Have you seen this video ? (Open carry) - Page 2

Have you seen this video ? (Open carry)

This is a discussion on Have you seen this video ? (Open carry) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open Carry baiters are stupid....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Have you seen this video ? (Open carry)

Open Carry baiters are stupid.
    kb2wji likes this.

I dont get it??....why do these guys drawn attention to themselves? Plain stupid to deal with LE in that manner.

Quote Originally Posted by hartlathers View Post
    Open carry is foolish. This guy stated he couldn't get a license to conceal carry because of a prior drug conviction. He shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. This type of garbage just turns into more media fodder for the anti gun movement. But that's okay, right? Because he's excersizing his "right" to open carry. Nevermind that guns scare people. It's still his right to scare those people and how dare they call the police because they witness someone walking down the street with a gun.
    I guess you think 30 round mags are foolish as well. Let them get a foot in the door and all our rights will be gone. I actually think not supporting him is foolish.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: Have you seen this video ? (Open carry)

Before I got my CHL I open carried, albeit IWB 4 o'clock, small black gun against a black shirt. Never flaunted it and never had a problem. Did it again recently in Boulder, CO because my AZ CHL was not honored and my NM one had not yet arrived. Even in liberal Boulder, no problem. I think OC gatherings are a smart way to do the public awareness thing. Walking around acting like a self-important d__chenozzle looking for attention is another story.
    kb2wji and carracer like this.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Another YouTube wanna be superstar.

He is out for attention. NOTHING MORE.
    Slippery slope discussion.

I don't open carry..I can, but I choose not to.

The law is the law.

There is a great departure from the law Vs. reality.

If I were "Joe Basketball Star" and stopped once due to a MWAG call; I am certain the cops would recognize me and NEVER stop me again for walking down the same street. Why?

1) I have a ton of money
    2) I will bring a law suit
    3) I will insure publicity

The average citizen does NOT generally have at their disposal those (3) possibilities. Period...and the cops know it!

If anything, the police depts are scared to death of bad press brought by large media outlets, be it national or the local channels from their town or city.

Anyone ever see speed traps set up in the poorest neighborhoods?
    Ever seen cops stake out the local Elks lodge and set up sobriety check points? Cops, lawyers, community leaders attend the Elks meetings.
    God forbid you stop someone with a little clout.

No. LE exercise power over the weak. The ones unable to defend themselves.

This is similar to "May Issue" states where the only people who can carry are the super wealthy, politically connected or a friend of a friend.

Although the guy in the video is a bit snotty, he is right (IF) I base my conclusion on what I was presented with in the video.

1) Stopped several times
    2) He walks the same street as it appears he lives in the area.
    3) The cops know him
    4) He carries legally

Again; he must not have the money to hire a attorney to file harassment charges, unlawful detainment and what ever else a lawyer can no doubt come up with.

We do not live is a "Your paperzz please" country. I hope we never do.

I understand LE's necessity and duty to investigate a crime. There was no crime committed here nor does there appear to be probable cause.

This is NOT the movie "The Minority Report"

PC. Probable cause. Guess what? If LE wishes to have PC, they can easily manufacture it on the spot. Anyone who believes they can't probably hears Tatoo saying "Welcome to fantasy island"

If we don't exercise our right to OC, then why bother have a law that allows it?
    If we don't exercise the right, it will disappear.

I can hear the state now, "Well Mr. Chairman, no one really carries openly so we may has well do away with that aspect."

I may OC in the future as a exercise of my rights.

We don't want to be hassled or come close to being under the microscope of those that are charged with supposedly keeping the peace.

I'm certain the German people didn't want to be questioned by the SS concerning their neighbors either; though it was sure less (HASSLE) to cooperate with the jack booted thugs.

I am sick of many calling these people baiters.
    Maybe they are; yet I agree with them (IF) it is lawful in what they are doing and I appreciate their guts for doing it.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

ya know.. i dont open carry as a general rule.. in the places i have to go, it draws waay too much of the kind of attention you dont want from the kinds of people you dont want near you... HOWEVER... if i were open carrying in a location where it was suitable and not inappropriate, and I was asked by police what I was generally doing and that they were responding to a MWAG call..

I would comply with providing ID of course.. no issue there.. but if there is no reasonable assumption or suspicion of a crime, I dont think I would allow them to trample all over me making me think what I was doign was illegal.. and respectfully remind them that unless I am inciting a riot by my actions, one person or persons anxiety over a legal behavior is not reason to detain a citizen otherwise engaged in said legal behavior, and that the complainant should be educated as such.

Now if this is the 5th, 6th, 7th time I've been stopped in an area where I otherwise have every right to be, or in my own neighborhood, I think I too would start becoming defensive and while irritated, would try to remain respectful but be more assertive in the protection and exercise of my rights.

Theres a difference between legally declining to provide ID (where it is not legally required) and basically telling the cop F U with a smile.. thats crossing a line of disrespect that is not needed. You can assert your rights without being a doink.
    jibbr71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hartlathers View Post
    Open carry is foolish. This guy stated he couldn't get a license to conceal carry because of a prior drug conviction. He shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. This type of garbage just turns into more media fodder for the anti gun movement. But that's okay, right? Because he's excersizing his "right" to open carry. Nevermind that guns scare people. It's still his right to scare those people and how dare they call the police because they witness someone walking down the street with a gun.
    If his state laws allow it, then he SHOULD be allowed to own a gun. Who are you to make that decision?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post

Now if this is the 5th, 6th, 7th time I've been stopped in an area where I otherwise have every right to be, or in my own neighborhood, I think I too would start becoming defensive and while irritated, would try to remain respectful but be more assertive in the protection and exercise of my rights.

Theres a difference between legally declining to provide ID (where it is not legally required) and basically telling the cop F U with a smile.. thats crossing a line of disrespect that is not needed. You can assert your rights without being a doink.
    I would bet the 1st through 5th stops looked very similar to this one, and the LEOs are just as sick of dealing with this dude as he is with them. Unfortunately, it would be negligent for the PD to not at least do a roll by on a MWAG call(I also feel that dispatch should be a little more inquisitive of a 911 caller, but I don't know how that conversation went in this case), and once they saw this guy, they probably decided to rattle his cage some, as he has been less than pleasant in the past(just my assumption, but probably not too far off) IF I was open carrying, I would not hesitate to provide an interviewing officer with ID, I'm just a nice guy, and their job is hard enough, but then again, the last 5 LEOs that I had contact with(I know several in town due to business dealings) had no idea that I was armed, nor did the rest of the public, and that's just the way I like it. I don't carry to make a point, I carry to defend myself and my family, so open carrying will probably never be an issue for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links