Got the nod from an LEO (Just a short story from Sunday)

This is a discussion on Got the nod from an LEO (Just a short story from Sunday) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So Sunday morning I decided to run to the store to stock up on the various things a growing kid needs. Wallet in pocket and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Got the nod from an LEO (Just a short story from Sunday)

So Sunday morning I decided to run to the store to stock up on the various things a growing kid needs. Wallet in pocket and ready to feel the hit of a hungry ten year old, I decided to go for comfort and speed and threw on the PPQ in it's OWB holster.

Flash forward to the store, it's around 10:30am, and starting to get busy. I'm only wearing jeans and a simple hoodie, and the firearm is clearly visible on the hip.

This isn't the first time I've OC'ed to this store or others, and as usual it was a non event, no comments or odd looks, until right as I was checking out. One checkout lane beside me is an LEO in standard on-duty attire, and we're being checked out at the same time. As we're leaving, the man helping him with his bags glances at me and asks "Are you a cop too?"

Before I can respond the LEO turns, glances at me, then the gun, and then says "Nope, just looks like a good citizen to me." Then he keeps walking, bag helper moving to catch up.

Just thought I'd share, I was a bit stunned for a moment, in the couple of seconds that took place I expected numerous things, less pleasant than what actually occurred. Still no noticeable reaction from other patrons either.

Damn I love Alaska (at times :P)

2. Remove Ads

Very cool.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Maybe the store offers LEO discounts.
    Snub44 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Alaska, all i can say is Damn Cold lol
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT, Sig Sauer P938, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 17 Gen 3, Remington 870, Grandpa's Old Single Shot 12 Gauge

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Maybe the store offers LEO discounts.
    Maybe, but a bit late to ask when we're already walking out of the store and have paid :P Plus he was the bagger, not the cashier.

Glad to hear !

Good thing you don't live in the lower 48. OC is ok but that hoodie might have gotten you in trouble.
    Alex_C, SL1ckOne and bigmacque like this.

Seriously? Wow. I mean I didn't have the hood up, it was just what I was wearing :) Perception though, good point.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    Seriously? Wow. I mean I didn't have the hood up, it was just what I was wearing :) Perception though, good point.
    Seriously.

People even have "no hoodie" signs on their doors.

People seem to have the opinion that if you wear a hoodie you must automatically be a thug up to no good, rather than just an average law-abiding citizen choosing to wear a comfortable and popular style of garment.

Rediculous.

Anyway, great story about your OC experience!

Good story, thanks for sharing! That is the way it should be!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

I live an a tiny town in Wes Texas. About half of the cops here know who carries and those of us who do carry know many of the others.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    64zebra likes this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    So Sunday morning I decided to run to the store to stock up on the various things a growing kid needs. Wallet in pocket and ready to feel the hit of a hungry ten year old, I decided to go for comfort and speed and threw on the PPQ in it's OWB holster.

Flash forward to the store, it's around 10:30am, and starting to get busy. I'm only wearing jeans and a simple hoodie, and the firearm is clearly visible on the hip.

This isn't the first time I've OC'ed to this store or others, and as usual it was a non event, no comments or odd looks, until right as I was checking out. One checkout lane beside me is an LEO in standard on-duty attire, and we're being checked out at the same time. As we're leaving, the man helping him with his bags glances at me and asks "Are you a cop too?"

Before I can respond the LEO turns, glances at me, then the gun, and then says "Nope, just looks like a good citizen to me." Then he keeps walking, bag helper moving to catch up.

Just thought I'd share, I was a bit stunned for a moment, in the couple of seconds that took place I expected numerous things, less pleasant than what actually occurred. Still no noticeable reaction from other patrons either.

Damn I love Alaska (at times :P)

What I find more interesting is the officer knew immediately that your were not a police officer....
    d2jlking likes this.

As it should be...
    Are you in Anchorage?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

...OP wuz prolly buyin' pretzels...instead of Krispy Kremes...

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    What I find more interesting is the officer knew immediately that your were not a police officer....
    ep1953 and ncsteveh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post

Really? I didn't think much of it. Most of the police here I imagine are at least passingly aware of each other, Anchorage is not a huge city by any stretch. Beyond that, I am clearly not an officer, sorry but it really is pretty obvious if you see me lol. 260 pounds (and dropping! ><) is a big beyond even the 'stereotypical donut cop' :P Plus you can count the number of asian officers in APD on one hand, maybeeee one and a half.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links