What do you guys think about this video? - Page 3

What do you guys think about this video?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think about this video? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Based on several of the comments it appears, in my opinion, we have members that are LEO's and agree that they have the right to ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: What do you guys think about this video?

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Based on several of the comments it appears, in my opinion, we have members that are LEO's and agree that they have the right to not follow the law and violate a persons rights. The DOJ has stated on numerous occasions that it is illeagal to demand ID unless a person has violated a law, and is being charged. Case in point, the undocumented illegals presently in our country.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    He presented no deadly force. No more danger to the LEO at the stop as he would have been at a Wendy's.
    If the guy in the video was just walking by with a gun he was not a problem for the cop. When he became a danger is when he approached and became part of the traffic stop. DR
    68blackbird likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    1. I do not consider myself a "sheep."
    2. I in NO WAY consider myself "as bad as the people out there right now calling for strict gun laws"

Just because I do not agree with your opinion does not give you the right to resort to lumping me in with the mentioned groups. The guy in the video(at least the amount of it I could watch) was "looking for a fight". Approaching a LEO while he was conducting business, video in hand, that had nothing to with him was wrong. That is MY opinion, and I did not resort to name calling with anyone who disagreed with me...state your opinion on the subject and move.
    Like it or not, your opinion is that the cop was rightful in doing something illegal. That LEO is above the law he has sworn to uphold and protect.
    If the video taper was that much of a danger to LEO, he should have arrested him on the spot. Instead, he chose to go about his business, follow the taper and then later confront him. Any danger that was presented was past and done.
    And also like it or not, you are condoning rights restrictions. So, I will lump you into that crowd. If you're so offended, then think why you're offended-- probably because I struck a nerve.
    You cannot be half pregnant. You are either for rights protection or not.
    chuckusaret and Ghost1958 like this.

GH
    He was interfering with the business at hand. With an armed citizen pestering him while trying to talk to the person he stopped originally he was obstructing an investigation, immaterial whether he was armed or not. Him being openly armed certainly presented a risk to the officer. Of course not any more of a risk than if he was carrying concealed but the cop knew he was armed. I'd be awfully careful about turning my back to continue with the original investigation.

In a nutshell - the guy was an idiot, legal or not.
    68blackbird, kb2wji and SIG_guy like this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Being an idiot is not illegal. If it was, we wouldn't have Nickelback.
    SIG_guy and ruso like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    Police Confront Man for Open Carrying Firearm Legally - YouTube

I'm all for open carry and such...BUT seriously, this dude was being a hard headed punk. What's so hard about just showing the cop and ID? If i was a cop doing a traffic stop and a dude walks up to me with a gun on the side, I would be on the alert side too..

I sure hope this dude in the video isn't a member of this site or other gun sites. He shouldn't own a firearm.
    I've got to be honest, I'm really sick of people on this forum deciding who should and shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm. So many 2nd Amendment supporters, and yet so many people deciding who does and doesn't have the right.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Amen, Pat

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Based on several of the comments it appears, in my opinion, we have members that are LEO's and agree that they have the right to not follow the law and violate a persons rights. The DOJ has stated on numerous occasions that it is illeagal to demand ID unless a person has violated a law, and is being charged. Case in point, the undocumented illegals presently in our country.
    Quite simply, he IS breaking the law. I'll ask for "papers" out of courtesy. Otherwise, he'll be booked as John Doe.
    Last edited by kb2wji; January 1st, 2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: after re-reading, my post was a bit abrasive...sorry!
    68blackbird likes this.

When LEO asked him to leave, he did. Please show me the statute he broke.

When LEO asked him to leave, he did. Please show me the statute he broke.
    He did not leave, he stepped back on to the curb. And as You alluded to above If I were that cop I would have arrested him!

Pittypat I have not suggested in this thread that we restrict any ones right to a gun. Only that what the camera man did was wrong and why! DR

So, by what you are saying, I legally can not be anywhere near a cop when he is pulling someone over or doing any routine stop. Not even on the curb looking on.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Re: What do you guys think about this video?

The guy may be an idiot, but many of the police in Santa Fe and Albuquerque do not know the laws about open carry. A friend's 21 y/o son was open carrying on a motorcycle in Albuquerque, and was arrested and his motorcycle and gun impounded. They got all charges dropped and everything back, with the help of a detective, with damage to the motorcycle by the towing company, and of course no compensation. Furthermore, I think it's essential that citizens be allowed to film police, for purposes of accountability.

But yeah, bad move by that guy in general.
    carracer likes this.

So, by what you are saying, I legally can not be anywhere near a cop when he is pulling someone over or doing any routine stop. Not even on the curb looking on.
    No I don't think that at all. I do think by interfering he made himself part of the problem, and being armed compounded the problems. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    He did not leave, he stepped back on to the curb. And as You alluded to above If I were that cop I would have arrested him!

Pittypat I have not suggested in this thread that we restrict any ones right to a gun. Only that what the camera man did was wrong and why! DR
    Dangerranger, you'll note that I did not quote you when I made my comment.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    The guy may be an idiot, but many of the police in Santa Fe and Albuquerque do not know the laws about open carry. A friend's 21 y/o son was open carrying on a motorcycle in Albuquerque, and was arrested and his motorcycle and gun impounded. They got all charges dropped and everything back, with the help of a detective, with damage to the motorcycle by the towing company, and of course no compensation. Furthermore, I think it's essential that citizens be allowed to film police, for purposes of accountability.

But yeah, bad move by that guy in general.
    OC wasn't the problem here, and neither was filming the cop. Combining the two was a bad idea, and interfering in the performance of his duty's is illegal. DR

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links