Will Only be Open Carrying

This is a discussion on Will Only be Open Carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know living in Ohio, I am able to Open Carry without a CWL. I have taken my class, and submitted my application for my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Will Only be Open Carrying

Will Only be Open Carrying

I know living in Ohio, I am able to Open Carry without a CWL. I have taken my class, and submitted my application for my CWL. I am going to wait till I get my CWL before I Open Carry figuring it will help put any LEOs that stop me at least at ease a little more then without a CWL. I am slightly more muscular then the average 23 year old at 180 pounds 5 foot 8in and a barley a 32in waist. My clothes fit me differently then some. I plan on open carrying every day every where I go once I get my CWL... I have done a lot of reading in the Open Carry forum and noticing a lot of folks are nervous and scared of public.. I live in Elyria, Ohio... I don't know how the public will act. I've only seen a couple people open carrying in my town. I guess I don't see the big deal? Or is this something that is going to hit me once I reach the front of my local Walmart? Open carry is the most comfortable option for me, and I don't plan on being uncomfortable to please the sheep of my area. Your thoughts ?

2. Remove Ads

its not a big deal to us gun folks... just the people who freak out when a gun is seen
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

Smile Open Carry

I live in Kentucky where open carry is legal without any permit, I have a CCDL permit and I carry concealed and open carry, funny thing is most public places post a sign prohibiting the carrying of a firearm concealed even if you have a state approved permit,but i have rarely see a sign posted prohibiting open carry, Seems they are comfortable with the fact of seeing a gun on your side VS not knowing you have one.

I open carry more than I carry concealed just because it is easier and causes less problems, and it is the same here, that not many people carry open even though it is legal, but i have never had anyone at wal-mart or any other place of business freak out on me when they see me stroll in with my .38 or .45 strapped to my side.

I think they feel a little safer knowing there is an armed citizen around.
    justintimeagain likes this.

Thank you for the feedback! I enjoy reading other OC opinions and personal experiences on the matter

i wish texas was oc but unfortunate it is not.. but i hear it is in the works. the biggest thing with oc for me is since i have to conceal carry, if oc was allowed i would worry less about printing and such
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Where I live is open carry but because I am old I do not want some punk to think that he has a chance to get a gun from a grey haired old man with a cane, I hate funerals so I CC
    maclean3 likes this.

That is understandable shadow walker, my grandfather is 78, an avid hunter but is in the process of getting his CWL... He said he will CC for that reason as well.

Re: Will Only be Open Carrying

You need to make sure you check your laws. Here in New Mexico where I live open carry is legal, however it is limited where you can carry. No open carry anywhere you can even purchase alcohol but you can conceal carry. Kind of retarded the way out is written. I cannot open carry into Wal Mart but I can conceal. Just know before you go

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Food for thought on this. IF you OC BUT you wear a coat that you zip up well in my mind and in my state that is considered CC. I'm suprized that in Texas that you can't OC cause you and AZ are about the only states that are truely wide open or for what I thought I guess. I know a little about AZ's laws and it's silly in away but then again it is what it is. The main thing is to make yourself feel comfortable who really cares about those around you but just remember to be able to beat those crazies off you with the butt of your gun IF you OC befroe you pull the trigger, or vise versa cause with the amount of crap that's going on some may think they wish to do the wrong thing anymore on every little thing going on around them.

The law here was just changed, you are able to go into a bar/store that has a class D licence and have your firearm, you cannot consume any alcohol though, but I do not plan on carrying period when I know I'm going to any bar ( which I never do anyway, I can't stand bars). The only time I plan to draw my firearm is if another firearm is drawn on me/my family, or I'm in a place that is being robbed with an armed suspect. I may also draw if I'm being threatened with a knife, or two+ men are coming at me, but any single man coming at me or verbally assaulting me I will not draw, just make my firearm known. I think I will stay safe that way.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Normally it's the sheeple that are nervous or scared when they see someone OC. When you OC in Elyria it is really going to depend on which officers you have contact with. Some may be fine while others may not. Don't forget your town lost a LEO ( I think it was Kirkstetter) not to long ago in a shooting uptown. Maybe check and see how they handle a MWAG call so if someone calls and they show up. Keep us updated and let us know how things turn out for you. I'm interested in this one.

I most definitely will OhioCatter! As soon as I get the call from Erie County to pick up my licence, I will be carrying openly every where I go, I know the laws, I H&R studied the book up and down and carry a copy in my car. I will test the waters and see how it goes. Yes Elyria did lose an officer it was Kersetter. He entered a home of a insane black man. The man fired on him and unfortunately killed the officer at the scene. I could most definitely see that having an effect on some officers on the force in Elyria, but we shall see!

Why do you want to carry openly? I can think of a few good reasons not to do that, but can you tell me any good reason why you would want to carry openly when you can carry concealed? Lots of people carry concealed and don't find it uncomfortable.

Here are some reasons not to:

1. It scares people. Yes, I know there is no good reason for them to be scared, but they are anyway. Someone might panic and hurt themselves.

2. You can be accused of intimidation. You give the cashier a $20 and she gives you change for a $10. You say "Wait, you owe me $10 more." There's an argument. Police show up, and she says during the argument you tilted your hip with the gun toward her to make your point. 100% you get arrested.

3. Police may draw on you if you ever have contact with them. Always a risk of tragedy, with that.

4. Someone might mistake you for a police officer. If that "someone" happens to be a fugitive or escapee, or is high and paranoid, you might have a showdown.

5. A bad guy gets a tactical advantage because he has information- he knows what you have and where you have it. If you ever have to use it you have the advantage when it's a surprise, just like any other kind of surprise is to your advantage in any kind of fight.

6. If you are in a place where it is not the custom to carry openly, it makes you look like an ass. Like a kid trying to play Rambo. There are a lot of things we have the right to wear openly but probably shouldn't, if we don't want to be ridiculed.

I'm familiar with this because I'm from CT where we also can carry openly with a permit, but I have never in my life seen it done in public other than by security people or at a range. Unless you have a reason to do it you're better off not doing it. Thus I urge you to take stock of your reasons for wanting to carry openly instead of concealed.
    TheConcealer and sixgun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    Why do you want to carry openly? I can think of a few good reasons not to do that, but can you tell me any good reason why you would want to carry openly when you can carry concealed? Lots of people carry concealed and don't find it uncomfortable.

Here are some reasons not to:

1. It scares people. Yes, I know there is no good reason for them to be scared, but they are anyway. Someone might panic and hurt themselves.

2. You can be accused of intimidation. You give the cashier a $20 and she gives you change for a $10. You say "Wait, you owe me $10 more." There's an argument. Police show up, and she says during the argument you tilted your hip with the gun toward her to make your point. 100% you get arrested.

3. Police may draw on you if you ever have contact with them. Always a risk of tragedy, with that.

4. Someone might mistake you for a police officer. If that "someone" happens to be a fugitive or escapee, or is high and paranoid, you might have a showdown.

5. A bad guy gets a tactical advantage because he has information- he knows what you have and where you have it. If you ever have to use it you have the advantage when it's a surprise, just like any other kind of surprise is to your advantage in any kind of fight.

6. If you are in a place where it is not the custom to carry openly, it makes you look like an ass. Like a kid trying to play Rambo. There are a lot of things we have the right to wear openly but probably shouldn't, if we don't want to be ridiculed.

I'm familiar with this because I'm from CT where we also can carry openly with a permit, but I have never in my life seen it done in public other than by security people or at a range. Unless you have a reason to do it you're better off not doing it. Thus I urge you to take stock of your reasons for wanting to carry openly instead of concealed.
    This. Open Carry is generally a bad idea, unless for some reason it is the ONLY way you can carry.

#5 being the most pertinent in my mind. If a bad guy notices you are carrying, you will absolutely be shot, attacked, stabbed, etc, first.
    MJB_17 likes this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    OP, all the reason not to OC are as baseless as are the reasons to CC. People OC'ing have been robbed, but so have people CC'ing. It's the fear of fear itself. The only true part is it might attract attention, but it never did when I OC'd in WA state. Naturally, in you're in the "Anti" inclined great NE US it will be looked upon more unfavorably than in more gun friendly areas as out west or the south. I don't live in OH, specifically your area of that state, you you know better teh polictical climate and how LEOs respond to a perfectly legal activity.

If FL allowed OC I would do it. Not all teh time, but whenever I foudn it more convenient or comfortable.
    RT, Badey, carracer and 1 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links