    carracer, Snatale42 and jrclen like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    In Florida,the only time I open carry(which is legal) is to,from and during a hunting or fishing trip. Other than that,I agree concealment is best.Ive seen some crazy things on the water and in the woods .

Nothing wrong with OC, I do it on days I go to the range. Usually wind up staying that way until I get home which is many times all day. Bashing OC because you CC is no different than people bashing CC that don't carry at all. Most people that carry will say "if the criminals knows people around them are armed, they are less likely to do something stupid" and lets not forget "an armed society is a polite society" AND YET, loose that mentality completely when it comes to OC and claim the complete opposite it true.
    jrclen likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I am for open carry. I just doubt I would. I prefer to know I'm not going to be hassled by anyone (police or idiot who is frightened of their own shadow).
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Open Carry eliminates a lot of problems as far as dealing with cops interpreting the gun laws. But walking around a mall with a 1911 on your hip is not the brightest idea. Everything has a time and place.

I'd like the option at times perhaps. I feel safer concealed but I think there are times when knowing for sure there's a gun there that might be against you, would deter a potential criminal. They don't want to be shot at either. Plus I would bet a lot of people would just think "he's a cop" and forget about it. Probably not everyone, but a lot.

I think a lot of resistance to open carry comes from people who don't have the option and think because you walk around shopping with a gun on your hip you are looking for trouble. That is hardly the case, especially when it's in a holster.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Links