MS to become an "Open Carry" state on 1 July. - Page 5

MS to become an "Open Carry" state on 1 July.

This is a discussion on MS to become an "Open Carry" state on 1 July. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot down by a judge. There is now an injunction stopping open carry. There will be some type of meeting 8July to make some kind ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: MS to become an "Open Carry" state on 1 July.

Shot down by a judge. There is now an injunction stopping open carry. There will be some type of meeting 8July to make some kind of determination. This happened late Friday and open carry is suppose to be legal Monday. There is no way all the people in Mississippi have gotten to word blocking open carry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Well, on 8 July the judge held another "hearing" although his mind was already made up. He made his injunction "permanent," although the AG has announced he will appeal to the state Supreme Court. So no OC in MS until further notice. Of course, the AG could just withdraw the ridiculous opinion that brought this whole mess to the forefront, but I guess that'd just make too much sense.

I knew Mississippi had one of the lowest literacy rates in the nation, but I didn't expect to find a sitting judge who couldn't read....
    Aceoky and Sister like this.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

So, does one need a permit to OC there? Or is this something anyone who can lawfully own a weapon do?

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    So, does one need a permit to OC there? Or is this something anyone who can lawfully own a weapon do?
    As it stands now, no. Will have to wait and see how the court rules on open carry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I can't stand activist judges....
    Aceoky, Sister and HybridImages like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

AG says injunction only applies to district in which ruling was made and since the law only clarified a definition, there is really nothing to injoin. Open carry has always been legal under the MS constitution. Concealed carry had a weird definition. A gun hanging by a string around the neck was considered concealed.

Actually, Steve, oc is legal here. Go to handgunlaw.us and you'll see the legislature legalized it for anyone with a carry permit this past spring. The fight over HB 2 is over the fact that it legalizes oc without a permit.

billinmiss

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it looks like it is still no open carry to me.

Personally I wish they would settle this mess once and for all. I still can't understand how the liberal Hinds County Judge Kidd can legislate from the bench and infringe on the rights of 81 other countries that did not elect him. I contacted the AG's office as I'm sure many others also did. This whole mess has gotten the sheeple so worked up and these no firearms signs going up everywhere...it's a mess. Anyone on Facebook can go to wlox's page and leading up to and weeks after July 1 there was story after story being presented to get the scared liberals all stirred up. I lost count of how many false statements or twisted views I must have posted on there.
    Sister likes this.

Our elected officials had good intentions when they passed (clarified) the Open Carry Law. It had a negative impact on the conceal carry community. Before the Bill passed I knew of one place that had a No Gun sign. Now every place does. The best thing to do for now is to push to nullify the No Gun signs for Conceal Carry and hope for a speedy, positive outcome on the Open Carry Law.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Our elected officials had good intentions when they passed (clarified) the Open Carry Law. It had a negative impact on the conceal carry community. Before the Bill passed I knew of one place that had a No Gun sign. Now every place does. The best thing to do for now is to push to nullify the No Gun signs for Conceal Carry and hope for a speedy, positive outcome on the Open Carry Law.
    This law did NOT cause a negative impact on CCers. None. Period. The negative impact came from anti-gun media, out of state groups, etc. They are wholly and entirely to blame.

You will never nullify "No Guns" signs for CC or OC as a trespass charge, because the carrying is done on private property. Owners of private property can allow or disallow whatever they want. Also, the CCW charge is only for CC with a regular permit past a properly worded sign. Other signs, an Enhanced Permit, or OC would not warrant a CCW charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    This law did NOT cause a negative impact on CCers. None. Period. The negative impact came from anti-gun media, out of state groups, etc. They are wholly and entirely to blame.

You will never nullify "No Guns" signs for CC or OC as a trespass charge, because the carrying is done on private property. Owners of private property can allow or disallow whatever they want. Also, the CCW charge is only for CC with a regular permit past a properly worded sign. Other signs, an Enhanced Permit, or OC would not warrant a CCW charge.
    In response to the passage of open carry many business's posted no firearms signs.
    We could certainly nullify signage having the weight of the law. If they figured out you were carrying and asked you to you could just leave. As it stands now you would be charged with a felony and if found guilty would not even be allowed to own a gun. There is a lot of difference between trespass charges and a felony.

...I wonder how long it's been since someone was tarred and feathered in MS?
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridImages View Post
    Personally I wish they would settle this mess once and for all. I still can't understand how the liberal Hinds County Judge Kidd can legislate from the bench and infringe on the rights of 81 other countries that did not elect him. I contacted the AG's office as I'm sure many others also did. This whole mess has gotten the sheeple so worked up and these no firearms signs going up everywhere...it's a mess. Anyone on Facebook can go to wlox's page and leading up to and weeks after July 1 there was story after story being presented to get the scared liberals all stirred up. I lost count of how many false statements or twisted views I must have posted on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post

Actually not true. In MS if you have a CCW permit and take the class for Enhanced Carry then "No Gun" signs do not have the force of law. Enhanced Carry allows you to carry in almost any place whether they have a sign or not. Still a few restrictions but not many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Sorry about that last post. Misread your post. You are right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links