CHL for Texans over 60 years old.

This is a discussion on CHL for Texans over 60 years old. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just checked on the information to renew my CHL which is due next year and found out that Texas will give a 50 percent ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By rangefinder

Thread: CHL for Texans over 60 years old.

I just checked on the information to renew my CHL which is due next year and found out that Texas will give a 50 percent discount to all Texans over the age of 60, that apply for a first time CHL or a renewal of their CHL before it expires. I am over 60 so I will pay $35 instead of $70 to renew my CHL. That is for the State Fee and you still have the cost of the class. With my savings I may be able to buy a couple of bullets.
    P.S. Other states may have a discount so do check.

Here is the info on the discount.

GC §411.195. REDUCTION OF FEES FOR SENIOR CITIZENS. Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter, the department shall reduce by 50 percent any fee required for the issuance of an orig-inal, duplicate, modified, or renewed license under this subchapter if the applicant for the license is 60 years of age or older.

Keep safe and practice practice and practice.

Tony1990

VIP Member
    OK-- 35 bucks for the state; 50 bucks for the range test and class to get the CHL100 No more fingerprints and mug
    shots on renewals; usually.

A few trips to the range to make sure you can find the target before the test and that you know the routine,
    toss in a few bucks for range fees and a few for ammo, and a few more for cleaning supplies, and pretty soon
    you are talking real money.

Its all pretty reasonable until someone on limited resources needs to come up with the bucks. Then the PA
    25 buck permit starts to look good. Constitutional carry starts to look better.

Still, I like our TX system. It ain't free of all problems but it seems to work fairly well. I doubt that the
    Loughner like characters in this world would pass a range test. Same for the Aurora/Holmes creep.

You have to be able to pay attention to the instructions, and those mental cases probably couldn't focus.
    Or, they would have creeped out an instructor who might have said something to DPS.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

They also have a 50% veteran discount also,I know an CHL Instructor that charged me $0 for the renewal class,$35 license fee total $35 five years.
    Texas appreciates their Vets If your a disabled Vet in Texas you get the Super Combo fishing/hunting license for free
    68blackbird likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If the state requires a class and test, Texas is OK. I have not had to go through Colorado yet. This year will be the year. Not looking for any of that to improve, with our Gov.

VIP Member
    Wish other states did that for their seniors and Vet's.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    IMO most states such as Florida, $117 for the initial CWFL, is just another means to produce revenue and if not why is there a year ending budget surplus each and every year that is carried over to the next budget year. Why not reduce the surplus by reducing the license fees.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

I renewed on-line this past year. The cost was $35 (age 63). Since it was my fourth renewal I wasn't required to take the course or shoot, or get a new photo. I just had to OK the records search.

Next renewal I'll have to do the course, shoot and get a photo.

I am hoping to see the time when the third or fourth renewal is for ten years.
    oldnfat likes this.
    USN Retired

Links