Open carry or concealed? - Page 3

Open carry or concealed?

This is a discussion on Open carry or concealed? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there a smiley Icon for a "Can of Worms" alert? Would seem appropriate here if there were. CC, OC, depends on where I am ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Open carry or concealed?

Is there a smiley Icon for a "Can of Worms" alert?

Would seem appropriate here if there were.

CC, OC, depends on where I am and what I'm doing and with whom. Should be up to the individual in my view as there are so many pros and cons that people seemed concerned with. If you are keeping yourself and others safe, carrying responsibly and not being weird, creepy or aggressive-looking, giving gun owners a bad image, then you are doing your part and should be proud of your choice!

Cheers!

Gav
    carracer likes this.

I live in an open carry friendly area, Pahrump NV. If a bad guy with a concealed weapon went into a business for no good, and there was someone with an open carry. Who do you suppose would be the first one shot in the back of the head?

Does this happen a lot? Do you hear about OCers being "shot first?" Not really, eh? Why is that I wonder? Could it be that criminals are fundamentally cowards who look for unarmed targets, as a rule? I'm not trying to tear down the reasons for CC, I do that the majority of the time, but rather dispel some of the misconceptions about OC, id est, that we'll be shot first, have our weapons taken from us, etc. Not saying it never, ever happens, but a trained OCer with a retention holster, some decent gun retention training and a healthy dose of SA is, in my view, far safer than someone not carrying at all.

But really, to each his own. Just sayin' we shouldn't be tearing each other down since we're all on the same side, right? Which is that of proud Americans who choose to defend themselves and our freedoms in a time of darkness, misinformation and general ickyness.
    AK_Brian and Ogre like this.

Could we have this thread stickied so the trolls don't have to create a new one every week or so?

I hate when I walk into a store OCing and get shot by the baddies first. I swear it happens every other day. Then they follow my zombified corpse home to steal the rest of my firearms.

I've already replied sincerely to this thread - now I had to get my troll response out. :P
    danwdooley, carracer and pfries like this.

Depends on circumstances, where I'll be, how I travel, etc. For over 30 years I carried openly on duty, and either way off duty depending on what I was doing and where. During hunting season before I was a LEO I found that my S&W with 8-3/8 barrel was always very "open" yet I never was questioned or stared at. I used to work a gas station part time and when alone some shifts, I openly carried there as well.

Va. has always been an "open carry / no permit required state". The only carry that requires a permit is concealed carry (LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308).

Yes, we've had some individuals openly carrying (to "bait" some said, but I think it's just as likely they just wanted to educate people and to desensitize them to what is a lawful act). I answered several MWAG calls over the years (you have to respond and determine if in fact a crime has been or is being committed), arrive, observe the alledged perp maybe if still present, ask complainant what was the problem .... and unless they described an instance of "brandishing" .... or they (or I if known on sight ) identified the person as a known felon (thus prohibited from pocessing) or other violation (LIS > Code of Virginia > Title 18.2 > Chapter 7 ) .... I just explained the legality and left it at that.

The reason that so many MWAG calls are made (I think) is precisely because people don't know when / where it is legal. These poor misguided complainants are simply victims of the left's propaganda. One year during "in-service" training they (my Dept) spent some time on this very issue after a couple county officers up north got themselves and their dept sued over an improper reaction to lawfully open carrying citizens.

Complainants aren't always satisfied with a proper response maybe .... but they'll get over it.
    NRA Life Member

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I would rather carry open.....however, due to my commuting habits in Virginia I have to carry concealed most of the time. I'm in a very very very weird predicament in virginia and open carrying. However, when not commuting I would rather open carry.

In todays modern world and everybody wearing Batman style belts with 13 Cell phones. I litterly have people look at my gun and think its a cell phone. The people that notice are the 5 years olds. I saw a Guy wearing a cell phone today that was the size of a smart CAR!!!! Also, I did a double take today when I saw a guy wearing a large cell phone at his 3 o clock and another cell phone at his 9 o clock. I was well at least hes got good placement.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

No need to let everyone know my business comcealed for me all the time...unless I am at my parents farm, I have always carried a gun on my hip while working around the farm but no need to worry about advertising there.
    FlaRon likes this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I'm just speculating the OC'er in this scenario. I could maybe see this if you were the only customer in the store and you just happened to be standing next to the BG and he wanted another gun, your money, and your car. On the other hand he may be a real thug, baggy clothes, hat pulled down, cant hardly see and as he reaches to pull his gun it gets caught up in the baggy messy clothing giving the OC'er time to react.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Open carry or concealed?

Ugh.

I carry on my belt in a Bianchi CarryLok. If my shirt is untucked I'm concealed, if it's tucked I'm open carrying I guess.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I OC primarily, CC at work, funerals, and weddings. There will be exceptions to the last two but they have not happened yet.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Def concealed but just to think about open carry here in NY? I mean we can only have 7 rounds for crying out loud. Can only imagine how people would freak out

Everyone has their preference and reasons for it. My position is, just carry. That you carry where ever and whenever legally allowed to do so is much more important than your chosen mode of carry.

I do have a choice - and I choose concealed.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    ah heck, not this again
    Quote Originally Posted by DFuller View Post
    Depends where I'm going. Most often concealed for me
    aus71383; I do have a choice - and I choose concealed.
    Well I used to think why advertise, keep it covered, would wonder about people giving me nasty looks while walking way around me. OMG what will my children and friends think?

But given the way all of the talking lately by the about evil guns this, too many rounds that, those awful looking rifles belong in a landfill.

I hope that open carry comes to my area someday too, so I can sling a gun thing=ee over my shoulder while shopping at Piggly Wiggly for ice cream, u-bet chocolate syrup, whip cream, and maraschino cherries!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links