Be a HARD TARGET!

Be a HARD TARGET!

This is a discussion on Be a HARD TARGET! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK SO... Im just putting this out there for people who OC and not going to subject anyone to a story about why I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Be a HARD TARGET!

Be a HARD TARGET!

OK SO... Im just putting this out there for people who OC and not going to subject anyone to a story about why I am saying this...But please...be a hard target, for those of you who dont know what that means, just be a difficult target for BG's. Alot of people do not realize that you are openly carrying a $500+ Firearm (generally) and in a society that is increasingly difficult to purchase a firearm, these weapons are going to be sought after items... I am not saying by any means that anyone here is not capable of defending themselves and double tapping some BG's BUT the last thing I want to see on the news is a story about an OC'r getting attacked and robbed of his weapon. Just food for thought gents. I am not going to expand on what I have seen for easy targets but maybe you guys can throw some stuff in. Be safe and stay vigilant.

A good point and reminder. While Im all for OC if one wants too there is that possibility. Heck it has happened to LEO in the past. Of course even cc if one were to come out on the losing end of an attack its likely the BGs will steal that persons firearm aswell if they want it.
    I guess the bottom line is dont come out on the losing end
    0331 likes this.

Fla
    I'm losing weight as fast as I can. Less meat to hit.
    goldshellback, mano3 and GrandZJ like this.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

I OC with dummy rounds and the mag of real rounds in my pocket..
    haha
    perfection likes this.

According to that lady in the video about unloaded guns we dont need ammo for our weapons to be lethal anyway

VIP Member
    Disclaimer: I am not against Responsible Open Carry.

If you OC you have to be smarter than the average bear. Your SA awareness has to be at it's best game simply due to the fact that people know you are carrying and may decide that they want the shiny thing on your belt. Yes the mere sight of a weapon may deter some but there are others that may see it as an opportunity.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I rarely OC but when I do, I carry in some type of retention holster. This gives me an opportunity to wiggle away while the BG fumbles with something he's not as familiar with as I am. I CC for this reason, I dont want to be the target, I want to be the "surprise". IMHO, it's better to "act" than to "react".
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Always good advise. I will be honest my SA isn't always up to par when I OC. The obvious retention strap and a boney elbow to jab with help immensely though.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I don't open carry but I do also carry a BUG. if I should loose my primary weapon in an attack by the BG, hopefully, I will be able to use the BUG to continue to defend myself. That is one of the reasons I carry a BUG in lieu of a spare magazine for my primary weapon.
    sebring likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Criminals like easy targets, period. Don't be an easy target and you should have no problems. Practice SA at all times.
    bsmith6470 and mano3 like this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    OC or CC the OP advice applies to everyone who carries.

I always thought about this for people who OC. I would feel a little extra nervous if I OC simply because if trouble happens the BG knows who to target along with their intended target(s). Now of course this wouldn't matter to much if a lot of people were standing around who OC. But of course your SA should always be on alert if you OC or CC.

Thanks for the reminder. I've done some "informal" retention training and take-away training with friends, and it's been great to help mentally prepare myself for an attempted gun grab, in the highly unlikely event that it would ever happen. I try to keep my SA up, and an elbow against my sidearm if I'm near people I can't keep a direct eye on. However, we all should do this much (let's be honest, it should become subconscious) when we CC. The only thing I really add when I OC is a level II holster.

If I ever decode to OC, I would practice diligent SA and have a minimum of a Level 2 retention holster. After training with it of course. I probably wouldn't OC in a crowded area, say a mall. No way to keep your eye on everyone.

Re: Be a HARD TARGET!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I rarely OC but when I do, I carry in some type of retention holster. This gives me an opportunity to wiggle away while the BG fumbles with something he's not as familiar with as I am. I CC for this reason, I dont want to be the target, I want to be the "surprise". IMHO, it's better to "act" than to "react".
    I'm not saying you don't have a point or make sense with the retention holster but if two or more (heck, even one) BGs get the drop on you, it's unlikely to make a difference. By getting the drop on you, I mean they find you in a good place to pull the guns they already have to snag yours.

I surely haven't seen it all but I've seen a lot in my life. They of course even target each other which is a crime that goes largely unreported for obvious reasons. In the hood just about everybody does carry (CC) and they'll get setup just to be disarmed so the others can acquire new and more guns.

I've seen it (and the aftermath, I.e. revenge) more times than id like to remember. Just throwing it out there for those who may not know.

OC or CC, we all stand together. Be safe.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links