May be a repost but well worded

This is a discussion on May be a repost but well worded within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please read all this site. The guy has a lot of wisdom and is due credit for a well thought and well worded post. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: May be a repost but well worded

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Please read all this site. The guy has a lot of wisdom and is due credit for a well thought and well worded post.

The Open Carry Argument

Sorry if this has been posted prior.
    Ogre, BenGoodLuck, Snub44 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

It is a great piece. Personally I support open carry. The one reason though NOT to open carry was not discussed in that post though. It's not about the bad guy being the problem with open carry. It is about the "good guys" as the real problem with open carry. All it takes is one trip to youtube to see tons of people who legally open carry that are constantly harassed for no reason by police or other individuals in authority. Having to go through the pain of constant police harassment is the main reason to conceal carry. Unless you know that where you open carry is going to be handled well by LEO, I wouldn't suggest doing so. You make yourself a target. Not from the bad guys but from the good guys.
    NONAME762 and commonground like this.

I conceal carry but it makes me think about trying out Open Carry.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I support open carry, but this piece does nothing to change my opinion on why I strictly CC.

My primary reason is that I, and only I want to be the one that has the ability to show my cards. I don't want my gun or anyone else to do it for me.

It is not a matter of shame, paranoia or cowardice. It is a matter of discretion.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Having never had a problem with OC, including LE, why should I not OC? Around here, it is as common as seeing a four wheel drive truck. In fact, it is so common that few pay it any attention.

The flip side is that ALL criminals carry concealed.

As to showing ones cards, a concealed weapon is more difficult to draw in time of need. I have been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. As a member of LE, I will usually carry openly during duty. If I am doing an assignment, I may have to go CC. It is not easy draw.

An example of this is a man was eating in a south LA restaurant a couple years back. He was CC. A man with an open gun came in and opened fire on his wife (waitress) in a domestic dispute. She was killed. The man CC was shot as he tried to pull his weapon. Before he died, he managed to get a couple of shots off and injured the active shooter. The shooter went to the parking lot and committed suicide. Had he had ready access to his weapon, he likely would not have been noticed.

Some of my work wear is made for immediate access without having to reach inside the clothing but not many people will pay a couple hundred for a concealment shirt or light jacket just for concealment purposes and have to wear it routinely. Shirts require washing at times and jackets are often hot.

VIP Member
    Good points oldman45, and thank you for your post as well as your service.

Concealed does not necessarily mean a slower draw, though.

I do not tuck. Either my shirt is out, or I pocket-carry. In either case, I can casually place my hand on the grip without anyone knowing. It's a heckuva head-start in the drawing process.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only thing I would disagree with is the lions and hyenas statement. Hyenas do regualarly steal the lions' kill. It's all about a numbers advantage.

Otherwise, I have to agree with his points. That OC gun is not more a target than that purse, I-pod, smartphone, or anything else a BG decides he's too sorry to work and earn. And instead of being the first target, you're far more likely to be the "Wait until that guy with the gun leaves" motivation.

People are so strange when it comes to openly carried firearms. They'd rather panic upon seeing a gun openly holstered than realize no BG is going to wear his firearm on his hip. Yet, in ignorant bliss, they never consider that the guy in front or behind them has a gun under his shirt.

As for me, I'd rather OC, but can't in FL, and have no issue with either method. Just carry something somehow.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I agree with the author completely. I too carry for protection and would prefer to never be forced to use my firearm. Like the author I too believe that a crime prevented is better than one stopped mid-commission. At the point I draw my firearm my life has changed forever.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

VIP Member
    This is an extremely well thought out piece and deserves a careful reading. I can't open carry in Texas, but I'd consider it if I could. I suppose the open vs. concealed debate is much like the pro vs. anti gun debate. Neither side usually changes its mind. On the other hand, since we're already pro-gun, the debate over open vs. concealed is more subtle.

Maybe the best answer is: it depends. It depends on your mind-set and personal situation. In areas where open carry is legal but not common, the carrier has to deal with the public perception of a gun carried on his hip. While others' perceptions of me will never affect my desire and need to defend myself, an open carrier has to be prepared for the additional stress of others knowing that he is carrying.

In Israel, licensed carriers almost always open carry and its not an issue at all. When I lived there, I was always relieved to see someone at the mall or on the street open carrying, because I somehow felt safer. Here in the States we have to deal with many people who are anti-gun and would call the police if they saw someone open carrying a gun.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

No issues in Idaho.

I CC myself, though I have nothing against OC. My draw is some what slower but not much. I prefer the "grey man" approach don't like to be noticed.

The only other scenario it would matter is the blaze of glory scenario "aka mass shootings." A person with open carry may be picked out to be shot first to get their "score" up before they go out. Of course most mass shooters are looking to shoot in areas where they can kill with impunity before being stopped and going out. They'll likely chose an area not with people carrying, either concealed or open. The three real cons for open carry are the reactions of law abiding citizens to seeing a gun on open display and the person not wearing a uniform, the reactions of LEOs, and the reaction of a mass shooter in the rare event is happens while you are there with your weapon.

The first two cons are mitigated by the area you are carrying in. The last not so much, but the chances of it occurring are so rare..

Here in PA you can go either way. Open carry with no permit and concealed with a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms. Up until now I have carried primarily concealed. When I have carried open in the past I always was self conscious about it but, for no good reason. I've never been challenged. The article does provide much food for thought. In the cooler climate that we have here, jackets are worn much of the year so, even with open carry it would probably be covered. Hmm?
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

That is a very well written article! Thank you! I am OC more and more. I am just disgusted by the Damnorats out here so I OC just to irritate them. Not in Denver though.

Carry any way you want to. I won't open carry, but I won't spit on the people who do, or wish to. As long as you are carrying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links