Maryland resident open carry in PA?

This is a discussion on Maryland resident open carry in PA? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After much research I am still not clear on the topic of open carrying in PA as a maryland resident. Could someone clarify or point ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maryland resident open carry in PA?

Maryland resident open carry in PA?

After much research I am still not clear on the topic of open carrying in PA as a maryland resident. Could someone clarify or point me to the right place to find a solid answer to this question?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Zwsanders View Post
    After much research I am still not clear on the topic of open carrying in PA as a maryland resident. Could someone clarify or point me to the right place to find a solid answer to this question?
    To the best of my understanding, you would be able to do so, as long as we are not in a state of emergency (which requires a license to carry firearms). Getting your gun here legally would be a bit of a problem though.

You have to be going directly to or directly from a range or gun smith or your residence to have a gun in your vehicle (unloaded). Also, as soon as you enter a car, motorcycle, bicycle, ATV, or even a golf cart, you are considered to be concealing...

It might just be easier if you get a PA non-resident LTCF. Then you can OC or CC without any worries.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Thanks .... Basically I can legally open carry in pa but can not transport legally to where I'm going. For example if I were to go to lowes or homedepot in pa I could not carry my firearm unloaded in my truck then reteive and open carry it once there?

Thanks .... Basically I can legally open carry in pa but can not transport legally to where I'm going. For example if I were to go to lowes or homedepot in pa I could not carry my firearm unloaded in my truck then reteive and open carry it once there?
    That is correct. You could walk there and walk back to your residence while OCing, but you can't transport the gun in your vehicle, even unloaded, without a license to carry firearms.

If you come to PA often, you can get a non-resident LTCF for $20. Not all counties issue non-resident permits, but if you are interested, you can do more research at forums.pafoa.org. They had a list of the counties that issue to non-residents a while ago, and I think it is still up there.

You could also get a nonresident permit from a state that PA honors (like Maine, New Hampshire, Arizona, etc.) and carry in PA with that, although our attorney general just made that illegal with a Florida non-resident permit...
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Thank you much for the info... Sadly I received
    A DUI 2 years ago and to my understanding if I'm not mistaken I have to wait 6 years to hold any LTCF.

VIP Member
    Badey, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a permit required to open carry in Philly? I seem to remember some exception to the general rules for OC where Philly concerned.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I do know that Philly is a class 1 city and you can not open carry in class 1 cities

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Badey, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a permit required to open carry in Philly? I seem to remember some exception to the general rules for OC where Philly concerned.
    Yeah, you are right. I felt like i was leaving something out. OC is legal everywhere without a LTCF, except for Philly.

I do know that Philly is a class 1 city and you can not open carry in class 1 cities
    here is a good link about DUI and LTCF in PA

cc permit w/ dui

You may still be able to get one...

Very nice thanks for that ! What would be the process of obtaining one ?

Another option is that you could get a Florida non resident permit and carry concealed in most states.

incorrect...i have carried openly in philly...philly is different that you must have a license to carry openly.. also you can car carry with any states license even if PA doesnt honor it
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Another option is that you could get a Florida non resident permit and carry concealed in most states.

i dont know if its gone into effect yet but PA's attorney general is trying to stop florida reciprocity with non resident licenses
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    To the best of my understanding, you would be able to do so, as long as we are not in a state of emergency (which requires a license to carry firearms). Getting your gun here legally would be a bit of a problem though.

You have to be going directly to or directly from a range or gun smith or your residence to have a gun in your vehicle (unloaded). Also, as soon as you enter a car, motorcycle, bicycle, ATV, or even a golf cart, you are considered to be concealing...

It might just be easier if you get a PA non-resident LTCF. Then you can OC or CC without any worries.
    Have you ever OC'd in Pittsburgh? In all the time I've lived there, I've never once seen it and according to PAFOA, it's not exactly a good idea to do so.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    i dont know if its gone into effect yet but PA's attorney general is trying to stop florida reciprocity with non resident licenses
    Interesting, didn't know that. I've been thinking about getting a FL permit in addition to my TX CHL but haven't bothered to do so yet. It would give me carry rights in a couple more states, our reciprocity unilaterally here is for pretty much any state, even the de facto no issue ones. Unfortunately, it is just that, unilateral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links