What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

This is a discussion on What would you do if robbed at gunpoint? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like most folks, I'm not sure how i would react, until it happens to me. My when/then mindset will have me in a position with ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

Like most folks, I'm not sure how i would react, until it happens to me. My when/then mindset will have me in a position with a plan, based on the terrain, cover/concealment, etc prior to the BG showing his hand.

I don't carry a wallet, so what I'd be throwing to the ground would be my credential case, with my badge, so more than likely we're going to be shooting at each other as soon as he sees that anyway. I know action beats reaction every time. What's necessary here is to change the scenario, so that your action is faster than his reaction. First off, have a plan. Second, Execute that plan fast (Move and shoot), and thirdly understand that extreme violence will carry the day.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned by anybody yet, on this thread at least, is that just because you get shot (if he can hit you) does NOT mean you will die. Continue to fight, and do not give up! There's a better chance than not that you'll survive your wound, if you're able to put him down, should this incident occur in a big city. Trauma centers can save you if you get there in time. Do NOT quit!

Be safe.
    ElkSniper, First Sgt and pacman like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

2. Remove Ads

Some guy I read about faked a heart attack and ended up shooting the bg. It would be hard to beat a gun pointed at you..so your best weapon would be the one between your ears.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Something else that hasn't been mentioned by anybody yet, on this thread at least, is that just because you get shot (if he can hit you) does NOT mean you will die. Continue to fight, and do not give up! There's a better chance than not that you'll survive your wound, if you're able to put him down, should this incident occur in a big city. Trauma centers can save you if you get there in time. Do NOT quit!
    A statistic I heard (from a YouTube video of a Doctor giving a lecture on gunshot wounds - he had done the research) is that you have a 6 in 7 chance of surviving when shot with a handgun.
    Not that anyone would want to, or plan on getting shot - just that it does not mean automatic death.
    KBSR and USM1976 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bkenut View Post
    Some guy I read about faked a heart attack and ended up shooting the bg. It would be hard to beat a gun pointed at you..so your best weapon would be the one between your ears.
    i think is the critical life saver there. Also if I'm with wife and kids, my mission is to protect them. I'd rather take the hit to save them
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

If I tried to fake a heart attack if just look like an idiot. I hope that I could react to that situation like I think I will, but you never know, I could just freeze from all the adrenaline. Where I live most of the robberies are for drug money, just junkies wanting a fix, but if someone is pointing a gun at me I won't give them the benefit of a doubt. If I had the chance to shoot first you better believe I'm going to take it.
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    Sounds like you feel prepared and trained and have experience in shooting at a real person to take-on on a pointed gun... I have taken many training courses both during and after service but I don't know what will happen in this situation.. Call it what you want, my goal will be to stay alive... Whether that means drawing my gun or just handing over my cash... I am sitting shaking my head at you making assumptions on a situation that can go so many different ways... If a GG has never shot a real person it is not going to be as easy as most think!
    Au contraire Kimber...NOONE can ever be fully prepared for this type of scenario. However, you can train in the various scenarios, even if it is only dryfire in your living room. If you fail to develop your MINDSET, then you most probably have lost from the get go. 95% of a fight is mental and the other 5% is physical. NEVER GIVE UP! You are going to die sometime. You can't stop it from happening. However, you do have some control over how it happens and when it happens. Knowing this fact separates you from the rest of the population.

I don't believe I made any assumptions. I made some OBSERVATIONS...There is a difference. I do agree with your last sentence however...Take care Sir and keep training. JMO
    USM1976 and Sandpiper like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I believe most thugs are cowards and would piss their pants and run away if their target faught back. Just like big cats in the wild, they want the easiest meal so they go after the prey they feel are the slowest, weakest, and least likely to resist. Most thugs wouldn't pull the trigger if their life depended on it. With that said, there are some true "gangstas" who will kill you over a few dollars and a cell phone.

You have to make the decision that's right for you in the moment. Personally, I will never willingly be robbed. I carry a revolver in my pocket and would pretend to reach for my wallet, money, keys, etc. and then they would eat it right through my pocket. I would rather die fighting back than comply, be disarmed, and possibly be killed anyway. Fighting back leaves my fate in my hands, not someone else's.
    Last edited by 38special; January 31st, 2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
    KBSR likes this.

I'll fake a heart attack, an epileptic seizure, or pretend I'm a Radio City Rockette & tap dance away. I'll draw & fire, I'll duck & run, I'll scream & pounce, I really can't think of a single thing of what I WOULDN'T do, except..."hope for the best". Like .38 Special says above, whatever happens, it'll be because I did SOMETHING. Doing nothing keeps me on the defensive & still responding to my assailant's actions. Doing something/anything at least makes my assailant have to defend himself against MY PLAN to survive.
    KBSR likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    I was, back in 1983 in Detroit. Both me and my friend were on our way to get our physicals for the military. To answer your question though, I tell you what we did...handed over our money. The way it went down, even if I would have been older and had my CC piece on me, it would have done no good. One second was all it took and the dude had us dead to rights. I don't even think Wyatt Erp could have drawn fast enough to keep from getting shot.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

VIP Member
    There is no pat answer. Every situation is different. You have to evaluate the situation and decide at the time what the best course of action is.
    USM1976 and Sandpiper like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Hard to tell, too many variables. My mindset is one that if someone is pointing a gun at me I assume that they intend to kill me. So anything I do from that moment forward is in an effort to extend my life. I know I'm carrying, he doesn't. Look for a crack and have a plan.

Since I've lived here I've seen too many examples in this area of people complying and then being killed. One elderly gentleman was killed by a robber armed with a hammer within a mile from my house just in the last 6 months.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Second that poop thing !

Quote Originally Posted by rugergunner View Post
    I was, back in 1983 in Detroit. Both me and my friend were on our way to get our physicals for the military. To answer your question though, I tell you what we did...handed over our money. The way it went down, even if I would have been older and had my CC piece on me, it would have done no good. One second was all it took and the dude had us dead to rights. I don't even think Wyatt Erp could have drawn fast enough to keep from getting shot.

Looking back hind sight 20/20 what could have been recognized or avoided? Were you guys in a fringe area? Did you see them before you were robbed? We're you walking right into a position that you could not defend, escape or maneuver? Did you allow your close space to be violated and continue in? Did you walk past one guy while another was positioning behind? Did you change angles to see if they were visually or verbally interviewing you while also positioning? Did you understand these concepts at the time?

There are very few times you cannot prevent something from happening. A simple trip to your favorite ATM in the day time can help you know exactly how not to position or act. And in some cases you simply CANNOT go to certain ATMs. Also what time of day was this? Your post could be helpful to others. Hopefully everyone here studies how most or all of these scenarios develop and the signs you will almost always see coming, but most people ignore.

Thanks...

For anyone who says he'll do this or that I wonder if they've ever had a firearm pointed at them. As many have stated, it will depend on the situation. I'ts no different than being shot at as a police officer. These
    things happen very quickly, and looking down the barrel of that firearm, it looks so large one feels he could crawl down the barrel, turn around, and crawl back out. One can "whata if" it to death, but if it occurs it
    won't be anything like you thought.
    Sandpiper and JoseRomeroJr like this.

USM1976....That's a fact........Thank you.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links