What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

This is a discussion on What would you do if robbed at gunpoint? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I kind of have an idea of what might go down in my situation. I always usually shop with my wife and kids. So our ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

I kind of have an idea of what might go down in my situation. I always usually shop with my wife and kids. So our son is only 2 months old and daughter 3yrs old. So I see it as going down when I'm carrying them to put in car seat. If the thief wants my wallet, I'd strongly suggest to him that I be allowed to put child down to grab wallet. This is where I'd probably actually reach for my wallet and throw at him, while throwing it at him, hopefully he is distracted trying to catch wallet I can draw. But being as I'm with wife and children I'm not even sure I'd attempt that. It's all hard to predict. YOu'd have to see BG's movements, face, reactions, mood, etc to know what to do. Your brain has to be able to compute all that in SPLIT SECONDS.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

2. Remove Ads

...here's a plus for a J frame .38 with bobbed hammer...you can have it in your hand within your coat pocket, and fire through the garment if necessary and noone sees it...a semiauto is likely to malfunction if the pocket impedes slide movement at all...the snub won't...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Actually at least in my state if you were nervous and inconsipicuously eased your weapon out of your holster holding behind you leg etc not actually drawing it on someone it isnt brandishing. Brandishing is drawing a weapon with the intent of threatening someone or scaring them with it. Simply taking it out of its holster holding it along side your leg out of sight but in your hand isnt brandishing. Your threatening no one with it. The idea being having in your hand but out of sight.

give him your money call the cops and accept victory if he doesn't kill you nothing you own is worth dying for cancel your cards most people don't carry more than a few hundred in cash anyway look at the guy see if the safety is on the gun if your that close see if hes got a round chambered some guns have a indicator if its a revolver see if there is even rounds in it they are some crazy people out there doped up could you beat him in hand to hand combat if you can disarm him if you cant see any of that and yo cant beat the guy give him what he wants and pray he doesn't kill you

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    They're are too many variables in that situation to say. Good situational awareness and avoidence would have helped. An empty gun is useless. The other given is that action beats reaction. If I felt they were going to shoot no matter what,I would defend, but my gun would be loaded.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I don't think anyone truley knows what they would do, of course endless they have already been in that situation. As stated there are a lot of variables to take in effect.. Alone I would probably give him the wallet, toss it at him and draw with my other hand simultaneously. But again I have never been in that situation so I truley do not know what would happen

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    First thing I would do is pee...
    It Depends.
    Did no one but me find it hilarious that these two posts went back to back (post 2 & 3)? After all, if you're gonna' do the first, you're gonna' need...the second!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It appears to me, there are SEVERAL folks, that are carrying a weapon, who are TOTALLY unprepared to face this scenario. There are several, that feel that their life isn't threatened because all the BG wants is property. *** are you carrying a weapon for, IF it's not to defend your life and the life of your loved ones. Are you really going to trust the BG when he says "Give me your stuff and I'll let you go."

Some of you are taking the naive to the point of stupid.

Let me suggest you read "Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper... If you haven't prepared for this type scenario, then now is the time to start. It's tooooooooo late when you are already confronted with the situation.

Take some Defensive Pistol Training. Take it locally, but preferably take it from a REPUTABLE trainer.

You've taken on the responsibility of carrying a weapon, don't you think you should take on the responsibility of training and learning how to best use it to protect yourself and loved ones?

I'm just sitting here shaking my head..JMO

RANT OFF
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

My neighbor was at the atm acouple of years ago an when he turned around a guy was there with a knife asked for his money he reached in his pocket an shot thru his pants hitting the guy in the jewels with a 380 the guy was still screaming when the cops got there an abulance took him away. They took my friend to the station where I picked him up they never pressed charges on him luckily the camera at the atm backed up his story. By the way there was about a 6" hole of burnt pants it was kind of funny even some of the cops were trying unsuccesfully not to laugh at the creep.
    Doghandler likes this.

I have to agree First Sgt, I'm not likely to hope to bribe a guy with my wallet who's already threatening me. My confidence in his sense of fair-play pretty well evaporated at the onset of his felony. His actions have already met my (personal) threshold for "reasonable fear for my health & well-being" which legally, morally & ethically greenlights me to become...HIS BIGGEST PROBLEM. And the faster & more violently I can do that, the better are my chances for maintaining "my health & well-being".
    oneshot and Aceoky like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    It appears to me, there are SEVERAL folks, that are carrying a weapon, who are TOTALLY unprepared to face this scenario. There are several, that feel that their life isn't threatened because all the BG wants is property. *** are you carrying a weapon for, IF it's not to defend your life and the life of your loved ones. Are you really going to trust the BG when he says "Give me your stuff and I'll let you go."

Some of you are taking the naive to the point of stupid.

Let me suggest you read "Principles of Personal Defense" by Jeff Cooper... If you haven't prepared for this type scenario, then now is the time to start. It's tooooooooo late when you are already confronted with the situation.

Take some Defensive Pistol Training. Take it locally, but preferably take it from a REPUTABLE trainer.

You've taken on the responsibility of carrying a weapon, don't you think you should take on the responsibility of training and learning how to best use it to protect yourself and loved ones?

I'm just sitting here shaking my head..JMO

RANT OFF
    Sounds like you feel prepared and trained and have experience in shooting at a real person to take-on on a pointed gun... I have taken many training courses both during and after service but I don't know what will happen in this situation.. Call it what you want, my goal will be to stay alive... Whether that means drawing my gun or just handing over my cash... I am sitting shaking my head at you making assumptions on a situation that can go so many different ways... If a GG has never shot a real person it is not going to be as easy as most think!
    rawdawg1217 and Sandpiper like this.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the BG has the drop, you'd better figure out a way to shift the advantage back to you, and in a hurry.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It depends.
    No it doesn't. I hope I have my depends on... just say'in
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

I think about this every time my wife and I put our 2 year old daughter in her car seat. Yesterday I was looking over my should so much while putting my daughter in her car seat while we were in a parking garage I could be accused of rubber necking.

Since 9 out of 10 times I'm driving I wait outside the car while my wife puts our daughter in the car seat. If I have to put groceries in the trunk I watch my back, my wife's back every time.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    That is a tough question, and mostly depends on the small details of the moment. Whether you just hand over your wallet or you go on the offensive, both inherently involve a high degree of risk. I would not fault someone in the least if they handed over their wallet to someone holding a gun on them even if they had their own gun. I would also nod my head in agreement if someone decided to go on the offensive. It all depends on the variables.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If the BG has the drop, you'd better figure out a way to shift the advantage back to you, and in a hurry.
    Yep, because drawing from IWB or belt wont work. Something else has to happen to shift the situation while drawing or before drawing, or just use the sprint method, or the slug and sprint. This is why a gun does not mean you're protected. I almost beg the original poster to search Netflix for "Street Safe" an old but very good training on situational awareness, avoiding and preventing the situation from coming that close. Some books were also referenced but if you're a regular person, not a kung-fu guru, there are some pretty simple ways to change the situation. You have nothing to loose at that point, we all die sooner or later, some sooner. Several of the posts were excellent in my opinion.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links