Got the nod from an LEO (Just a short story from Sunday)

This is a discussion on Got the nod from an LEO (Just a short story from Sunday) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 As it should be... Are you in Anchorage? Yep - sure am :)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Got the nod from an LEO (Just a short story from Sunday)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    As it should be...
    Are you in Anchorage?

Yep - sure am :)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    +1 for the good guys.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Originally Posted by retsupt99

As it should be...
    Are you in Anchorage?

Yep - sure am :)

The tropics of Alaska.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Seriously.

People even have "no hoodie" signs on their doors.

People seem to have the opinion that if you wear a hoodie you must automatically be a thug up to no good, rather than just an average law-abiding citizen choosing to wear a comfortable and popular style of garment.

Rediculous.

Anyway, great story about your OC experience!
    Don't know about you, but in my experience, there's one more distinction that your not making. Are you wearing or not wearing the hood up over your head? When I see someone wearing a hoodie, and the hood's pulled up, my first thought is "why are they covering their head?" Now, I understand if it's 20 degrees outside, but if it's 60, and their still wearing that hoodie with the hood up, my next thought is, "why do they not want me to SEE their head?" There's a number of answers to that, a good portion of which, are bad.

So yeah, when I see someone with a hoodie that has the hood up and the weather doesn't call for it, I absolutely think that it might be a person with ulterior motives, and response accordingly.

---OP----

Great story. I had to wonder why the cop was so quick to respond, but maybe he was just diffusing what he thought might be a strange situation? Either way, good to hear.

Yeah he was pretty quick, to be fair it was probably more than an immediate response, but memory feels that way - probably due to surprise hah.

But seriously, he gave me a quick one over, and dismissed it. I think that's a logical point, he might have just wanted to diffuse it super quick. Plus, like I said, it really would -not- take more than a quick glance to know I wasn't an leo, I think, from his perspective. Even if he wasn't immediately able to place the face as a yes or no, my physical condition (or lack of good physical condition) is a pretty dead giveaway imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Don't know about you, but in my experience, there's one more distinction that your not making. Are you wearing or not wearing the hood up over your head? When I see someone wearing a hoodie, and the hood's pulled up, my first thought is "why are they covering their head?" Now, I understand if it's 20 degrees outside, but if it's 60, and their still wearing that hoodie with the hood up, my next thought is, "why do they not want me to SEE their head?" There's a number of answers to that, a good portion of which, are bad.

So yeah, when I see someone with a hoodie that has the hood up and the weather doesn't call for it, I absolutely think that it might be a person with ulterior motives, and response accordingly.

---OP----

Great story. I had to wonder why the cop was so quick to respond, but maybe he was just diffusing what he thought might be a strange situation? Either way, good to hear.

Some of us have a head like a large farm animal and would rather hide it when we have the chance
    Where i live OC doesnt raise an eyebrow even in a bank. Now ive heard here that in other parts of Ky its a bigger deal but here is pretty rural so maybe thats the difference.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    A little change from the OP, and not trying to hijack the thread, but if we're into LEO stories I have one from last Thursday night you all might appreciate.

I was standing in front of the take-out counter at a local Italian place, paying for my benefits (whenever I take care of dinner and my wife does not have to cook it's to my benefit) when a hand/finger hits me in the small of my back and the man attached to it says, "don't move." As soon as he did that, I reached back there and grabbed the Kahr PM9 that was secured there and spun around to a guy who suddenly realized what that solid thing under my shirt was that his hand brushed, and he was quickly turning pale.

"[my name]! It's me! [his name]! Sorry!"

He knew the second he brushed against the grip he'd perhaps made an error. Luckily for him he's a very good LEO friend of mine that I go to church with. Once we both took a breath we shook hands and exchanged some hasty pleasantries in front of the rest of the customers. We covered the incident at church on Sunday and he noted next time he'll put his finger a little higher up in my back. I suggested he refrain from the finger in the back. 'Cause you just never know.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Alaska, that wants hunters & outdoorsman to come, are more receptive than a lot of the lower states. Good Luck & Play Safe!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    bigmacque, what was your "LEO friend" thinking? Kind of a dumb move on his part. Buy him a bag of marbles as he's lost a few.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

good story, LEOs that respect the OCer are a credit to the uniform. in my opinion, people that carry make thier job a lil bit easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links