OC in Texas Business

This is a discussion on OC in Texas Business within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. As you all know OC is currently illegal in Texas. I had read the laws and ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 4 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By MJB_17
  • 2 Post By WannabeaCPA
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 1 Post By linuss
  • 1 Post By USM1976
  • 1 Post By lionround
  • 1 Post By MJB_17
  • 1 Post By DMan
  • 2 Post By Snub44
  • 2 Post By Snub44

Thread: OC in Texas Business

OC in Texas Business

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. As you all know OC is currently illegal in Texas. I had read the laws and from what I understand business owners on their private property can OC. But it doesn't say much about employees. I am under the impression that employees would be allowed to OC in a business as long as it was on private property and the owner of the property/business allows the employee to OC.

Just want to clarify that my assumption is correct. Any information on this would be excellent.

2. Remove Ads

...if the business owner delegates control to the employee...they are not prohibited from OC or CC on that property...but don't go onto the sidewalk for a smoke...it's ONLY on the property...and few businessmen trust their people that much...we did it in the pawn shop, gun stores often do it...but it's liability on the individual and business owner should something go bad... the key is "control"...PC46.02(a)(1)

Every gun store I've ever been to in TX that is a dedicated gun store and not a general sporting goods store has their employees OCing on the premises.
    deafdave3 likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Every gun store or pawn store that I normally go to has OC. It's to protect against theft. When you have tools and guns worth $100's it's only good security.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Snub44 and deafdave3 like this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

...not so much about the money's worth as protection of life...I had two friends who were in their pawn shop working at their desks when two persons came in...immediately spread out and opened fire...though both had guns in their desks, and long guns a few steps away...neither could get to them before being shot several times...he died...she almost...
    ...we had another pawnshop owner murdered in his shop...not found for some time...it's a dangerous business...

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeaCPA View Post
    Every gun store or pawn store that I normally go to has OC. It's to protect against theft. When you have tools and guns worth $100's it's only good security.

deafdave3 likes this.

If your employer allows it, you're good. It's their property.

Proof? Look at the employees at gun stores OCing.
    deafdave3 likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...not so much about the money's worth as protection of life...I had two friends who were in their pawn shop working at their desks when two persons came in...immediately spread out and opened fire...though both had guns in their desks, and long guns a few steps away...neither could get to them before being shot several times...he died...she almost...
    ...we had another pawnshop owner murdered in his shop...not found for some time...it's a dangerous business...
    That's sad to here; the destruction of so many lives over money. I heard that in GA that two teens shot a young mother once and grazed her once and turned the gun on her 13 month old boy in a stroller and shot him. All this for money that she didn't have to give.

Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post

Many years ago (1985) while on patrol, I was going from pawn shop to pawn shop looking at cameras and of course, handguns. I had just walked into about the fourth store in NE Houston when a call went out there had been a shooting at the store I had just left...took me three minutes to get back to that store...the owner/proprietor was prepared when the armed thug entered the store deamding money...

The owner fired one time from a Charter Arms Bull Dog...after the boom and the vibration of the glass in the windows stopped, the body of the robber was found behind the store in a small open field. The .44 round had found its mark, and he died where he fell. No guarantees about caliber. This owner was prepared and vigilant....yes, a dangerous business....

Oh, yeah, in the pawn shop where I was when the call went out I returned to buy a S&W Model 27 .357 with a 3 1/2" barrel. Wish I still had that baby.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I grew up in Houston and my uncle had a pawn shop on Lyons Ave. For those of you familiar with the Fourth Ward, it's a tough neighborhood to say the least. Anyway he OC'd a 1950 Colt (see my sig) that I bought from his son after he sold the shop. Great little pistol. Dangerous business.
    Kennydale likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

My company does business with a large TX based chain of pawn shops (for software not the shady pawn type stuff), today I casually asked one of our sales reps who has to go out to the actual stores frequently how he feels about it. I didn't tell him why I was asking but his response was something to the effect of "I only really feel comfortable going to their corporate offices."
    NONAME762 likes this.

If it isn't strictly prohibited or discussed in the official policies of the business, I believe in the "Concealed means Concealed" and "Don't ask, Don't Tell" policies. More often than not, once it is raised a new policy is quickly added, or the next revision of the employee handbook/policies has a no weapons policy.
    lionround likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

...that was my first .357...exactly...$267.00...it saved my life when a woman's foot slipped off the clutch and she nailed me on that side when I was directing traffic...hit my new Safariland high-rise open top holster and new gun...knocked me about 10-12 feet through the air...I got up and drew my weapon, checked it out carefully, holstered it, stomped up to her truck and grabbed my hat off her hood...told her I'd wear it on my head, if she didn't mind...torn shirt and elbow, but if it hadn't been I was wearing a good steel bumper I'd have probably had a broken hip or worse...
    Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    Many years ago (1985) while on patrol, I was going from pawn shop to pawn shop looking at cameras and of course, handguns. I had just walked into about the fourth store in NE Houston when a call went out there had been a shooting at the store I had just left...took me three minutes to get back to that store...the owner/proprietor was prepared when the armed thug entered the store deamding money...

The owner fired one time from a Charter Arms Bull Dog...after the boom and the vibration of the glass in the windows stopped, the body of the robber was found behind the store in a small open field. The .44 round had found its mark, and he died where he fell. No guarantees about caliber. This owner was prepared and vigilant....yes, a dangerous business....

Oh, yeah, in the pawn shop where I was when the call went out I returned to buy a S&W Model 27 .357 with a 3 1/2" barrel. Wish I still had that baby.
    NONAME762 and USM1976 like this.

If it helps you I go to an indoor gun range (Houston), and all the staff are OC.... Guess it depends on the business.

...contrary to what the city folks say, there's a lot of smart cowboys in Texas...
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    Every gun store I've ever been to in TX that is a dedicated gun store and not a general sporting goods store has their employees OCing on the premises.
    deafdave3 and USM1976 like this.

Cool

Of all the jobe I've ever had in 40+years of working I've never worked retail where cash, checks, CC's changed hands. For the exact reasons I've seen posted in this thread is WHY. What's more the typical C store whether it was a 7-11 or AM-PM or even a Mom and Pop operation I never put in an application to work as a cashier for the basic reason of not wanting to get shot or killed in an attempted robbery.

At my last job we did some retail sales of plumbing parts and the occasional water setup tho we were forbidden to actually make cash sales. We merely filled out the neccessary forms and handed over the parts. The bill would go to the owner of the site as part of his power bill. Down front (Admin) carried out all sales that included a monetary transaction.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Links