Gun Attachments Open Carry Question

This is a discussion on Gun Attachments Open Carry Question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought a folding tactical pistol grip stock and a TacStar side saddle for my Mossberg 500. I was wondering if these attachments would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Gun Attachments Open Carry Question

Gun Attachments Open Carry Question

I recently bought a folding tactical pistol grip stock and a TacStar side saddle for my Mossberg 500. I was wondering if these attachments would affect my ability to open carry it? I live in Ohio and have not read anything saying I can't, but these laws can be very confusing at times. The side saddle holds 6 shells and the tactical stock holds an additional 5.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Other than in the field, I'm wondering why you'd OC a shotgun. It's going to draw anti-gun flaming.
    MattInFla likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Check you local laws, if it's legal and you feel the need to do so then go ahead and do it. On the other hand though, if you decide to, you may not like the attention it brings to you. Some people (public) may be OK with a handgun being OC'ed because it's small and doesn't look as threatening as a tacticool shotgun. We the LBC have the right to carry where allowed by law so therefor I can not judge anyone on what they carry, how they carry, or where they carry. Just be safe.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Other than in the field, I'm wondering why you'd OC a shotgun. It's going to draw anti-gun flaming.
    I fully agree. On your way to the duck blind is one thing ...

Welcome from Utah.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia. You might want to run the question by an Ohio lawyer who is versed in gun laws in your state. You will, probably need him soon anyway.
    A1Fiddler likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Every state law I have read on open or concealed carry makes it plain that the laws only apply to hand guns. Louisiana has never had any laws against open carry and if you were seen with a shotgun, ot would be just seconds and you would be on the ground with cuffs and the shotgun would be the property of the State.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Every state law I have read on open or concealed carry makes it plain that the laws only apply to hand guns. Louisiana has never had any laws against open carry and if you were seen with a shotgun, ot would be just seconds and you would be on the ground with cuffs and the shotgun would be the property of the State.
    WA allows open carry of long guns. That doesn't mean it's a good idea though. Some people carry unloaded ARs to political gatherings to show support for the 2A.
    NRA Life Member

I believe that long gun OC is legal in OH. Cosmetic changes to guns make no legal difference when OCing (kinves/bayonettes aren't cosmetic, and may not be legal in certain justidictions).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Fiddler View Post
    WA allows open carry of long guns. That doesn't mean it's a good idea though. Some people carry unloaded ARs to political gatherings to show support for the 2A.
    There is a difference between OC as in a holster or such and openly carrying a long gun in a vehicle or walking down the street. LA allows open carry in a vehicle for long guns. Just do not grab your shotgun and walk down the street. Several states require long guns to be secured during transport. Those that do not could be considered open carry but that does not apply to long guns being carried by individuals.

I will bet that if you walked into an I-Hop in WA with a shotgun in hand, the police would be called.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Nothing like being subtle
    NewtownSam likes this.

Just because something is technically legal doesn't assure that it's, uhhh... prudent. For instance, I don't think there's any laws against stripping naked & slapping a hornet's nest with a canoe paddle. So I guess it's - help yourself & good luck.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    There is a difference between OC as in a holster or such and openly carrying a long gun in a vehicle or walking down the street. LA allows open carry in a vehicle for long guns. Just do not grab your shotgun and walk down the street. Several states require long guns to be secured during transport. Those that do not could be considered open carry but that does not apply to long guns being carried by individuals.

I will bet that if you walked into an I-Hop in WA with a shotgun in hand, the police would be called.
    "That doesn't mean it's a good idea though."
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Just because something is technically legal doesn't assure that it's, uhhh... prudent. For instance, I don't think there's any laws against stripping naked & slapping a hornet's nest with a canoe paddle. So I guess it's - help yourself & good luck.
    Oh man I just spit my clam chowder all over my computer screen!!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    How DOES one get potato soup out of a keyboard?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    How DOES one get potato soup out of a keyboard?
    Forced air...Next, Ill be here all week.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links