OC State residency question

This is a discussion on OC State residency question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you have to be a resident of the state that allows open carry without a permit or can visitors open carry also? Is this ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldman45

Thread: OC State residency question

Do you have to be a resident of the state that allows open carry without a permit or can visitors open carry also? Is this going to be state specific?

Depends on the state. WV sticks out as an example where the AG says OC is just for residents, however, the law itself says no such thing...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

It figures it wouldn't be that simple.

Here is a good resource for OC. Check it out. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Open Carry | OpenCarry.org
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I actually just found that thanks !!

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    In Louisiana, just be here and you can carry openly. We are gun friendly. In fact, there are some bars here that will search you for a gun or knife as you enter. If you do not have one, they will loan you one.

Seriously, open carry is not just for residents. Those visiting fall under the same rules and laws that residents adhere to. Some states like OK, require a person to have a permit from their home state before being allowed to carry openly. Louisiana and several other OC states do not care who carries and no permit is required.
    Snub44 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In FL OC is very restricted but doesn't specify residency status.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks for all the input !! I am going to Florida this week and I'll study up. I would just like to experience open carry sometime and see how it feels :)

Well actually it is restricted to only when going directly to target shooting and hunting. So I guess that is not the place to try it out :(

VIP Member
    VA is open carry friendly and does not specify resident or non-resident.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It does depend upon the state.
    I have a FL resident license, it states a Concealed Carry only...my son live in IN. He can open carry but I cannot. One would have to have a license that allows OC in their home state to OC in Indiana.

Just the way it is...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links