Are You for Open Carry?

Are You for Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Are You for Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love carrying a gun on me at all times, everywhere I go but I'm not for open carry. I think that if a criminal ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Are You for Open Carry?

Are You for Open Carry?

I love carrying a gun on me at all times, everywhere I go but I'm not for open carry. I think that if a criminal was to enter a store to rob it & seen someone w a gun on their side they would take them out first then rob the place. Just my thought. What's urs?
    NavyAirdale likes this.

Correct... Displaying a fire arm will make you a first choice target, no doubt !!! ....Eddie
    PatAz likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miamieddie View Post
    Correct... Displaying a fire arm will make you a first choice target, no doubt !!! ....Eddie
    I believe this is true, but I wish we could open carry here in Florida. It would help me feel better about the 'inadvertent flash' of my concealed carry gun...and it would also divert the attention of a BG towards the OC guy.
    Sarge65 likes this.

I think if its legal, and you want to, go for it.

Personally, I think its a bad idea.
    lchamp, Clodbert and PatAz like this.

I think it has its place
    jem102 and theLegendofWalt like this.

VIP Member
    I have no problem with OC. I don't do it a lot, but I have no problem with it. For all y'all who say it is deleterious to your health, can you support that with actual facts or stats? I admit, it feels that way to me, but I don't think the facts support this opinion.
    carracer, DC and pittypat21 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ofgods View Post
    I love carrying a gun on me at all times, everywhere I go but I'm not for open carry. I think that if a criminal was to enter a store to rob it & seen someone w a gun on their side they would take them out first then rob the place. Just my thought. What's urs?
    I am so tired of that beat-to-death, unfounded argument. I think people should be able to carry however they wish.
    carracer, PIMking, Hulley and 5 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I believe this is true, but I wish we could open carry here in Florida. It would help me feel better about the 'inadvertent flash' of my concealed carry gun...and it would also divert the attention of a BG towards the OC guy.
    I agree with this comment.

Ichamp... I feel you, it will devert someone like you or myself, but a real criminal it wont they are there for one reason and one reason only and they're not going to let anyone alter that !!! .... There way of thinking is very differant than ours, yes you and me would turn right around and leave, not them you have a gun displayed there taking you out first, unless hes a rooky at this profession (panic and leave)... Eddie

VIP Member
    Everywhere I ever OC'd it had to have scared away the BGs because no one ever shot me first and then robbed the place. That's the absolute truth!

Hard to disprove that when nothing happened, isn't it?
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OC is a deterrent right up to the point where the Bad Guy is determined enough to risk a close in attack to get the weapon. The problem is when you OC you never know where that point is until it's too late.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Everywhere I ever OC'd it had to have scared away the BGs because no one ever shot me first and then robbed the place. That's the absolute truth!

Hard to disprove that when nothing happened, isn't it?
    Even harder to prove. Fact is most police officers never fire their weapons in their entire career except at the range and they are the ones who actually go into dangerous situations. The fact that you've never been shot at doesn't prove much.
    jem102 likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I'm ok with it
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

are u for open carry?

I don't really care for it but it is good to know is legal here in WI
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    I'll add this personal knowledge tidbit and move on.

The local Mom & Pop grocery store where I grew up in NC kept a gun under the counter, yet was robbed three times. The last time the BG laid everyone out on the floor, planning on shooting them until a deputy inadvertantly interrupted the robbery. Alas, the un-aware deputy was also disarmed and laid out, but the BG fled--the only reasoning was he didn't want to go down for shooting an LEO.

After that, all the employees of age openly carried while at work. No one ever attempted to rob the place again. I guess deterence sometime works.

While I'm sure somewhere, sometime, someone has been shot while OC'ing during a robbery, it's a rariety that I find near impossible to find documentation for. People who CC also get robbed/shot/killed with the same frequency. I find it much more believeable that a BG will not attempt a robbery when he knows armed people are inside. But things that don't happen are hard to prove/disprove.

And for the life of me I don't understand why people continuously come on an OC thread just to argue against it.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links