City says No Open Carry

City says No Open Carry

This is a discussion on City says No Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, the City I live in says that open carry is now illegal. The Michigan Open Carry Coalition is trying to fight it. I don't ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: City says No Open Carry

City says No Open Carry

Well, the City I live in says that open carry is now illegal. The Michigan Open Carry Coalition is trying to fight it. I don't have too much interest in OCing, but it is a bit frustrating because I fear that they will then try to further limit places to CC.

What are your thoughts? What would you do.

How does pre emption work in Michigan? Can a town overide state law?
    ctr likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I would not open carry in the city (or anywhere else ever).
    PAPADALE1 and gregnsc like this.

I would obey the law. Open carry scares lots of folks. In almost every situation concealed carry is better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    How does pre emption work in Michigan? Can a town overide state law?
    From our friend Gary at US Gunlaw:
    "123.1102 Regulation of Pistols or Other Firearms.
    Sec. 2. A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.
    History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991."
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I would talk to a lawyer who may want to challenge your city's attempt at breaking state law.
    For me, I would not want to make a big deal...I'd keep it CC.
    What city are you in? (Former Michigander here...)

PREEMPTION
    All regulation of firearms and ammunition is reserved to the state legislature. No local unit of government may regulate firearms or ammunition unless it is expressly declared in state law.
    MICH. COMP. LAWS ANN. § 123.1102. Local government firearm regulation prohibited.
    Sec. 2. A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    Well, the City I live in says that open carry is now illegal. The Michigan Open Carry Coalition is trying to fight it. I don't have too much interest in OCing, but it is a bit frustrating because I fear that they will then try to further limit places to CC.

What are your thoughts? What would you do.
    MCL 123.1102 specifically states that no local unit of government can regulate firearms. Carry away! If you need any information, Michigan Open Carry is a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry25 View Post
    MCL 123.1102 specifically states that no local unit of government can regulate firearms. Carry away! If you need any information, Michigan Open Carry is a great resource.
    Be careful, there is a difference between regulation of firearms themselves, and regulating how a person can carry or display them. Think of a car, a local jurisdiction may not be able to outlaw specific cars, but they sure can regulate how they are driven in their community. This law does not state that a local jurisdiction can not regulate how they are carried.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Be careful, there is a difference between regulation of firearms themselves, and regulating how a person can carry or display them. Think of a car, a local jurisdiction may not be able to outlaw specific cars, but they sure can regulate how they are driven in their community. This law does not state that a local jurisdiction can not regulate how they are carried.
    Not true...

You've missed this part of MI Regs...No local unit of government may regulate firearms or ammunition unless it is expressly declared in state law.
    That includes HOW it is carried.
    aus71383, OldVet, jrclen and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Re: City says No Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not true...

You've missed this part of MI Regs...No local unit of government may regulate firearms or ammunition unless it is expressly declared in state law.
    That includes HOW it is carried.
    Depends on the stance of the AG. Technically it does not, buy the AG may not allow it under the "intent" of the law, or strictly adhere to the letter and say they can do it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

it might be time to consider moving away from the city
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Depends on the stance of the AG. Technically it does not, buy the AG may not allow it under the "intent" of the law, or strictly adhere to the letter and say they can do it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    MCL 123.1102
    A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

This has been affirmed in MCRGO v Ferndale. See the press release by MCRGO here: http://www.mcrgo.org/mcrgo/view/news...=18&zoneid=100

You are clear to open, concealed, IWB, OWB, or however else you see fit.

This city is clearly breaking state law, and if they don't comply, they need to have their budget broken. Simple as that.
    jrclen likes this.

VIP Member
    The original post lacks any specificity whatsoever, followed by no clarification.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Clod, Keboos... nobody here cares what you think. Talk to the hand...!
    FTG-05 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links