Why would a business require open carry, but not allow concealed carry?

This is a discussion on Why would a business require open carry, but not allow concealed carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read on a couple of threads about businesses requiring open carry if a patron is going to carry at all. Why would that be?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why would a business require open carry, but not allow concealed carry?

I've read on a couple of threads about businesses requiring open carry if a patron is going to carry at all. Why would that be?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Links?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Virginia used to require open carry in places that sold alcohol for consumption on the premesis, if I recall correctly.

That is the only occasion I can think of where that might of happpened, but the law got changed a year or two ago.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    You're right buckeye.45, Virginia used to require open carry in any establishment that sold alcohol for on premises consumption. There were many places I had to remove my cover until the law changed.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My guess is because BGs don't OC. Other than that, no idea.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

1. Owner believes in the 2nd and a supports the right o open carry 100% does not think you need to hide it
    2. Owner would rather know who has one and who don't

I have a few friends that refuse to CC they are 100% open carry and still live for the day it is the way it will be done.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Virginia used to require open carry in places that sold alcohol for consumption on the premesis, if I recall correctly.

That is the only occasion I can think of where that might of happpened, but the law got changed a year or two ago.
    Actually the way the law was written, until a few years ago. Conceal carry was prohibited in places that sold alcohol for consumption on premise. Virginia is an open carry state and state law did not prohibit open carry in those establishment.
    Spec likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually the way the law was written, until a few years ago. Conceal carry was prohibited in places that sold alcohol for consumption on premise. Virginia is an open carry state and state law did not prohibit open carry in those establishment.
    What about consumption of alcohol while CC? I have heard conflicting information on this. While I don't condone drinking while carrying, I do enjoy a good hard cider with my meal now and again. This is 1 drink during the course of an hour accompanied by a meal.
    Truth is treason in an empire of lies - Ron Paul
    No b@stard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb b@stard die for his country. - General George S. Patton

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL it is legal, though I'm sure we all feel it's unwise. And in FL it's legal to defend one's self with a firearm when intoxicated. The state realizes even drunks have the right to self defense. But in the latter case I'd expect some serious legal expenses without a clear-cut SD case.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow247 View Post
    What about consumption of alcohol while CC? I have heard conflicting information on this. While I don't condone drinking while carrying, I do enjoy a good hard cider with my meal now and again. This is 1 drink during the course of an hour accompanied by a meal.
    18.2-308 (J.3.): No person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises. A person who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of such a restaurant or club and consumes alcoholic beverages is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, nothing in this subsection shall apply to a federal, state, or local law-enforcement officer.
    If your conceal carrying you are prohibited by law from drinking. Strangely if you are open carrying nothing prohibits it that I am aware of. Of course since I don't drink, I've never looked that hard into it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

THat is where the term "Virginia Tuck" came from.

The state required you to un-conceal when entering restaurant that served.......
    carracer likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

One of my local gun shops has a sign stating that open carry is encouraged. I have never seen a required sign.
    carracer likes this.

Perhaps as the AL Supreme Court (1840) they feel that concealed carry is "the evil practice of carrying weapons secretly," and as th Atty General stated "Every man was still left free to carry arms openly, the only manner in which they could be used for defensive purposes."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Sounds funny I've only ever encountered the exact opposite... usually at local gun shops...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

In Michigan, you have to OC if you are entering a Pistol Free Zone... You can't CC, but can OC in a PFZ, with a permit.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links