Defensive Carry banner

Oc in Texas

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  wsquared 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Not specifically. There have been several bills kicked around down here in Texas. This would be welcome as it represents freedom. Freedom from government restriction.

I won't be carrying openly in public however but only own our own rural place or other similar hunting locales under my control, and I do that already.

#3 ·
I hope this one doesn't pass. What is needed is better clarity on the phrase "intentional display" for the concealed
carrier. What is not needed is OC, unless it is limited to rural areas and small towns.

I wouldn't have a problem with OC in Ozona or Ft Stockton; I have a big problem with it for Houston, Austin, San Antonio, DFW.

I wouldn't have a problem with it in Palestine (TX), or Marlin, or Cut and Shoot (name of a 'town');
I would in B/CS.

#4 ·
I hope this one doesn't pass. What is needed is better clarity on the phrase "intentional display" for the concealed
carrier. What is not needed is OC, unless it is limited to rural areas and small towns.

I wouldn't have a problem with OC in Ozona or Ft Stockton; I have a big problem with it for Houston, Austin, San Antonio, DFW.

I wouldn't have a problem with it in Palestine (TX), or Marlin, or Cut and Shoot (name of a 'town');
I would in B/CS.
Hmmm... I now live in a small town. Why should I deserve the advantage of an additional carry option over Texans living in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas/Fort Worth or Bryan/College Station? Those folks deserve the same measure of freedom and carry flexibility that I do.

I have a big problem with the faulty reasoning that would suggest the limitations inherent in an arbitrary application of open carry regulations. We all deserve the same freedom to carry openly as we choose and population density must not be a determining factor. Such discrimination would be deplorable and makes no sense whatsoever.

#8 ·
I might oc here and there but not all the time. I think in the bill they introduced they talked about changing 30.06 signs so it probably won't pass. Had they left everything alone and added oc next to co concealed then it would have a huge chance of passing. Oc should be all over the state not just small towns.

#9 ·
This bill has some problems. It guts the 30.06 provision which would make it very easy for businesses to ban any form of carry.

It also puts requirements on the types of holsters that can be used. IE 2 points of retention for open carry.

I think folks need to read the entire bill and changes to existing laws before they just jump head first into supporting this particular bill. It is not a good one from what I know about it. BTW, Lavender is our State Rep.

Reactions: ballfroguy
#10 ·
I'm not aware of all of the provisions in the bill and from what has been said in these posts, it looks like it has some objectionable parts. Wonder what the possibility of the bill being revised during the process.

I live in the DFW area and like others have said, I would use good discretion as to when and where to OC but I'd rather the choice be with me.

#11 ·
There may be objectionable and distasteful portions of a bill being currently offered here but it is also objectionable to regionally favor some citizens of the State of Texas with inequitable open carry provisions.

#12 ·
It isn't really that uncommon for things to be restricted by population density. I hate to use anything
NY does as an example, but they had (I assume still have) different age requirements for driving with a learner's
permit or the age at which a DL could be issued, depending on whether you lived in a city with more or
less than 1 million people.

There are some public safety issues that revolve around OC, and not necessarily with the person doing the OC.

That is why they are insisting on the 2 point retention.

I'd rather they dump that sort of holster
specificity and allow for OC in the places where OC won't appear out of place and where it won't likely attract random grab efforts by filth.

I can see all sorts of problems with OC for example if it were allowed in certain areas of B/CS or Austin where the kids congregate and the bars do a flourishing business on Fri/Sat night; and the police do a brisk business as well.

Someone above mentioned that he would carry with "discretion." That's fine, but not everyone would. I see unrestricted OC even by license holders as opening a Pandora's box of trouble.

Added a few minutes later-- Think about this case: http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Charges-dropped-against-lawyer-who-brought-gun-to-4087230.php

You can bet there will be lots of problems similar to this one in the big cities no matter
what the law says, and this man was lucky that he was an lawyer and had a law firm
full of friends to back him up. I'm not saying that he was wrong and the police were right, they weren't. But you can bet the big city folks will find ways to make life miserable for the OCer anyway, just as they once did on car carry. There is no need to go there at all IMO.
Make OC legal in counties with less than 150,000 persons and lots if not all of the problematic
issues surrounding OC will disappear.

#14 ·
I thought real cowboys everywhere packed sixguns on their hips. I am soooo disillusioned with TX now. I bet old Sam is rolling over in his grave at the thought of Texans having to hide their guns like a bunch of common criminals.

#20 ·
Maybe just a bit of a reality check on the past in TX. When I was stationed in Arizona in the early 90s, traveling East into Texas was no different than traveling West into California. You could not have a handgun immediately accessible in the car, period. It had to be locked up in the trunk. So yeah, the cowboys wouldn't have had their sixguns at all.

#15 ·
There is a time and a place for everything.

I OC when I hunt, but feel that I get full 2A rights

I truly doubt that you will see OC passed in Texas

#16 ·
I don't know how much support OC will garner in Texas. It seems to work fine in other states. I would not want to OC, because I think it takes away the element of surprise in a defensive sit. But if it does pass I think it will be just fine. The proposal to limit OC in certain is ridiculous. Sounds like old "the streets will run with blood" argument against concealed carry. Didn't happen that way either. Sounds like this bill does need some tweaking to get it right.

#18 ·
There's are a few stories floating around, but I don't see how a few stories are a big deal when thousands of people open carry every single day, and have for hundreds of years.

Also, why does every thread about open carry end up with CCers imparting their wisdom about why CC is better, when "OC vs CC" has nothing to do with the OT? Come on guys, is it really necessary in every single thread?

#19 ·
I would love to see OC here in Texas. I will choose to continue carry concealed. My concern is that OC might cause more businesses to post appropriate signage that will also impact CHL holders depending on how the statute is written.

Reactions: Hopyard
#21 ·
My concern is that OC might cause more businesses to post appropriate signage that will also impact CHL holders depending on how the statute is written.
My sentiments exactly. If the bill isn't written just right, it'll end up biting us in the backside.

Reactions: Hopyard
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.