Will Only be Open Carrying

This is a discussion on Will Only be Open Carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In todays society people are more consumed with what they are doing than paying attention to anyone else. I think you will find more kids ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Will Only be Open Carrying

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    1,291
    In todays society people are more consumed with what they are doing than paying attention to anyone else. I think you will find more kids will notice than adults that you are OC'ing. Those darn kids just seem to see everything . Good luck in your venture.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    1,528
    I OC in Kentucky sometimes and have never had any problems with it.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

  4. #18
    RT
    RT is offline
    Member Array RT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    This. Open Carry is generally a bad idea, unless for some reason it is the ONLY way you can carry.

    #5 being the most pertinent in my mind. If a bad guy notices you are carrying, you will absolutely be shot, attacked, stabbed, etc, first.
    Or the BG may see the openly carried firearm and decide it's not worth the risk. For every person that has been attacked first just because they were OCing, there are probably just as many, if not more, CCers attacked because the BG thought they were an unarmed, soft target.

  5. #19
    Member Array pfries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    390
    First you do realize what Sub-forum you are in right?
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Here are some reasons not to:

    1. It scares people. Yes, I know there is no good reason for them to be scared, but they are anyway. Someone might panic and hurt themselves.
    Courts have ruled that the carrying of a properly holstered handgun is not an inappropriate or threatening display. The second part of this is irrational conjecture please cite an instance to substantiate this.

    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    2. You can be accused of intimidation. You give the cashier a $20 and she gives you change for a $10. You say "Wait, you owe me $10 more." There's an argument. Police show up, and she says during the argument you tilted your hip with the gun toward her to make your point. 100% you get arrested.
    Again pure speculative conjecture without please cite, you appear as paranoid as the group of people you were referencing above.

    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    3. Police may draw on you if you ever have contact with them. Always a risk of tragedy, with that.
    Ohio is duty to inform, and you run this risk regardless, I have been involved in a felony stop due to mistaken identity as my vehicle matched the description of one involved in a crime approximately 10 years ago in Canton MI


    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    4. Someone might mistake you for a police officer. If that "someone" happens to be a fugitive or escapee, or is high and paranoid, you might have a showdown.
    Again please cite at least one instance, you could be a McDonalds in line and a police officer walks in, the guy behind you grabs you and puts a knife to your throat and takes you hostage for his getaway because he is the deranged person you a referring to. Once again unreasonable, unsubstantiated conjecture in your line of reasoning.
    After all you could be hit by a meteor or a speeding bus better stay in the bunker


    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    5. A bad guy gets a tactical advantage because he has information- he knows what you have and where you have it. If you ever have to use it you have the advantage when it's a surprise, just like any other kind of surprise is to your advantage in any kind of fight.
    Try a little research, here is a place and they provide cites to their facts

    TEN MYTHS ABOUT GUN CONTROL
    “Research conducted by Professors James Wright and Peter Rossi,6 for a landmark study funded by the U.S. Department of Justice, points to the armed citizen as possibly the most effective deterrent to crime in the nation. Wright and Rossi questioned over 1,800 felons serving time in prisons across the nation and found: ”

    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    6. If you are in a place where it is not the custom to carry openly, it makes you look like an ass. Like a kid trying to play Rambo. There are a lot of things we have the right to wear openly but probably shouldn't, if we don't want to be ridiculed.
    Again this is your opinion.


    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    I'm familiar with this because I'm from CT where we also can carry openly with a permit, but I have never in my life seen it done in public other than by security people or at a range. Unless you have a reason to do it you're better off not doing it. Thus I urge you to take stock of your reasons for wanting to carry openly instead of concealed.
    I am also familiar with this as I am from Tennessee where we can carry openly with a permit and I do.
    Last edited by pfries; January 26th, 2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Formatting
    OldVet, RT, BurgerBoy and 2 others like this.
    Mors est libertas


    MALAD JUSTED

  6. #20
    Member Array BelaOkmyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by pfries View Post
    First you do realize what Sub-forum you are in right?
    Yes I do. Open carry has its place. The OP is talking about carrying openly in Walmart, and I don't see how that could ever be the place unless you are uniformed security. Not to mention...

    7. The manager of the Walmart is anti-gun and tells you to get the heck out of his store, as is his right, being it's private property.

    Also just my opinion, but I don't think the purpose of carrying a firearm is to make a statement or challenge anyone's beliefs. Do that with obscene art, or something. If your purpose is self-defense, I don't see how open carry in a Walmart serves that purpose better than concealed carry does, but I do see how it could make it worse.

  7. #21
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,952
    Walmart complies with state law as to carrying of firearms.
    carracer likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array cmdrdredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by 2slow04 View Post
    i wish texas was oc but unfortunate it is not.. but i hear it is in the works. the biggest thing with oc for me is since i have to conceal carry, if oc was allowed i would worry less about printing and such
    There are no provisions that protect you from incidental showing, like reaching above you? We don't have OC in FL, but there was wording written into the laws to protect you from this being a problem legally.
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Yes I do. Open carry has its place. The OP is talking about carrying openly in Walmart, and I don't see how that could ever be the place unless you are uniformed security. Not to mention...

    7. The manager of the Walmart is anti-gun and tells you to get the heck out of his store, as is his right, being it's private property.

    Also just my opinion, but I don't think the purpose of carrying a firearm is to make a statement or challenge anyone's beliefs. Do that with obscene art, or something. If your purpose is self-defense, I don't see how open carry in a Walmart serves that purpose better than concealed carry does, but I do see how it could make it worse.
    If you polled 50 criminals and asked them if they would rob a store where someone was carrying a gun in plain view, I believe a good percentage would probably pick somewhere else if they had scoped the place out first.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

    Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array cmdrdredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,037
    mistake
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

    Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

  10. #24
    Member Array pfries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Yes I do. Open carry has its place. The OP is talking about carrying openly in Walmart, and I don't see how that could ever be the place unless you are uniformed security. Not to mention...

    7. The manager of the Walmart is anti-gun and tells you to get the heck out of his store, as is his right, being it's private property.

    Also just my opinion, but I don't think the purpose of carrying a firearm is to make a statement or challenge anyone's beliefs. Do that with obscene art,
    or something. If your purpose is self-defense, I don't see how open carry in a Walmart serves that purpose better than concealed carry does, but I do see how it could make it worse.

    The OP per the title of the thread “Will Only be Open Carrying” and open carry does have its place,
    any place it is legal to do so.

    I once thought like you until I took the time to educate myself with the studies done by numerous credible organizations.
    Open carry has the same benefits in Wal-Mart as it does at the local gas station/convenience store, at home,
    or in the woods. It irritates me to watch so many staunch CC only supporters use the very same type of argument the anti’s do.
    Filled with Personal feelings and non-factually based or supported conclusions.
    Yet these are the same ones that get all riled up over the same thing when the other side does it.

    I would wager you have visited a least a few gun friendly forums. You have undoubtedly read the writing on the wall.
    You’ve taken the facts that were laid before you and run with them.
    But sometimes a person needs to go research things themselves,
    for your own sake and the sake of other gun lovers in this country I hope you will.
    This will give you the opportunity to draw your own conclusions with facts behind them, instead of holding arguments based on conjecture and feelings.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Walmart complies with state law as to carrying of firearms.
    And this ^^^ is also a fact, if you care to research it there are emails and voicemails from corporate offices and can be downloaded to both support and substantiate this.
    I can also promise if you do the research you will find managers that have stepped outside of corporate policy have been reprimanded and the situations have been addressed.

    Just FYI here is a link to the voicemail just for your entertainment.
    https://90qcrq.sn2.livefilestore.com...ownload&psid=1
    carracer likes this.
    Mors est libertas


    MALAD JUSTED

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,928
    My advice:

    1. Carry a recorder and know how to use it.
    2. Be confident
    3. Know ALL firearms laws for your state


    I OC frequently when it is warm out. I have only had one negative encounter so far.
    carracer likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

  12. #26
    Member Array SR9C33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Elyria, Ohio
    Posts
    31
    My main reason for open carry is becaus I am not going to go out and but an entire new wardrobe just for my pistol when open carry is legal in my state. I am not just a punk kid that wants to carry a gun to be " cool" or whatever... I went through the course, paid my money, submitted my app, and exspect to be approved because I barley have a speeding ticket on my record. I work long boring shifts, I have read the rule book up and down, watched all the morons on YouTube ( idiots) and done my homework. Granted, I am a well educated young man, I make good money and rely on no one to support me, my fiancée ( who also works as a vet tech) and outlet 7 month old. I have my own house, cars, motorcycles and what have you. However, do I look clean cut, no. I do dress well ( jeans and nice shirts) I look young and full of tattoos. I am worried alone, about that and carrying my firearm, but I have respect for others that have it for me. I am just going to see what happens when I go about my daily business with my firearm legally holstered on my side.
    carracer likes this.

  13. #27
    Member Array SR9C33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Elyria, Ohio
    Posts
    31
    Please excuse my grammar errors, I am posting from my cell phone and it doesn't always catch my quick typing. Anyway, one thing I do know is I DO NOT plan to ever be a victim of a robbery, nor will I let anyone harm my family, that is my reason for carrying a firearm. Times are crazy and crack heads are killing for $10.00. That is why I chose to carry. I could care less what others think ( especially hippy liberals) I just hope people can understand and appreciate what I have gone through to carry. I exspect to be stopped by LEOs. My friend being a cop, my uncle a cop and on SWAT, and my cousin a deputy for Stark County, I have asked them all their take on the situation, and it's been nothing but positive feedback.
    pfries and carracer like this.

  14. #28
    Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    1,291
    Well now that you have given a pretty good description of yourself and your family i'll have to keep an eye out for you when I am in the neighborhood . So if some old fart you've never seen before wearing jeans with a t-shirt with tattoo's says hey Jake how ya doing from a distance, you will know it is a fellow CC'er/OC'er. One thing though, just don't me in the head for saying hello.
    carracer likes this.

  15. #29
    Member Array SR9C33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Elyria, Ohio
    Posts
    31
    Please do OhioCatter! I always enjoy meeting new gun enthusiasts, as well as fellow open carriers!

  16. #30
    Member Array carracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Nampa, Id.
    Posts
    403
    Did I just hear a hummingbird fart underwater?

    Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Why do you want to carry openly? I can think of a few good reasons not to do that, but can you tell me any good reason why you would want to carry openly when you can carry concealed? Lots of people carry concealed and don't find it uncomfortable.

    Here are some reasons not to:

    1. It scares people. Yes, I know there is no good reason for them to be scared, but they are anyway. Someone might panic and hurt themselves.

    2. You can be accused of intimidation. You give the cashier a $20 and she gives you change for a $10. You say "Wait, you owe me $10 more." There's an argument. Police show up, and she says during the argument you tilted your hip with the gun toward her to make your point. 100% you get arrested.

    3. Police may draw on you if you ever have contact with them. Always a risk of tragedy, with that.

    4. Someone might mistake you for a police officer. If that "someone" happens to be a fugitive or escapee, or is high and paranoid, you might have a showdown.

    5. A bad guy gets a tactical advantage because he has information- he knows what you have and where you have it. If you ever have to use it you have the advantage when it's a surprise, just like any other kind of surprise is to your advantage in any kind of fight.

    6. If you are in a place where it is not the custom to carry openly, it makes you look like an ass. Like a kid trying to play Rambo. There are a lot of things we have the right to wear openly but probably shouldn't, if we don't want to be ridiculed.

    I'm familiar with this because I'm from CT where we also can carry openly with a permit, but I have never in my life seen it done in public other than by security people or at a range. Unless you have a reason to do it you're better off not doing it. Thus I urge you to take stock of your reasons for wanting to carry openly instead of concealed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can you open carry in walmart
,
nebraka open carry laws
,
nebraska open carry problems
,

ohio open carry law 2013

,
ohio open carry laws 2012
,

ohio open carry laws 2013

,
open carry bad idea
,
open carry bb gun ohio
,
open carry law in ohio 2013
,
open carry laws in ohio 2013
,
open carry laws ohio 2013
,
open carry ohio 2013
Click on a term to search for related topics.