Had a Chat With Columbus Finest While OCing ...

This is a discussion on Had a Chat With Columbus Finest While OCing ... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; and it was a non-event. I normally CC, but yesterday at the 2A rally at the statehouse, I OCed. I figured it really helped make ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By carracer
  • 1 Post By danwdooley

Thread: Had a Chat With Columbus Finest While OCing ...

VIP Member

Had a Chat With Columbus Finest While OCing ...

and it was a non-event. I normally CC, but yesterday at the 2A rally at the statehouse, I OCed. I figured it really helped make the point at least as well as carrying a sign. A few of us talked with the local cops as they were making their rounds. They mentioned how frequently they are busy at rallies but ours was kind of boring. There were no arrests or other LEO events at the rally.

Initially, there were probably 15-20 cops hanging around, but this dwindled pretty quickly to 4-5. The paddy wagon stayed for the duration, but I suspect this is SOP for all rallies.

I have OCed at training events, but this was my first time in public. I don't normally OC because my local department is hostile to it and it is simply not worth the hassle. Our CLEO is on record that regardless of the law, his department will detain OCers until they prove they are not a threat.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

That's why I don't OC in OH.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Instead of him worrying about LBC's OCing he should be worried about the criminals instead. I'm pretty sure the last time I checked the BG's were the threat. I could see it now, 50 OCers running around town all at once, it would have his department tied up for hours.

Ohiocatter: Sounds like a good idea.

...if he doesn't agree with the will of the people he serves...he might find himself not serving them...he's not above the law and someone'll end up filing suit...I hate that attitude in a "public servant"...
    Aceoky likes this.

I'm currently up in Ohio right now. As far as I understand they allow unlicensed people to open carry? The thought has crossed my mind since I don't have an out of state license they recognize. Although I have read stories about how some departments here, like you stated above, are not frendly to OC and will actually try to detain you for things like inducing panic. So I have been very weary to do so.

I'm glad they let you enjoy the rally with no incidents!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdunn217 View Post
    I'm currently up in Ohio right now. As far as I understand they allow unlicensed people to open carry? The thought has crossed my mind since I don't have an out of state license they recognize. Although I have read stories about how some departments here, like you stated above, are not frendly to OC and will actually try to detain you for things like inducing panic. So I have been very weary to do so.

I'm glad they let you enjoy the rally with no incidents!
    While it is true OC is legal in Ohio, any carry of a loaded weapon in a vehicle, even on a MC requires a CHL. You can OC, but before you get in the car you have to unload and store separately.

ETA - if you have a loaded magazine that fits into any weapon in your car, it does not matter where either are in the car, the gun is considered loaded in Ohio. This has been overturned effective in late March, but it is still the law now.
    Last edited by ksholder; January 21st, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    A few of us talked with the local cops as they were making their rounds. They mentioned how frequently they are busy at rallies but ours was kind of boring. There were no arrests or other LEO events at the rally.
    Chatted with several officers at the rally in my state, as well. They said much the same thing: it was boring, no trouble or arrests. Not that they expected anything, but I'm sure it's considered SOP to attend such demonstrations just in case something blows sideways. After all, it's a large concentration of people, there for a specific politically-related issue, one that not everyone agrees with. you never know.

Nice to see everyone kept their heads at these things. Not that it's a surprise, but it's nice to see.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You OC'd and no one stole you gun or targeted you to shoot first? Pure disappointment.
    carracer likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You OC'd and no one stole you gun or targeted you to shoot first? Pure disappointment.
    There were probably multiple OC'er, so they were confused as to who to target first.
    Jacobman likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It was my G21 with a Leupold RDS with BUIS and mag well cutouts from Bowie Tactical. It did generate a few comments/questions from the 2A crowd.

Was at the Guns rally in Boise, Id saturday. Estimates vary from 700 to 1200 participating. Most open carrying. Lots of AR and AK's. I was oc my 1911.

Had a conversation with a BPD officer. He thought it funny that we were able to carry cocked and locked inside the Capital building, BUT, couldn't have sticks attached to our signs!
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Was at the Guns rally in Boise, Id saturday. Estimates vary from 700 to 1200 participating. Most open carrying. Lots of AR and AK's. I was oc my 1911.

Had a conversation with a BPD officer. He thought it funny that we were able to carry cocked and locked inside the Capital building, BUT, couldn't have sticks attached to our signs!
    I agree, it does seem a bit wierd.

VIP Member
    It was my G21 with a Leupold RDS with BUIS and mag well cutouts from Bowie Tactical. It did generate a few comments/questions from the 2A crowd.
    Pics, perchance for a fellow DeltaPoint Glocker?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I agree, it does seem a bit wierd.
    Assault sticks, you know. Dangerous beasts.
    carracer likes this.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Links