Open carry or concealed? - Page 4

Open carry or concealed?

This is a discussion on Open carry or concealed? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To each his own but I would always want to have mine concealed. The benefit of surprise far out weighs the bad guys knowing what ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Open carry or concealed?

To each his own but I would always want to have mine concealed. The benefit of surprise far out weighs the bad guys knowing what I have.
    FlaRon likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

I typically carry with a owb pancake holster with a sweater or jacket over it. However, I'm not too concerned if it's fully concealed. Easy access is more important to me. Besides, the sheeple never even notice the bottom of the holster. They just wander around in their own little fog.

Cool

I only have a choice hunting or fishing here in Florida for open carry but that's just fine by me.

I like being the "gray man".

"Always carry.Never tell".

Regards,

FlaRon
    II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T. Larkin

For me it's a pretty simple answer. If I'm going to be around anyone I don't know, or in public, my weapon(s) are concealed. I don't want to lose the element of surprise. If I'm around people I know, in a private setting, I don't worry about them seeing what I'm carrying. I know they are carrying as well, because it's who we are.

I don't have any problem with people open carrying, where it's allowed however. When I lived in Arizona it took awhile to get used to the practice. I was in a big box book store when I first observed the practice, and there's a guy browsing the fiction section with a S&W semi auto on his hip, without a badge (which is what I was used to in Georgia). Saw lots of bikers riding with hog legs holstered on their hips. Didn't bother me at all.

Just wouldn't want to lose the element of surprise, so that's why I do what I do. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

[QUOTE=GunsAndViolince;2548357]Does this happen a lot? Do you hear about OCers being "shot first?" Not really, eh? Why is that I wonder? Could it be that criminals are fundamentally cowards who look for unarmed targets, as a rule? I'm not trying to tear down the reasons for CC, I do that the majority of the time, but rather dispel some of the misconceptions about OC, id est, that we'll be shot first, have our weapons taken from us, etc. Not saying it never, ever happens, but a trained OCer with a retention holster, some decent gun retention training and a healthy dose of SA is, in my view, far safer than someone not carrying at all.

But really, to each his own. Just sayin' we shouldn't be tearing each other down since we're all on the same side, right? Which is that of proud Americans who choose to defend themselves and our freedoms in a time of darkness, misinformation and general ickyne

Google open carry gun stolen. It may not happen often, but once would be way too much for me. As far as tearing someone down, I was just answering the question that was asked. Here where I live a good number of people OC. I know that this draws attention to them as I keep a sharp eye on them. When you know for certain that someone can cause you harm, it would be foolish to ignore them.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    In Utah, open carry is legal. I prefer to conceal, see my sig.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I find it funny how vocal concealed carriers are about why their way is better... The truth is, there's no more evidence that shows concealed carry is better than open carry, and vice-versa.

The deciding factor should be:

A: What is legal
    B: What works best for you

Ever think that if we never started carrying concealed that people wouldn't be so dumbfounded when they realize people can, and do, carry a gun? Can you imagine if for just one day, everyone open carried? Maybe some people would wake up and realize there are millions of guns around that don't jump out of holsters and start shooting people.

Maybe.

That's all I have to say about that.

I think we should start a new thread every day asking this same question. AND, it should only be here in the open carry segment. The purpose is two-fold. First, to have all the CC people remind us everyday that the element of surprise is the ultimate defense tactic. And second, well, there are so many second reasons I'll let you fill in the blank. ______________________________ !

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm going to the "Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions" and asking why not OC.

CC vs OC seems to be the biggest point of desention among those of us who choose to carry for self protection, and I don't understand it. We all should carry--by any means.
    AK_Brian and carracer like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    Google open carry gun stolen. It may not happen often, but once would be way too much for me. As far as tearing someone down, I was just answering the question that was asked. Here where I live a good number of people OC. I know that this draws attention to them as I keep a sharp eye on them. When you know for certain that someone can cause you harm, it would be foolish to ignore them.
    Google "conceal carry gun stolen." It doesn't happen often, but is one too much for you in that situation as well?

Aslo, any person who is in normal health can throw a punch that would knock you out cold if they knew how. In other words, anyone can cause you harm, and it's not going to be the guy open carrying a handgun.

So when your playing cards do you show your hand to the table?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sure . . . it's the winning hand.
    Naufragia and carracer like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
    The bolded portion is why many (myself included) do OC as opposed to CC. It lets the BGs know for sure that someone can do them harm. Most BGs are cowards at heart, they will not attack anyone who can defend themselves. If you are CC then Mr. BG can't tell you from a sheep, thus you may still get attacked, then it is a matter of luck and skill-can you draw your weapon and employ it AFTER you have been attacked?

Quote Originally Posted by hartlathers View Post
    So when your playing cards do you show your hand to the table?
    I am not playing poker, I am protecting myself and family, and if I can do that WITHOUT drawing, much less firing my firearm so much the better-I am of the opinion that showing the BG that I CAN defend myself is likely to cause him to search for an easier target.

To use your "poker analogy", if I were showing a Royal Flush, would you bet against me if you were holding 2 pair?
    AK_Brian and carracer like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links