What do you guys think about this video?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think about this video? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Roger Rocky. I was posting as you were....

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: What do you guys think about this video?

VIP Member
    Roger Rocky. I was posting as you were.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have read some good posts about this incident and I agree with some but not all. I watched the video three times this morning and IMO, the guy violated no law and did as the officer directed. The interaction between the officer and video guy should have ended, then and there, but the officer chose to follow the guy and confront him, and did so, and called for backup. The two LEO's then attempted to trample on the guys rights either willfully or because of the lack of training, but failed because the guy new his rights and refused to give in. Incidents where LEO's trample on our rights are common occurrence. Why do we not see reports of such willful violations? If a complaint/lawsuit is brought forward against an officer(s) they are reviewed by the Chief, town/city/ county manager and the departments/town/city/county attorney, and as in this case if it had escalated to an arrest, I am quite sure all, based on the video, would have recommended an out of court settlement. Why? To prevent or reduce the bad press, a long drawn out court case, the departments possible high defense legal costs and union involvement.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    I'm sorry, did I miss something, or did I just read a bunch of you agreeing to the fact that LEO did something that goes against the his state's law? Idiot? Don't need this? Wait, are you all in agreement that he should be stopped for doing something COMPLETELY WITHIN HIS RIGHTS?????
    This cop is ignorant and has absolutely no right to ask for his ID. I'm hoping he was reprimanded for this.
    I can not believe you people are agreeing to this. You are being sheep and as bad as the people out there right now calling for strict gun laws.
    I really thought people on this forum would know better.
    not being a sheep.. it's all about respect and being courteous. Just because we're allowed to do something doesn't mean we go all out and do it carelessly/abuse it. Just not very good in the eyes of anti-gunners. There's always those few who ruins it for others.

open carry is legal in my state, but doesn't mean i should just intentionally walk up to an officer who is doing his job. It's just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I've got to be honest, I'm really sick of people on this forum deciding who should and shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm. So many 2nd Amendment supporters, and yet so many people deciding who does and doesn't have the right.
    well quite honestly, i'm more interested in seeing gun owners who are courteous and responsible. Same thing with car drivers. Some people seriously shouldn't even be able to come within 10ft of a car. Some people are just idiots. He didn't do anything illegal, but what was the whole point of him going up to the cop again? to prove, he can OC and cops can't touch him? I'm sorry, but i've had my share of idiots in my life and idiots will eventually do idiotic things intentionally or accidentally.

this idiot was intentionally looking for a confrontation. It's not like he was just strolling along minding his own business and the cop demanded an ID. com'on.. It's legal to OC, but let's not be an idiot.
    Bubbiesdad and kb2wji like this.

I'm fighting the urge to post on the You tube page. I made a New Years resolution.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Re: What do you guys think about this video?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    I'm fighting the urge to post on the You tube page. I made a New Years resolution.
    Yes, resist with all your willpower. It's a complete tarpit. Don't do it!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar

Open Carry

Anyone who takes a camera while he's open carry is taking up valuble time as police have much better things to do.
    This guy looking to antaganize the first cop who stopped him!We do not need this type of behavior in any community
    in light of all the trageties we've had. This guy would be the first to cry if someone was at his workplace video taping
    him at his employment.Anyone who's worked in management has one; he's the ass that takes up 80 percent of my time
    coaching him and making sure I've cya. The eighty twenty rule is appropriate.I could go on but I'd be redundant!
    kb2wji and Ksgunner like this.

I'm all for defending our rights. But men and women who wander around, openly armed, and carrying rolling video cameras are looking for an encounter. For a political statement, for youtube fame, whatever. Its stupid. Its a waste of officers time. Its all over the internet and it inspires stupidity in others.

How hard is it, and how much of an inconvenience is it to show your ID to a police officer upon request? Its not a violation of your rights. Segregation is a violation of your rights. Being held without trial is a violation of your rights. Not getting a fair trial is a violation of your rights. Showing your ID, even when not legally required to, is not.

I've been asked for ID before for no other reason that a police officer wanted to confirm my legal ability to carry a firearm. I handed it over. a minute or so later, I got it back with a 'thank you for your cooperation and have a nice day'. How hard was that? It wasn't. It didn't ruin my day. It didn't make me late for anything. It was out of professional respect that I complied. That, and a wish for not prolonging the situation and/or making it worse.

Stop with the 'I'm not required to show you ID officer. Statute blah blah blah. What am I doing wrong officer? Why are you asking for ID officer? Am I being detained officer?' Just shut up, show your ID and be on your way.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    It's just not a good idea to antagonize the police. It may be legal to open carry where he is,but how do the police know he is eligable to be in possession of a hand gun. How do they know he is not a convicted felon. In this situation I have to agree with the police, just show me yourm ID so I can assure my safety, and your NOT breaking any laws. Put yourself in their shoes. An unknown threat with a gun, maybe he's a GG and maybe he's a BG. That's red alert, or you haven't been paying attention in situational awareness class.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZ View Post
    How hard is it, and how much of an inconvenience is it to show your ID to a police officer upon request? Its not a violation of your rights.
    Lets remove the gun from the equation. Let's say your a black American, a combat veteran. Wearing a hoodie on your way home from work. You are detained for no reason what so ever and asked to provide ID. This happens to you over and over. Is that a violation of your rights? You're damn right it is. This is the USA, not NAZI Germany. You can give up your liberty if you want to, but do not expect me to do the same.
    d2jlking likes this.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    That is a great guideline for what not to do

Traffic stops are very dangerous for LEO's - wrt any and all occupants in the vehicle and traffic. Anyone approaching a stop is distracting the officer and thus interfering with him/her doing his/her duty. I'm normally on the side of the OC'er in these vids, but this guy was a jerk and got exactly what he deserved - actually he deserved to be proned out when he approached the stop.

I haven't read the whole thread, but, based on some of the initial responses, some of you have a very uneducated opinion on law enforcement matters. I will defend the second amendment and the right to carry, open or concealed, to the death, but I am also a law enforcement officer and I live in reality. As a citizen it is your right to film police in public and, in many jurisdictions, open carry is legal. However, it is not legal to intentionally introduce yourself into a law enforcement officers official business, especially with a camera and a gun. That is a very real threat to the officer and the other party involved. When I am on duty nobody will approach me while I am conducting business; if they do, they will receive a serious verbal warning. If that someone has a firearm and is uncooperative then they will be met by the muzzle end of mine and they will be introduced to handcuffs. I don't require that citizens respect me or my position, but they will do what they are told, like it or not.

Some of you also need to learn about reasonable suspicion and probable cause. You don't have to "do anything wrong" to be stopped and detained by the police. You only have to be present in circumstances where a reasonable person would suspect that you are, were, or are going to be involved in criminal behavior. Approaching an officer who is on official business while you have a firearm is an officer safety issue and meets that criteria.
    Snub44 and SIG_guy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 38special View Post
    When I am on duty nobody will approach me while I am conducting business; if they do, they will receive a serious verbal warning. If that someone has a firearm and is uncooperative then they will be met by the muzzle end of mine and they will be introduced to handcuffs.
    Hello 38special. Welcome to the conversation. I take it you have watched the video? Please show where the man with the gun was uncooperative. Your threats to point a firearm at and handcuff a law abiding citizen who obeys your orders shows exactly what the problem is. You Sir, are coming off as a just another bully with a badge.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    Hello 38special. Welcome to the conversation. I take it you have watched the video? Please show where the man with the gun was uncooperative. Your threats to point a firearm at and handcuff a law abiding citizen who obeys your orders shows exactly what the problem is. You Sir, are coming off as a just another bully with a badge.
    38special's point is this, the man with the video tape shows up on an active crime scene which is the traffic stop. Many people have already put this on here already but I will do it for you again, it is illegal to interfere with the offical duties of a peace officer. Use your honest interpertation of that! Is this police officer conducting official business you damn right he is that is why his lights are on and he has a vehicle pulled over for traffic/moving violation.

I stand with many other honest hard working people who believe in rights and the constitution, as an LEO I will tell you like I have told many people before, I am certain that I have a better understanding of the laws in my jurisdiction than you do, I am a duely certified and appointed police officer, and have a good relationship with me district attorney and understand how he interprets law and if I have the reasonable assurance that if I make a decision to prone you out for not giving me space to execute my duties as a peace office, check your I.D. and determine you are or aren't legally allowed to have the weapon (OK LAW you must have an OK self defense act card which identifies you as legal to carry openly) I then determine if your behavior has interfered with my official duties which for sake of argument I believe you have, you are getting a ride to county lock up.

Everyone has their own interpertation of the law, realize your views may or may not be the views of the DA in your area and therfore you will loose. Dont come on here and view some stupid youtube video and sharpshoot someone whom you will never walk in their shoes. The idiots that go out looking for **** to stir up are the reason why serious lawful gun owners and peopoe who are carrying concealed feel like their rights are stripped away with new gun legislation. I know I know your right and I am wrong you have all this worldly knowledge about how the life of an LEO is in no danger even in the slightest because of some attention seeking @sshole.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links