Should I open carry? 18 years old - Page 2

Should I open carry? 18 years old

This is a discussion on Should I open carry? 18 years old within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AZ_Larz_NY Good for you. You received a ton of good info. You seem like a mature person. I wish you well. Be ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Should I open carry? 18 years old

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Larz_NY View Post
    Good for you. You received a ton of good info. You seem like a mature person. I wish you well.

Be safe!
    Much thanks AZ_Larz_NY!

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I'd agree with some of you that most 18 year olds aren't really mature enough to handle the responsibility of carrying a firearm. I think it's a different story with the OP tho, based on his posts, and the fact that he came to DC forums looking for advice, he seems like a level-headed responsible guy, so I don't think anyone should make judgments based on age.

If you think you can handle the responsibility and will always "keep your cool" while carrying I see no reason for you not to. If you don't feel completely comfortable at first, take a few days and just open carry around/in your house until you feel comfortable out in public.

1 more suggestion I'd like to add. I always recommend that everybody who carries should also carry a non-lethal alternative to their firearm. I'd pick up a small can of OC spray (if legal in your area), most encounters don't call for lethal force, and as we all know, "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". Just something to consider.

Welcome to DC, if you have any other questions feel free to post or introduce yourself in the new member section. Lots of helpful people here.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I don't see any problem with it so long as you use common sense and sound judgement. I am very selective where I open carry. I have no problem doing it while hiking/camping or going to certain stores but I'm not comfortable with doing it in a crowded shopping mall.

You sound like a mature young man so I don't think you will have any issues. I would recommending using a holster with some form of retention that someone cannot easily snatch from you.

VIP Member
    Along with your dress and how you look, how you talk will have a big effect on how things go. Surprising how much a "Yes, Ma'am or No Sir" over a "Yep or Nope" will make a difference.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That's a tough call. I also have been interested in carrying since before I was old enough. Having just turned 21 and got my permit I have never OC'ed. I live in middle TN and I have only seen 1 person open carry (not counting LEO) in my life. In TN you have to be 21 either way but if I had the option at 18 to at least OC I certainly would have carried a few times and debated carrying all the time.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I would recommending using a holster with some form of retention that someone cannot easily snatch from you.
    +1

If you like the Fobus holster look into Blackhawk Serpa (I like my Fobus for my LCP tho, not saying they aren't good).
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

If your as grown up as you sound, and its legal then it legal and OC if you feel the need or want to.
    And though you dont have too, for petes sakes if some Leo decides he just has to see an id or he cant sleep that night just show it to him and be on your way. A couple of times in your area of that if you do in fact get that hassle and they wont hassle you anymore.

Only other advise that maybe i missed in the thread but if its there ill repeat it.
    You sound very grown up for your age. Some of your friends may not be quite so much and when hanging with you could get you into a world of trouble. One of your buddies doenst like someone else gets into a squabble and comes off with something like. "You better back off my buddies got a gun". I think your smart enough to see where that could lead.
    As long as you know when to shoot and when to keep the thing in its holster and have thought out other little situations like the one I just mentioned I dont see a reason you shouldnt. Good luck
    darbo likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    If you are mature enough fight and die for our country in foreign wars, I think you can handle carrying a handgun and follow the law. Just know the laws as best you can.
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    Wow, interesting post and thread. Normally I would say a blanket NO WAY, but your situation
    is different from others who have come here. 1) It is very clearly legal where you are; 2) You
    sound quite together upstairs.

I have a few thoughts for you and the decision is of course clearly yours.

How do you rate the relative risk or chance of your running into trouble with a BG v your running
    into trouble from open carry? It might be that your best option is to simply stay away from the
    places where trouble might find you, or you it. And, although it should not be the case, OC
    in certain places might bring you more trouble than it is worth. Gasmitty alluded to that as he
    mentioned various attitudes and how they differ by geography and jurisdiction.

If you do decide to OC, or even if you decide not to OC, please read, "The Little Black Book of Violence:
    What Every Young Man Needs to Know About Fighting." The title is a tad misleading. It is
    a great book of practical lessons and ideas for staying out of trouble. You can be the nicest kindest
    guy, fair, have good friends, try to stay away from trouble, but there are some common ways in
    which trouble can find you as a young man. Best to learn about them because sometimes they
    aren't apparent until the trap door has sprung.

Finally, I have no idea if you have any sort of martial arts background or hand to hand self-defense
    training. Someone else here suggested you use a retention holster. I of course second that. But
    besides the retention holster, you need some training in gun retention. You can bet some blankety blank
    bigger guy, perhaps with a little liquor in him, will see that you are OCing, see that you are young, and
    try to take it from you. Being drunk they will think they are just clowning and having a great time
    playing with the kid. You don't want to be there, and you need some techniques to protect
    yourself from losing that gun and for getting away that are short of using that gun.

So, give that part some thought.

My sense is that if you stay in the decent parts of town, don't hoot with the owls at night,
    you probably can safely wait till you are 21, and should.

Good luck whichever way you decide.
    darbo, KBSR and Jeanlouise like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    No.
    I think that response could be a lot more helpful if you stated your reasoning behind it.

You sound like a very mature and sound minded young man. I'm sure you could carry openly with due consideration of those around you. That being said, you've only been driving a car for two years. Wait three more and CC.

Carrying openly removes options that CC people have. It also makes you a target that you may not be ready to be.
    Burns likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I grew up around a lot of WWII and Korean War Vets and it wasn't uncommon to see some of them with a revolver or 1911 in an OWB carried openly. No one paid it a bit of attention other than me as I oogled the sidearms. For whatever reason, the tide of OC roiled out, I suppose maybe because many of the old OC'ers faded into retirement or the Great Beyond. Now OC is a rarity and apparently a reason for scorn from many. I'm hoping the tide will roil back in.
    Burns and Ogre like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Keep in mind that 50% of this forum, maybe more, thinks that open carrying makes you a target. They don't have any real statistics to back it up. In fact, I'm sure you could find more statistics stating the opposite. Iin current times, people of the age of 18 are still very childish and inexperienced in many areas of life. You can generally get by with those attitudes, but not when a gun in introduced into the equation. My best advice is to scour the forums. Learn all that you can about the responsibility of carrying. Hop gave some good advice about hand to hand self defense and situational avoidance.

That said, I don't see any reason why you can't be responsible enough to carry. We have thousands of soldiers that are your age doing it every single day. Yes, they are trained. It's up to you do do your own training and research or get some formal training if you can. This isn't an absolute requirement. Most people on the forums never did. But it can help keep you safe and out of trouble and most importantly, keep you from doing something stupid.
    KBSR and archer51 like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links