MS to become an "Open Carry" state on 1 July. - Page 5

MS to become an "Open Carry" state on 1 July.

This is a discussion on MS to become an "Open Carry" state on 1 July. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot down by a judge. There is now an injunction stopping open carry. There will be some type of meeting 8July to make some kind ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 91
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: MS to become an "Open Carry" state on 1 July.

  1. #61
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,419
    Shot down by a judge. There is now an injunction stopping open carry. There will be some type of meeting 8July to make some kind of determination. This happened late Friday and open carry is suppose to be legal Monday. There is no way all the people in Mississippi have gotten to word blocking open carry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato


  2. #62
    Member Array EeyoreCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mississippi & Afghanistan
    Posts
    84
    Well, on 8 July the judge held another "hearing" although his mind was already made up. He made his injunction "permanent," although the AG has announced he will appeal to the state Supreme Court. So no OC in MS until further notice. Of course, the AG could just withdraw the ridiculous opinion that brought this whole mess to the forefront, but I guess that'd just make too much sense.

    I knew Mississippi had one of the lowest literacy rates in the nation, but I didn't expect to find a sitting judge who couldn't read....
    Aceoky and Sister like this.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

  3. #63
    VIP Member Array StormRhydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Music City, USA
    Posts
    3,126
    So, does one need a permit to OC there? Or is this something anyone who can lawfully own a weapon do?

  4. #64
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    So, does one need a permit to OC there? Or is this something anyone who can lawfully own a weapon do?
    As it stands now, no. Will have to wait and see how the court rules on open carry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

  5. #65
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,089
    I can't stand activist judges....
    Aceoky, Sister and HybridImages like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

  6. #66
    New Member Array Blcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    1
    AG says injunction only applies to district in which ruling was made and since the law only clarified a definition, there is really nothing to injoin. Open carry has always been legal under the MS constitution. Concealed carry had a weird definition. A gun hanging by a string around the neck was considered concealed.

  7. #67
    Member Array billinmiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    sw miss.
    Posts
    17
    Actually, Steve, oc is legal here. Go to handgunlaw.us and you'll see the legislature legalized it for anyone with a carry permit this past spring. The fight over HB 2 is over the fact that it legalizes oc without a permit.

    billinmiss

  8. #68
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,419
    Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it looks like it is still no open carry to me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

  9. #69
    Member Array HybridImages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Gautier, MS
    Posts
    51
    Personally I wish they would settle this mess once and for all. I still can't understand how the liberal Hinds County Judge Kidd can legislate from the bench and infringe on the rights of 81 other countries that did not elect him. I contacted the AG's office as I'm sure many others also did. This whole mess has gotten the sheeple so worked up and these no firearms signs going up everywhere...it's a mess. Anyone on Facebook can go to wlox's page and leading up to and weeks after July 1 there was story after story being presented to get the scared liberals all stirred up. I lost count of how many false statements or twisted views I must have posted on there.
    Sister likes this.

  10. #70
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,419
    Our elected officials had good intentions when they passed (clarified) the Open Carry Law. It had a negative impact on the conceal carry community. Before the Bill passed I knew of one place that had a No Gun sign. Now every place does. The best thing to do for now is to push to nullify the No Gun signs for Conceal Carry and hope for a speedy, positive outcome on the Open Carry Law.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

  11. #71
    Member Array Qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mississippi/Tennessee
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Our elected officials had good intentions when they passed (clarified) the Open Carry Law. It had a negative impact on the conceal carry community. Before the Bill passed I knew of one place that had a No Gun sign. Now every place does. The best thing to do for now is to push to nullify the No Gun signs for Conceal Carry and hope for a speedy, positive outcome on the Open Carry Law.
    This law did NOT cause a negative impact on CCers. None. Period. The negative impact came from anti-gun media, out of state groups, etc. They are wholly and entirely to blame.

    You will never nullify "No Guns" signs for CC or OC as a trespass charge, because the carrying is done on private property. Owners of private property can allow or disallow whatever they want. Also, the CCW charge is only for CC with a regular permit past a properly worded sign. Other signs, an Enhanced Permit, or OC would not warrant a CCW charge.

  12. #72
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    This law did NOT cause a negative impact on CCers. None. Period. The negative impact came from anti-gun media, out of state groups, etc. They are wholly and entirely to blame.

    You will never nullify "No Guns" signs for CC or OC as a trespass charge, because the carrying is done on private property. Owners of private property can allow or disallow whatever they want. Also, the CCW charge is only for CC with a regular permit past a properly worded sign. Other signs, an Enhanced Permit, or OC would not warrant a CCW charge.
    In response to the passage of open carry many business's posted no firearms signs.
    We could certainly nullify signage having the weight of the law. If they figured out you were carrying and asked you to you could just leave. As it stands now you would be charged with a felony and if found guilty would not even be allowed to own a gun. There is a lot of difference between trespass charges and a felony.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

  13. #73
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,575
    ...I wonder how long it's been since someone was tarred and feathered in MS?
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridImages View Post
    Personally I wish they would settle this mess once and for all. I still can't understand how the liberal Hinds County Judge Kidd can legislate from the bench and infringe on the rights of 81 other countries that did not elect him. I contacted the AG's office as I'm sure many others also did. This whole mess has gotten the sheeple so worked up and these no firearms signs going up everywhere...it's a mess. Anyone on Facebook can go to wlox's page and leading up to and weeks after July 1 there was story after story being presented to get the scared liberals all stirred up. I lost count of how many false statements or twisted views I must have posted on there.

  14. #74
    Member Array wkmyers62's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    This law did NOT cause a negative impact on CCers. None. Period. The negative impact came from anti-gun media, out of state groups, etc. They are wholly and entirely to blame.

    You will never nullify "No Guns" signs for CC or OC as a trespass charge, because the carrying is done on private property. Owners of private property can allow or disallow whatever they want. Also, the CCW charge is only for CC with a regular permit past a properly worded sign. Other signs, an Enhanced Permit, or OC would not warrant a CCW charge.
    Actually not true. In MS if you have a CCW permit and take the class for Enhanced Carry then "No Gun" signs do not have the force of law. Enhanced Carry allows you to carry in almost any place whether they have a sign or not. Still a few restrictions but not many.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

  15. #75
    Member Array wkmyers62's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    44
    Sorry about that last post. Misread your post. You are right.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

mississippi open carry gun laws
,
mississippi open carry law
,

mississippi open carry law 2013

,
mississippi open carry laws
,

mississippi open carry laws 2013

,

ms gun laws open carry

,
ms open carry gun laws
,
ms open carry law
,

ms open carry law 2013

,
ms open carry laws
,
open carry mississippi
,
open carry mississippi july 1 2013
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors