What would you do if robbed at gunpoint? - Page 3

What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

This is a discussion on What would you do if robbed at gunpoint? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 What most pplz say they would do and what they actually do are totally two different things. Most pplz would do ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    What most pplz say they would do and what they actually do are totally two different things. Most pplz would do they best that they can to remedy the situation (whatever it takes).
    I'm with you. All the training in the world will probably help you in one way or another. Reaction will never trump action though...you just need to "attempt" to create a new "action" and hope to have it work to your advantage. I love all the great ideas that are shared on gun forums, and certainly many of them have merit. Things have a way of changing though when you're in your later years, or God forbid your late 60's with hip and knee replacements, and then all this stuff takes on a different perspective. All that "stuff' looks good when you're young enough to physically pull it off, but in the meantime, let's be happy to assist in the sales of Gun rags, Videos, Tactical gear and the like. Maybe screaming "SHOOT ME!!" as loud as you can might catch the slug off guard long enough to reach your weapon....:)

Quote Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
    Do what? Surely you aren't suggesting that if someone is robbing you at gun point that they aren't threatening your life. If so, that is utterly ridiculous.
    I said no such thing, the threat is there but more so if openly confronted, there is a good chance your life is not at risk if you give them your money... What I am saying is that if you draw on a pointed gun you have very little chance of surviving it... Now if you are trained to deal with this type of situations and keep up with that training, that's a whole different story.. Unless you are a SWAT or Special Forces not many of us train for those types of situations on a daily bases
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

The common wisdom is that you don't draw when the BG has his gun trained on you.
    The common wisdom is also (and data shows) that action beats reaction.
    So it is better to draw ane immediately fire (action) betting that you can stop the BG before he shoots you,
    or is it better to bet that he just wants your 'stuff' and won't shoot you.

Hmmmm... Lots to consider.
    mbguy29577 and vilecanards like this.

That's a tough spot to be in. The truth is that if multiple assailants have you dead to rights at gun point, you are probably going to get shot regardless of whether or not you are armed. But having them discover that you are armed makes them more likely to shoot you, IMHO. They are going to be PO'ed that you were armed and even if you give up the weapon without a fight, they'll probably just shoot you with it. If it is just one assailant, then maybe you have a chance.

The best way to avoid the situation would be to not allow them to get the drop on you in the first place. Which leads to another interesting question. At what point are you justified to draw your weapon and have it at your side, if you are being approached by people that make you nervous? Too soon and you could end up in jail, too late and you could end up dead. Again, a tough spot with no easy answer. You just have to trust your judgement and hope for the best.
    mbguy29577 likes this.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
    That's a tough spot to be in. The truth is that if multiple assailants have you dead to rights at gun point, you are probably going to get shot regardless of whether or not you are armed. But having them discover that you are armed makes them more likely to shoot you, IMHO. They are going to be PO'ed that you were armed and even if you give up the weapon without a fight, they'll probably just shoot you with it. If it is just one assailant, then maybe you have a chance.

The best way to avoid the situation would be to not allow them to get the drop on you in the first place. Which leads to another interesting question. At what point are you justified to draw your weapon and have it at your side, if you are being approached by people that make you nervous? Too soon and you could end up in jail, too late and you could end up dead. Again, a tough spot with no easy answer. You just have to trust your judgement and hope for the best.
    Actually at least in my state if you were nervous and inconsipicuously eased your weapon out of your holster holding behind you leg etc not actually drawing it on someone it isnt brandishing. Brandishing is drawing a weapon with the intent of threatening someone or scaring them with it. Simply taking it out of its holster holding it along side your leg out of sight but in your hand isnt brandishing. Your threatening no one with it. The idea being having in your hand but out of sight.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Just my opinion, but I doubt that anyone can take comfort in assuming that an armed robbery will remain just that. Too many stories about victims surrendering everything, just to take a shot to the head, "because they can".....I will assume the very worst and try to interupt the process. Sandpiper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    Tough spot... I have always thought drawing against a pointing gun is suicide.. First off, stay alive, an armed robbery does not mean the BG(s) are going to shoot you and according to the law you can only use deadly force to defend your life not to protect property.
    Ummm...if he is pointing a gun at me I AM defending my life

That being said I am no John Wayne. If the gun is pointed directly at me he gets my wallet...if he is distracted (even briefly) I would consider trying to draw.

However, if he tries to move me to a different location ("get in the alley" ..etc) I would have to consider the fact my life is already forfeit if I don't try to defend myself

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is responsible for his actions....Ronald Reagan

Cooperate to the point that I had an advantage and then stop coorperating with prejudice.

cwb
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon86 View Post
    Cooperate to the point that I had an advantage and then stop coorperating with prejudice.
    So true. I don't know exactly what I would do.
    I know f what it feels like to have a gun pointed at me. To keep it short, 1996, junior in highschool, miami FL. at a light in family minivan driving to arbys with my sister. Guy ran right up to my window and stuck his snub nose 357 right up my head...(I could actually see hollow point rounds in the chambers... He said moved, and I listened. I was 17. I didnt have a knife let alone a gun. I know what the shock feels like...
    I couldn't believe though , the idiot had me hop in the middle row while he drove around... What if I had had a knife or a gun.
    It was an amazing gift from God that my sister and I survived the whole ordeal.( He is in for 50yrs +)
    I have had a few other close calls... each being different. If my family or myself was threatened, and for a second or two had an advantage...

Toss your wallet to his/her shooting side.
    iguanadon and Snub44 like this.

Trying to draw on a gun that is already pointed at you is a bad idea. I'd start dropping stuff on the ground too. If an opening arose, I might try but know the odds aren't good. They come into the situation more prepared and with a heightened level of adrenaline. Their tunnel vision might help you but who knows. There really is no good answer until you are in that position.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

(from WI codes)939.48  Self-defense and defense of others.

(1) A person is privileged to threaten or intentionally use force against another for the purpose of preventing or terminating what the person reasonably believes to be an unlawful interference with his or her person by such other person. The actor may intentionally use only such force or threat thereof as the actor reasonably believes is necessary to prevent or terminate the interference. The actor may not intentionally use force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself.

...when someone's holding a gun on you...you're not dealing with a thief...you're dealing with a person who's putting you in fear of your life...and has threatened shooting you to get what he wants...the property doesn't matter at that point...

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    Tough spot... I have always thought drawing against a pointing gun is suicide.. First off, stay alive, an armed robbery does not mean the BG(s) are going to shoot you and according to the law you can only use deadly force to defend your life not to protect property.

...what we CHOOSE to do depends upon all the facts and circumstances...knowing our state laws regarding self defense and deadly force is step 1...having a good working knowledge of our options gives us a foundation for our decisions...and is one thing less to think through at the time...the decisions are as varied and different as we are...but in the situation described, deadly force would be REASONABLE...

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    If I can survive by complying then I would have to consider giving the wallet etc depending on the perps actions/demeanor. Keeping eye contact would be a must if my mind was thinking about"if I had enough time if he glances away", otherwise it depends on if his weapon is drawn and pointed at my face.I can replace the wallet,cant replace me or family

Re: What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

I'll pull the hood of my cloak over my head and the perps will walk away wondering what just happened.
    sauerpuss likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "1. If carrying IWB, would you ever try to outdraw someone that is pointing a gun at you? I could possibly see telling them they can have your wallet while reaching back to get the gun. Right before drawing, point behind them and say, "there's a cop" and drawing when they turn to look. Obviously very risky unless you're Billy the Kid. IWB at 4:00, they would probably never know I had a gun if I gave them my wallet and cell phone."

Three pages of replies and the question I did not see asked was: Why is this posted on the Open Carry thread?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links