Unloaded OC?

Unloaded OC?

This is a discussion on Unloaded OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to be able to CC without a permit, so I'm comfortable carrying 24/7. While I'm waiting on my CC permit to arrive, and ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 2 Post By Darrow75
  • 1 Post By steffen

Thread: Unloaded OC?

Unloaded OC?

I used to be able to CC without a permit, so I'm comfortable carrying 24/7. While I'm waiting on my CC permit to arrive, and my only option to have any decent sort of weapon is to OC. I have to go to and from a shady neighborhood pretty regularly. I got the idea of going to a nicer neighborhood (full of republicans) and OCing unloaded just to see how it feels for the first time. Thoughts?
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

VIP Member
    If your not going to have the gun loaded, what's the sense of carrying it? Just stick a few rocks in your pocket and go about your business.
    sioux565 and Badey like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Can't recall which states there are that have OC-okay-if-unloaded type statutes, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Spray, knife, firearm in whatever mode of carry is lawful (OC/unloaded, if required to be that way). Fine, I say, if you've got no other options. Just get bloody good at quick mag changes and activating that puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If your not going to have the gun loaded, what's the sense of carrying it? Just stick a few rocks in your pocket and go about your business.
    It's better than nothing, assuming it can be "activated" within a couple seconds. Won't work well with an ambush, no, but it's better than being left there with nothing but your car keys and wallet in your hands as defensive tools.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I see no problem with it. However, why not OC loaded?
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

OC, where legal, is a viable alternative to CC. However if you're not going to keep it loaded then you're better off not carrying it at all. Is there a reason you don't want to OC a loaded sidearm? If that's a requirement of your state or local laws, I can understand, However if safety is your main concern then I would respectfully submit that more training and practice is on order, so that you can feel more comfortable with carrying a loaded firearm. A loaded sidearm in your holster is no more a danger to you or the people around you then an unloaded one, and if you find yourself in a situation where you need it...well you get the idea.

To quote the late great Jeff Cooper, "Note, is this loaded? Of course it's loaded! I carry it that way because if it were not loaded it would be useless."

Open carry is not legal in Denver. I don't think unloaded makes a difference. If you are outside Denver in most of the rest of the state, you don't need a CWP to open carry. You can also keep a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a permit.
    Anubis and steffen like this.

Stay home and unload gun is worthless and may get you killed

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "Can't recall which states there are that have OC-okay-if-unloaded type statutes,..."

CA did until last year(?) but then repealed OC altogether. No sense in having a pointless law on the books.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    I used to be able to CC without a permit, so I'm comfortable carrying 24/7. While I'm waiting on my CC permit to arrive, and my only option to have any decent sort of weapon is to OC. I have to go to and from a shady neighborhood pretty regularly. I got the idea of going to a nicer neighborhood (full of republicans) and OCing unloaded just to see how it feels for the first time. Thoughts?
    I'm still trying to figure out why someone would carry an unloaded gun other than if it is being taken somewhere for repair, just doesn't make much sense to me.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why someone would carry an unloaded gun other than if it is being taken somewhere for repair, just doesn't make much sense to me.
    Simple: in the case described, where apparently not having a CHL yet combines with the only lawful alternative of carrying openly, though OC requires it to be unloaded in that state. IF THAT IS THE CASE, then it makes perfect sense why a person might opt for that mode of carry, at least until the CHL arrives.

Unknown if CO/Denver is such a place. The OP should evaluate the statutes in his state, to be certain. There are some states that allow OC, but without CHL some municipalities that disallow loaded firearms without a CHL.

Otherwise, I agree with you: desiring to carry a firearm yet carrying one unloaded means that, at least for the duration of its being unloaded, one merely has a club and the potential of turning that club into a firearm. In such a case, hopefully a person has perfected the rapid-load sequence of steps, else any rapidly-moving situation could get hopeless quickly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Simple: in the case described, where apparently not having a CHL yet combines with the only lawful alternative of carrying openly, though OC requires it to be unloaded in that state. IF THAT IS THE CASE, then it makes perfect sense why a person might opt for that mode of carry, at least until the CHL arrives.

Unknown if CO/Denver is such a place. The OP should evaluate the statutes in his state, to be certain. There are some states that allow OC, but without CHL some municipalities that disallow loaded firearms without a CHL.

Otherwise, I agree with you: desiring to carry a firearm yet carrying one unloaded means that, at least for the duration of its being unloaded, one merely has a club and the potential of turning that club into a firearm. In such a case, hopefully a person has perfected the rapid-load sequence of steps, else any rapidly-moving situation could get hopeless quickly.
    Very true I guess I just assumed it wasn't the case if you OC'd it had to be unloaded because I don't think it was stated is why I couldn't wrap my head around it. Thanks for the info I had no idea some states had that law.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    You can be robbed in a nice neighborhood just as well as a bad one. If your going to OC you might as well load up, no sense in carrying an empty gun because you never know what is around the next corner. Be safe and do the right thing .

The first few times I CCed, I did it unloaded, because I didn't know any better. I suggest that you carry with one in the chamber. I OC and CC, but always do so with a round chambered.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Thanks for the responses. I tried to OC without it loaded for about 10 minutes and then came to the same conclusions as you guys. How dumb!

Always stay loaded.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Always carry loaded God forbid you are attacked by someone, they are not going to wait for you to rack the slide. Though your profile does say you live in Denver and open carry in the city of Denver became prohibited a while ago. Anywhere else in Colorado is ok I believe.
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=207
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sponsored Links