What do you guys think about this video?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think about this video? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Police Confront Man for Open Carrying Firearm Legally - YouTube I'm all for open carry and such...BUT seriously, this dude was being a hard headed ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: What do you guys think about this video?

What do you guys think about this video?

Police Confront Man for Open Carrying Firearm Legally - YouTube

I'm all for open carry and such...BUT seriously, this dude was being a hard headed punk. What's so hard about just showing the cop and ID? If i was a cop doing a traffic stop and a dude walks up to me with a gun on the side, I would be on the alert side too..

I sure hope this dude in the video isn't a member of this site or other gun sites. He shouldn't own a firearm.
    rugergunner and nedrgr21 like this.

2. Remove Ads

What a moron...

Dude went looking for trouble.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Exactly what we don't need.
    GH, glockman10mm and Spirit51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Exactly what we don't need.

Concur...

Idiots like this guy give us all a bad name.

TCA 39-17-305. Disorderly conduct. —

(a) A person commits an offense who, in a public place and with intent to cause public annoyance or alarm:
    (1) Engages in fighting or in violent or threatening behavior;
    (2) Refuses to obey an official order to disperse issued to maintain public safety in dangerous proximity to a fire, hazard or other emergency; or
    (3) Creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act that serves no legitimate purpose.
    (b) A person also violates this section who makes unreasonable noise that prevents others from carrying on lawful activities.
    (c) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Sorry, but I would have had this guy in handcuffs after he refused to leave.

(edit:) On the plus side, the guy that was stopped would have gotten a free pass that day. I would have cut him loose in a hurry. Too many variables in that situation for a LEO to handle safely. Once the guy hovering over you with a gun refuses to leave, he is priority #1.
    NewtownSam, GH, mulle46 and 1 others like this.

I think this video is all about the numbskull with the camera. He doesn't seem to care about anyone else...
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

They are several of these "right to carry open" goofballs on YT trying to prove something. IMHO, they are just making most law abiding citizens look bad....please note my signiture.....☟ nuff said.. ☟
    justintimeagain and kb2wji like this.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

VIP Member
    I think people should stop wasting valuable band-width by linking this type of garbage.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Mike, with all due respect, I disagree.

Posting that video and holding this discussion is not "a waste of bandwidth."

The signal-to-noise ratio here is strong. We have at least three items worthy of consideration, items that come up frequently on this board. To wit:

1. Open carry
    2. Requirement to display ID
    3. Proper interaction with LEO

And maybe we could add a fourth - use of video camera to record police activity, which is a sensitive subject.

First off, the guy who made this video is a total douchebag. You do not antagonize police officers on the job. I mean, sure, you can, but you're asking to get tasered, cuffed, and taken downtown. Is that good? No. Is that necessarily legal? No. But it's what is likely to happen.

This clown was almost begging for a bad confrontation. Per Hiibel vs. Nevada, the police can ask you to produce ID and after that ruling, well, they can arrest you for failure to comply (if they so desire). I thought that was a bad ruling. In my life experience, if the police ask you to "show me some ID" and you haven't done anything wrong, then as an American citizen you have every right to give them your middle finger and tell them to "buzz off."

But after Hiibel, things are different.

Can you videotape officers conducting their duties? This varies by jurisdiction, but it's almost always a risky move.

Can you open carry? Even where legal, approaching an officer with an openly displayed firearm is a very risky move.

So here, I'd opine that the dude in question should have concealed his firearm (if legal) before approaching the scene. He should have been surreptitious about filming the traffic stop, and on request to show ID he probably should have done so. Not because he was legally obligated to follow the officer's orders, but because cooperating with police is usually better than getting into some kind of altercation with them.

As a student of history, I've read many cases of cops behaving quite badly. Antagonizing them for no good reason seems to be a really bad move. Regardless of the "law" and your "rights," needling the po-po usually turns out badly.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Mike, with all due respect, I disagree.

Posting that video and holding this discussion is not "a waste of bandwidth."

The signal-to-noise ratio here is strong. We have at least three items worthy of consideration, items that come up frequently on this board. To wit:

1. Open carry
    2. Requirement to display ID
    3. Proper interaction with LEO

And maybe we could add a fourth - use of video camera to record police activity, which is a sensitive subject.

First off, the guy who made this video is a total douchebag. You do not antagonize police officers on the job. I mean, sure, you can, but you're asking to get tasered, cuffed, and taken downtown. Is that good? No. Is that necessarily legal? No. But it's what is likely to happen.

This clown was almost begging for a bad confrontation. Per Hiibel vs. Nevada, the police can ask you to produce ID and after that ruling, well, they can arrest you for failure to comply (if they so desire). I thought that was a bad ruling. In my life experience, if the police ask you to "show me some ID" and you haven't done anything wrong, then as an American citizen you have every right to give them your middle finger and tell them to "buzz off."

But after Hiibel, things are different.

Can you videotape officers conducting their duties? This varies by jurisdiction, but it's almost always a risky move.

Can you open carry? Even where legal, approaching an officer with an openly displayed firearm is a very risky move.

So here, I'd opine that the dude in question should have concealed his firearm (if legal) before approaching the scene. He should have been surreptitious about filming the traffic stop, and on request to show ID he probably should have done so. Not because he was legally obligated to follow the officer's orders, but because cooperating with police is usually better than getting into some kind of altercation with them.

As a student of history, I've read many cases of cops behaving quite badly. Antagonizing them for no good reason seems to be a really bad move. Regardless of the "law" and your "rights," needling the po-po usually turns out badly.
    A million and a half views of a db in a nine-minute video is wasted bandwidth.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    This has been posted before. The man is a trouble maker. He's just looking to make his 30 seconds of fame on You Tube. Anyone who's out driving around, looking for a LEO to have a confrontation with deserves anything he gets. To bad he didn't run up against Officer Harless (Canton Ohio LEO).
    justintimeagain likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    This has been posted before. The man is a trouble maker. He's just looking to make his 30 seconds of fame on You Tube. Anyone who's out driving around, looking for a LEO to have a confrontation with deserves anything he gets. To bad he didn't run up against Officer Harless (Canton Ohio LEO).
    I heard officer Dan got his job back, so there is still hope.
    Tuco

It has been made very clear in Ohio, doesn't mean the cops follow this lol, a person can not be stopped just because they open carry. They can't even stop a person because someone reports someone is walking around with a gun. We do not have to give our id. We do not live in a police state where we have to walk around with papers to show who we are. This being said the guy in this video was looking for trouble.

Cincinnati police chief advises staff of legality regarding open carry of a firearm in Ohio
    Attached Images
    MamaMaria and Pro2A like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Re: What do you guys think about this video?

That was done in Santa Fe New Mexico where they don't much care for guns. State law allows for open carry and cc with permit. That guy is a complete retard and should have been tazed the second he approached the leo's vehicle with his stupid camera. I am all about holding police accountable with video but this is stupid.You can't outlaw stupidity and this guy broke no laws requiring to show proof of id. Jmo. By the way after sandy hook the city of Santa Fe is drafting a gun buy back program to according to there mayor"make Santa fe a safer place ". The money will come out of the police departments budget and he expects the state to"chip in"also.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm sorry, did I miss something, or did I just read a bunch of you agreeing to the fact that LEO did something that goes against the his state's law? Idiot? Don't need this? Wait, are you all in agreement that he should be stopped for doing something COMPLETELY WITHIN HIS RIGHTS?????
    This cop is ignorant and has absolutely no right to ask for his ID. I'm hoping he was reprimanded for this.
    I can not believe you people are agreeing to this. You are being sheep and as bad as the people out there right now calling for strict gun laws.
    I really thought people on this forum would know better.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links