Why wouldn't open carry make you LESS of a target?

This is a discussion on Why wouldn't open carry make you LESS of a target? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First, I'm new here - I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I thought I'd see what you all think anyway. The prevailing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Why wouldn't open carry make you LESS of a target?

Why wouldn't open carry make you LESS of a target?

First, I'm new here - I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I thought I'd see what you all think anyway. The prevailing wisdom is when you carry openly, you make yourself a target because a perpetrator will go after you first to thwart any resisting to their intended crime.

However, putting myself into the position of a thief, if I wanted to hold up a store, I want to STEAL. I don't want to MURDER. Criminals are stupid and crazy, but most of them know the difference between theft and murder. Would it not make sense that, when a would-be perpetrator of a theft sees someone in the store with a gun, they leave and come back some other time? The prevailing thought here is that thiefs would immediately take the crime one step further and kill whomever has a gun showing.

I could be wrong, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Eagleks likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I predict at least 4 pages...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I think it can be a deterrent in some instances, and on very rare occasions, it can make you a target. Just my .02
    carracer likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I think it can be a deterrent in some instances, and on very rare occasions, it can make you a target. Just my .02
    It definitely does both....plus brings unwanted attention to yourself...and if the bad guy has a weapon he pulls it on you and takes your weapon........enough said.....no more pages needed.....your prediction of 4 is way to many.....we just said it all.

lol
    USM1976 likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Trying to predict answers to these sorts of questions is all but useless. IMO, your line of thought is flawed simply because you are assuming that you actually know what drives a criminal action; you don't.

It could make you more of a target, less of a target or matter not at all, depending on the situation. There's no hard lines you can draw because the variable that matters most is completely outside the ability to guess accurately; that being the mind of the criminal. Some may be immediately dissuaded by the sight of someone open carrying and others might choose to simply eliminate that 'threat' before they carry on with their plan. It all depends on how desperate, resolved, fearful, hardened, violent, drug addicted, homicidal or mentally defunct they are. Simply wearing a pistol in plain sight doesn't guarantee that everyone, including the criminal, will even notice it. Sure you might, but you dig firearms and you are also not speeding through life high as a kite (presumably). We've all heard the stories of the dumb criminal who tries to rob the doughnut shop with the cops in it. Criminals aren't doing what they do because they're on a break from their nuclear engineering gig. They are generally not real high on the mentality scale. They do dumb stuff.

Personally, I don't care for OC because I don't want anyone to know I have a firearm. I could care less about any potential benefit it might have because I accept that it could work the other way as well, and I prefer to keep my options to myself until/unless I have need to act.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by sdnet View Post
    First, I'm new here - I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I thought I'd see what you all think anyway. The prevailing wisdom is when you carry openly, you make yourself a target because a perpetrator will go after you first to thwart any resisting to their intended crime.

However, putting myself into the position of a thief, if I wanted to hold up a store, I want to STEAL. I don't want to MURDER. Criminals are stupid and crazy, but most of them know the difference between theft and murder. Would it not make sense that, when a would-be perpetrator of a theft sees someone in the store with a gun, they leave and come back some other time? The prevailing thought here is that thiefs would immediately take the crime one step further and kill whomever has a gun showing.

I could be wrong, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Your thinking is probably correct if the robber spots the open carrier before the robbery commences. "Whoops!! My bad. Let's wait for another day."

The problem comes when the robbery is already under way and the thief spots the open carrier. "OMG a man with a gun!!! What do I do now???"

If the thief spots you first, his gun is already drawn, and he panics...then things get sticky.

All of the above is speculation of course. You never know what is going to happen during a robbery until it happens and there aren't thousands of people walking the streets looking for open carriers to gun down. Cops open carry every day without a problem.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

The main reason I thought this topic up is because many use a "matter-of-fact" way of arguing that openly carrying makes you a target, period. I definitely agree that it depends on the situation and I don't pretend to be able to get into the mind of a criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post

I predict at least 4 pages...

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sdnet View Post
    The main reason I thought this topic up is because many use a "matter-of-fact" way of arguing that openly carrying makes you a target, period. I definitely agree that it depends on the situation and I don't pretend to be able to get into the mind of a criminal.
    I see people open carrying just about every day...apparently without a problem, since I'm not seeing anything in the news. If I wanted to open carry, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd carry in a good holster and probably wouldn't do something like small of back carry where somebody could just come up and steal the gun from me in a crowd. That would be my biggest concern and is why I usually at least keep it semi-concealed.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I have never advocated it makes you a target. My problem with OC is the unintended consequences it may bring, and I have personally witnessed.

Each his own, but I prefer discretion, and being able to be the one to decide if my gun needs to be part of the event, and not someone else.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have never advocated it makes you a target. My problem with OC is the unintended consequences it may bring, and I have personally witnessed.

Each his own, but I prefer discretion, and being able to be the one to decide if my gun needs to be part of the event, and not someone else.
    x2 very well said
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "First, I'm new here - I'm sure this topic has been discussed before,"

First, welcome. Second, Oh, yeah, it's been discussed at least a couple of times.

OC has it's reasons and its place. I don't care either way, OC does not bother me. I'd rather people carry by either method, or both, than not carry at all. I have done both, but do not now due to state prohibition of OC. It's a personal decision, not a popular concensus.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    By this, I'm assuming you're referring to being hassled by police officers or others?

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I am all for those who choose to OC, but I choose not to do it myself. I am not counting on some BG to provide rational thought and decide it might be better to move onto some other location because this isn't the place to be because he sees I have a gun if I was OCing. A BG will always have the tactical advantage over me because I will never be the first to draw my weapon. If he does see me carrying, he very well may try to shoot me first because to him I am threat and he would want to eliminate it. If I am CCing, he is none the wiser and may pay me no attention which may give me chance to get a tactical advantage. In addition, OC can induce the MWAG hysteria with someone that I don't want do deal with. Just don't want the headache.

I agree with glockman, the unintended consequences are especially possible in some places, and CC certainly has many advantages. That said, we cannot OC here in FL, but when I travel to see the grandkids in IN, I go travel through GA, TN, and KY. I would normally CC, but if getting gas late at night I would OC...let it be seen in the hope that some dirtbag would pick an easier target.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links