For those who open carry, remember: you represent all gun owners

This is a discussion on For those who open carry, remember: you represent all gun owners within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a quick message or reminder - especially for those of us who carry openly (as I do some of the time), remember that when ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: For those who open carry, remember: you represent all gun owners

  1. #1
    Member Array sdnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18

    For those who open carry, remember: you represent all gun owners

    Just a quick message or reminder - especially for those of us who carry openly (as I do some of the time), remember that when you do, you represent ALL gun owners in the eyes of the general public. So if you walk with a swagger or some sense of entitlement when carrying openly, that reflects negatively on all of us. When you lose your temper, argue excessively, cut in line - whatever, just remember, people see that and draw inferences based on those actions of all gun owners. That, if it gets bad enough, influences people's decision-making abilities when it comes to support for politicians and legislation. If people believe all gun owners are crazy pricks, then guess what?

    This isn't a lecture, because I've personally NEVER witnessed an openly carrying gun owner act irresponsibly. This is just a reminder.
    mano3, Snub44, carracer and 14 others like this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,119
    A good reminder for all, with respect to the goal of simply being a decent person. The Golden Rule is ... well, golden.
    mano3, msgt/ret, SCXDm9 and 5 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  4. #3
    Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,709
    When I OC I am very conscious of being polite, respectful etc. I sometimes can be a bit "snarky", for some reason OC reminds me to use my "manner words" as mother would say.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

    There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

    Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array SmokinFool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,297
    Great reminder. Whether we want to be or not, and whether we like it or not, those of us who carry, especially openly, are ambassadors for gun owners and shooters everywhere. We must act accordingly.

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    1,291
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A good reminder for all, with respect to the goal of simply being a decent person. The Golden Rule is ... well, golden.
    +1 on what ccw9mm said.

  7. #6
    Member Array sdnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    When I OC I am very conscious of being polite, respectful etc. I sometimes can be a bit "snarky", for some reason OC reminds me to use my "manner words" as mother would say.
    Yup, likewise.
    --
    Steve - Software Developer, Editor
    http://www.smallgovtimes.com

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,171
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    When I OC I am very conscious of being polite, respectful etc. I sometimes can be a bit "snarky", for some reason OC reminds me to use my "manner words" as mother would say.
    I'm as polite OC'ing as CC'ing, or not carrying at all. No sense ruffling feathers. Of course maybe that just comes with being 60+ and using a cane to get around.
    carracer, NewtownSam and wrearick like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    15,939
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A good reminder for all, with respect to the goal of simply being a decent person. The Golden Rule is ... well, golden.
    I don't know about that. Seems today's society has down-valued it to tin or copper.
    USM1976 and wmhawth like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by sdnet View Post
    This isn't a lecture,...
    It really kinda is. Grownups shouldnt really have to be reminded to act right...jus sayin...but your point is taken.
    Snatale42 likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

  11. #10
    Member Array Dumbledork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    162
    thkis is the most asinine thing regarding open carry I've read, along with the "open carry makes you a target" garbage. I don't carry a gun to represent anything, other than saying to the world, "I'm armed, so piss off."

    Carrying a gun doesn't magically alter your personality. If you're a jerk, you only become an armed jerk. Snob, nerd, social butterfly, shy...just add "armed" as a prefix.

    If you want to be an activist, go march in front of a courthouse with a placard or some crap. I personally don't give a damn about what anyone thinks, including faceless forum members. I'm going to continue to act the way I normally do, which can be polite, or extremely rude. And I don't care. I carry a gun in case I have to shoot someone, not represent gun owners. That's jjust stupid
    Anubis likes this.

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,119
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A good reminder for all, with respect to the goal of simply being a decent person. The Golden Rule is ... well, golden.
    I don't know about that. Seems today's society has down-valued it to tin or copper.
    All the more valuable, given that so many are forgetting what's worth fighting for in this world.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  13. #12
    Member Array NewtownSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    thkis is the most asinine thing regarding open carry I've read, along with the "open carry makes you a target" garbage. I don't carry a gun to represent anything, other than saying to the world, "I'm armed, so piss off."

    Carrying a gun doesn't magically alter your personality. If you're a jerk, you only become an armed jerk. Snob, nerd, social butterfly, shy...just add "armed" as a prefix.

    If you want to be an activist, go march in front of a courthouse with a placard or some crap. I personally don't give a damn about what anyone thinks, including faceless forum members. I'm going to continue to act the way I normally do, which can be polite, or extremely rude. And I don't care. I carry a gun in case I have to shoot someone, not represent gun owners. That's jjust stupid

    This is reminiscent of that "I'm not a role model" statement one of those basketball players said years ago. I call shenanigans. The public at large will judge you, and the rest of us by extension, by your demeanor and actions, whether you care or not.
    In my humble opinion, you owe it to our community to represent us well. I have a feeling you disagree, but to each his own.

    Oh, and I assure you, Sir, that I have a face- it just so happens that it is only marginally better looking than the dog in my avatar pic ;)

    Respectfully,
    Sam
    PAPADALE1, USM1976, Ogre and 2 others like this.
    Take the long way home...

  14. #13
    Member Array Dumbledork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    162
    Using the rationale proposed by people here, I will begin to judge people with autism by Adam Lanza's actions. Also, whenever I see a black person acting "ghetto", I will use that as a yardstick to jjudge all black people. Because it makes sense. Sounds legit, right?

  15. #14
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,167
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtownSam View Post
    This is reminiscent of that "I'm not a role model" statement one of those basketball players said years ago. I call shenanigans. The public at large will judge you, and the rest of us by extension, by your demeanor and actions, whether you care or not.
    In my humble opinion, you owe it to our community to represent us well. I have a feeling you disagree, but to each his own.

    Oh, and I assure you, Sir, that I have a face- it just so happens that it is only marginally better looking than the dog in my avatar pic ;)

    Respectfully,
    Sam
    I don't know you, and don't owe you anything. That is a quote from an instructor who I do know and respect.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  16. #15
    Member Array NewtownSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbledork View Post
    Using the rationale proposed by people here, I will begin to judge people with autism by Adam Lanza's actions. Also, whenever I see a black person acting "ghetto", I will use that as a yardstick to jjudge all black people. Because it makes sense. Sounds legit, right?

    If you saw black/white/purple people acting like upstanding citizens, is it safe for me to assume that you would judge their entire race accordingly? I hope so!
    The same can be said of being a good ambassador whilst open carrying- You might change someone's opinion for the better :)

    Respectfully,
    Sam
    Take the long way home...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

how many gun owers open carry
,
how many gun owners open carry
,
open carry pistol while canoeing
,

open carry texas

,
why don't many gun owners open carry
Click on a term to search for related topics.