Oc in Texas

Oc in Texas

This is a discussion on Oc in Texas within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...l/HB00700I.htm Any one else heard anything about this?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Oc in Texas

Oc in Texas

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...l/HB00700I.htm

Any one else heard anything about this?

Not specifically. There have been several bills kicked around down here in Texas. This would be welcome as it represents freedom. Freedom from government restriction.

I won't be carrying openly in public however but only own our own rural place or other similar hunting locales under my control, and I do that already.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I hope this one doesn't pass. What is needed is better clarity on the phrase "intentional display" for the concealed
    carrier. What is not needed is OC, unless it is limited to rural areas and small towns.

I wouldn't have a problem with OC in Ozona or Ft Stockton; I have a big problem with it for Houston, Austin, San Antonio, DFW.

I wouldn't have a problem with it in Palestine (TX), or Marlin, or Cut and Shoot (name of a 'town');
    I would in B/CS.
    USM1976 and keboostman like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I hope this one doesn't pass. What is needed is better clarity on the phrase "intentional display" for the concealed
    carrier. What is not needed is OC, unless it is limited to rural areas and small towns.

I wouldn't have a problem with OC in Ozona or Ft Stockton; I have a big problem with it for Houston, Austin, San Antonio, DFW.

I wouldn't have a problem with it in Palestine (TX), or Marlin, or Cut and Shoot (name of a 'town');
    I would in B/CS.
    Hmmm... I now live in a small town. Why should I deserve the advantage of an additional carry option over Texans living in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas/Fort Worth or Bryan/College Station? Those folks deserve the same measure of freedom and carry flexibility that I do.

I have a big problem with the faulty reasoning that would suggest the limitations inherent in an arbitrary application of open carry regulations. We all deserve the same freedom to carry openly as we choose and population density must not be a determining factor. Such discrimination would be deplorable and makes no sense whatsoever.
    Jetfuelrm, mcp1810 and RETSUPT99 like this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I would in B/CS.
    How about about we let individuals choose where and how to carry?
    Jack_Wagon and ErnieNWillis like this.

RT

I would in B/CS.
    Why are you ok with OC in smaller towns and rural areas yet opposed to it in larger cities? What's the difference?

I would in B/CS.
    I am in agreement with you over where I would personally choose to OC....but I think that OC should be legal, without regard to what region you happen to be in.

I also agree that there's some work to be done with regards to the "intentional display" for CHL holders. Either removing the penalty, or making it an affirmative defense (so that by law it is assumed that any display is unintentional and therefore not illegal). It would remove much of the stress surrounding "What if I am printing" or "what if my shirt rides up". Then again, the law is not the only reason for effectively concealing you handgun in most situations.
    Geezer likes this.

I might oc here and there but not all the time. I think in the bill they introduced they talked about changing 30.06 signs so it probably won't pass. Had they left everything alone and added oc next to co concealed then it would have a huge chance of passing. Oc should be all over the state not just small towns.

This bill has some problems. It guts the 30.06 provision which would make it very easy for businesses to ban any form of carry.

It also puts requirements on the types of holsters that can be used. IE 2 points of retention for open carry.

I think folks need to read the entire bill and changes to existing laws before they just jump head first into supporting this particular bill. It is not a good one from what I know about it. BTW, Lavender is our State Rep.
    ballfroguy likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm not aware of all of the provisions in the bill and from what has been said in these posts, it looks like it has some objectionable parts. Wonder what the possibility of the bill being revised during the process.

I live in the DFW area and like others have said, I would use good discretion as to when and where to OC but I'd rather the choice be with me.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

There may be objectionable and distasteful portions of a bill being currently offered here but it is also objectionable to regionally favor some citizens of the State of Texas with inequitable open carry provisions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    There may be objectionable and distasteful portions of a bill being currently offered here but it is also objectionable to regionally favor some citizens of the State of Texas with inequitable open carry provisions.
    It isn't really that uncommon for things to be restricted by population density. I hate to use anything
    NY does as an example, but they had (I assume still have) different age requirements for driving with a learner's
    permit or the age at which a DL could be issued, depending on whether you lived in a city with more or
    less than 1 million people.

There are some public safety issues that revolve around OC, and not necessarily with the person doing the OC.

That is why they are insisting on the 2 point retention.

I'd rather they dump that sort of holster
    specificity and allow for OC in the places where OC won't appear out of place and where it won't likely attract random grab efforts by filth.

I can see all sorts of problems with OC for example if it were allowed in certain areas of B/CS or Austin where the kids congregate and the bars do a flourishing business on Fri/Sat night; and the police do a brisk business as well.

Someone above mentioned that he would carry with "discretion." That's fine, but not everyone would. I see unrestricted OC even by license holders as opening a Pandora's box of trouble.

Added a few minutes later-- Think about this case: http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/C...to-4087230.php

You can bet there will be lots of problems similar to this one in the big cities no matter
    what the law says, and this man was lucky that he was an lawyer and had a law firm
    full of friends to back him up. I'm not saying that he was wrong and the police were right, they weren't. But you can bet the big city folks will find ways to make life miserable for the OCer anyway, just as they once did on car carry. There is no need to go there at all IMO.
    Make OC legal in counties with less than 150,000 persons and lots if not all of the problematic
    issues surrounding OC will disappear.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Oh yeah, there will be lots of gun grabs and problems, cuz we all know it happens all the time in Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, Cleveland, Cincinati, Indianapolis, Salt Lake City, Portland, Seattle, and other metropolitan areas where OC is already legal.
    Jack_Wagon and RT like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I thought real cowboys everywhere packed sixguns on their hips. I am soooo disillusioned with TX now. I bet old Sam is rolling over in his grave at the thought of Texans having to hide their guns like a bunch of common criminals.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

There is a time and a place for everything.

I OC when I hunt, but feel that I get full 2A rights

I truly doubt that you will see OC passed in Texas
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links