What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

This is a discussion on What would you do if robbed at gunpoint? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching an episode of The First 48 (awesome show by the way) and two young guys were approached on a sidewalk in broad ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: What would you do if robbed at gunpoint?

I was watching an episode of The First 48 (awesome show by the way) and two young guys were approached on a sidewalk in broad daylight by two thugs with handguns. The bad guys said "give us everything you got". They young guys complied and started emptying their pockets and throwing their wallets, cell phones, etc. on the ground. One of them had an unloaded handgun and threw it on the ground too. When one of the thugs saw that, he opened fire killing one and shooting the other three times. The show was never clear if the BG opened fire because the gun pissed him off, or if he somehow felt he was put on the defensive since the guys they were robbing were armed. Regardless that raises a ton of questions for me since I carry every day. Sometimes I carry front pocket, but mostly at 4:00 IWB.

1. If carrying IWB, would you ever try to outdraw someone that is pointing a gun at you? I could possibly see telling them they can have your wallet while reaching back to get the gun. Right before drawing, point behind them and say, "there's a cop" and drawing when they turn to look. Obviously very risky unless you're Billy the Kid. IWB at 4:00, they would probably never know I had a gun if I gave them my wallet and cell phone.

2. What do you do if carrying front pocket? I can't draw too fast out of the front pocket. You also see criminals reach in people's front pockets to empty them while holding a gun on them. Even if I choose to do nothing, they are going to see the bulge in my pocket that looks like a phone or something else they want. It really makes me rethink front pocket carry. Should it, or am I just being paranoid?

Sorry if it's been debated here before, but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

If you are talking about an alert, aware perp, who has you dead to rights - gun pointed at you - there is little chance anyone can get the drop on him, especially from IWB.

BUT, and this is the important part, it is never that easy. It all depends on the context of each moment. If he has a gun on you (and hasn't shot you yet) he wants something.

What he wants, how close he is, where he is (dead in front, behind, to the side, etc.... what kind of lighting, all play into what your options are.

If he is close, you might do a gun grab and draw, if he is too far away - is there cover nearby? is movement an option? can you massage the circumstances to put yourself in a better position to draw?

All these things are at play - and are different in any situation.

Also important is his demeanor. Is he is hopped up on something, you might take a greater chance then if he seemed collected and somewhat rational.

In the end, the question you MUST know the answer to is this: what are YOU capable of doing?

I know from shooting action sports, that I can draw and fire from retention in 1.5 seconds. (if it is concealed by my sport coat). If I am wearing a tucked IWB, it is about 2.5 seconds.

Depending on the range, the circumstances and whether I can cloak my actions (i.e. disguise my motions as going for my wallet or money to give to him) or distract him, (throwing, or dropping my wallet, etc.) I might be able to buy myself the time I need to take action.

But again, these are very contextual judgments that no armchair quarterbacking can really answer. The best answer IMHO, is know what you are capable of doing, so if you every face the issue, you have an idea of what is and what is not an option for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

First thing I would do is pee. Then I'd just wing it from there.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    It depends.
    carracer likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

What most pplz say they would do and what they actually do are totally two different things. Most pplz would do their best to remedy the situation (whatever it takes).
    Last edited by Bigpoppa48; January 30th, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
    Sandpiper, R040607 and USM1976 like this.

ya that's a tuff one. be aware of your surroundings and not saying that you should live life looking over your back but i do. i am always aware of mine and my familys surroundings, always check my six and look at the facial expressions to get a read on people. be safe and hopefully this will never happen!

Up until a short while ago I carried IWb or shoulder depending on what i was doing. And a keltech 9mm in my leather vest pocket pointed so I could shoot it by just putting my hand in my vest pocket. If he was close enough to point shoot thru my vest pocket he would definitely have gotten "everything I had". All 10 rounds. Plus the IWB if that was needed too.

But as one post said Youll only know for sure when its happening what your best move is if you have one at all.
    Even though ive pretty much decided that anyone pulling an armed robbery on me likely wont want me around to identify him is going to kill me anyway, if I get the feeling its some guy not earnestly intent on killing just desperate to get money for drugs etc my options might change.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I would cough up whatever was in my pockets and then .......? < I dunno > It depends.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I don't know what i would do.

I would like to add that i've seen all episodes of The First 48. Yup, hundreds. All except for some of the After The First 48 ones.
    68blackbird likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    First thing I would do is pee. Then I'd just wing it from there.
    That would probably get his attention for a minute, pooping might even be better
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I wouldn't throw my handgun on the ground.

Tough spot... I have always thought drawing against a pointing gun is suicide.. First off, stay alive, an armed robbery does not mean the BG(s) are going to shoot you and according to the law you can only use deadly force to defend your life not to protect property.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    I don't know what i would do.

I would like to add that i've seen all episodes of The First 48. Yup, hundreds. All except for some of the After The First 48 ones.
    This was the episode where the two college kids in Philly/Detroit/Cleveland (somewhere in the northheast) were looking for their dog and went into the perp's back yard looking for it. The perp came out a few minutes later to rob them on the street. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    If you are talking about an alert, aware perp, who has you dead to rights - gun pointed at you - there is little chance anyone can get the drop on him, especially from IWB.

BUT, and this is the important part, it is never that easy. It all depends on the context of each moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    This. One small detail can make all the difference.

Consider this:

Perp has gun trained on you and is glancing around nervously while you toss your belongings on the ground
    vs
    Perp has gun trained on you and is glancing around nervously... after having collected the belongings you tossed on the ground

In the former, you have at least an even chance that he is going to grab your stuff and run off.
    In the latter, he's gotten what he wanted... and now he's thinking about eliminating you as a witness. You'd better be doing something, quickly, here.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    according to the law you can only use deadly force to defend your life not to protect property.
    I'm in Texas, not Wisconsin. Seriously though, I know the laws and if someone is pointing a gun at me, my life is threatened.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links