Confusing terminology

This is a discussion on Confusing terminology within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Oklahoma with permit. Can I or can I not carry a magazine tube loaded shotgun in my Jeep? TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A ...

Thread: Confusing terminology

Confusing terminology

In Oklahoma with permit. Can I or can I not carry a magazine tube loaded shotgun in my Jeep?

TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM
    Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
    Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
    Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.
    Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry a handgun, concealed or unconcealed, and is carrying a handgun or has the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

Dono

2. Remove Ads

As long as it's not chambered you're cool.

The second section is referring back to the first to deal with carrying loaded firearms in the vehicle, and the first is saying that the second doesn't matter with regard to loaded firearms if you're a permit holder.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Reading it with that bit of information make sense. Thank you.

VIP Member
    Be sure to check the state game laws also, some states prohibit any loaded long guns in a vehicle.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I run on a legal philosophy that make me believe if there are two laws that conflict with each other, the one least restrictive to the citizen applies.

Also, I was told by a certified concealed handgun license course instructor who also happens to be a county sheriff that it's legal, so I say it's fair game.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Yea, like paaiyan said, as long as there's not one in the chamber you're good. The first paragraph states the rules for permit holders, while the second states the rules for everybody else that does NOT have a permit.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Links