First time OCing today

First time OCing today

This is a discussion on First time OCing today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Right now I only have an IWB for my P238 but I have an inexpensive slide holster on its way. Today I wore my IWB ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First time OCing today

First time OCing today

Right now I only have an IWB for my P238 but I have an inexpensive slide holster on its way.

Today I wore my IWB holster with my shirt tucked behind it and nobody said anything at Home Depot or King Soopers. It is the first time I have ever done that. I was wearing a black t-shirt, my grips are black, and my pistol is very small so maybe nobody really noticed. I realize this is not the best OC option but I also have my CCP, and when I have an actual OWB holster it will be better and look less like I am being careless.

It was a first. I felt a little "noticeable" but for some reason it didn't make me as uncomfortable as concealing and having my shirt pull up and accidentally show it.
    carracer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Good for you, the first time always seems the hardest.
    carracer, SmokinFool and atctimmy like this.

Great job, theres some good ladies threads here with tons of info my wife has gotten some really good ideas from them. Good luck

It would probably be a lot different with my P229 but my husband is traveling and he stole it.

You'll learn two things, over time: most folks won't notice even if they're right behind you in a queue; and, clothing/gear matters, in terms of going discreet (hiding in plain sight).

Congrats on the first outing! It's not as rough as it seems.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Congrats and stick with it! The more OC users out there, the more desensitized the Colorful State of Colorado and the country will be to handguns in public view. there are still so many people out there that have no idea that OC is an option and performed daily by good Americans.

I am moving to WA in a couple of months. WA is an open carry state that does not recognize CO permits, so OC is my only good option until I've lived there 90 days and can get my CCW. I kind of wanted to see what it was like first.
    I kind of liked it.

Visual deterrent and ease of access, at the same time as desensitizing "ornery America" to the belief only bad guy's have guns, is a WIN, WIN...WIN IMO. :)

Quote Originally Posted by firecrackerktm View Post
    I am moving to WA in a couple of months. WA is an open carry state that does not recognize CO permits, so OC is my only good option until I've lived there 90 days and can get my CCW. I kind of wanted to see what it was like first.
    I kind of liked it.
    We need more Open carriers here in Washington! I would strongly recommend though that you don't use an IWB holster for Open carry here. It is a legal grey area in this state, whereas other states like Virginia it's acceptable. The general rule here is that it needs to be in an exposed holster. An officer could make the argument that you were trying to conceal and/or that's its not fully exposed constituting "concealment" because it's an IWB holster. Don't know how that argument would hold up in court but wouldn't want to test it out. What part of WA will you be moving too?

edit : A lvl 2 retention holster like a blackhawk serpa imho is a must.
    Last edited by StardogChampion; April 1st, 2013 at 05:23 AM.

Glad to hear it went well for you

OP, I would HIGHLY recommend that you visit the Washington forum of OpenCarry.org | ?A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost? for some real information on open carry in our state.
    carracer likes this.

If you look around on various open carry websites a lot of them say "exposed holster" (http://www.washingtongunrights.com/) is the definition of open carry in WA. I cannot find any legal decisions or legal law that defines open carry in the state of Washington. If you are going to be open carrying you should be prudent in the manner you carry based upon the uncertainty of the law pertaining your carry method. Open carrying in an EXPOSED holster (OWB) is 100% legal, but is IWB? That's a grey area. Also if you carry "openly" IWB you run the risk of your shirt/jacket from bending over and/or reaching to high places going over your gun and concealing it. I have been open carrying for awhile and this does happen with my jackets if I reach too high for something in a grocery store or at home......so there are practical reasons as well IWB is not the best method for open carry.

I'm moving to Spokane (and I have lived here before actually) so the east side is a little more relaxed, as I remember.

My understanding has been that while it is legal to open carry in most of Colorado, open carry in Denver, boulder, and Breckinridge is not legal. I'm assuming your in Denver by what your location says...

If I recall correctly....Denver actually tried to ban both open carry and concealed carry. The courts allowed the ban on open carry to stay but struck down the ban on concealed carry and said they must allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawah View Post
    My understanding has been that while it is legal to open carry in most of Colorado, open carry in Denver, boulder, and Breckinridge is not legal. I'm assuming your in Denver by what your location says...

If I recall correctly....Denver actually tried to ban both open carry and concealed carry. The courts allowed the ban on open carry to stay but struck down the ban on concealed carry and said they must allow it.
    I'm not in Denver itself. I live in a suburb in Jefferson county. I rarely go to Denver since I work and go to school in the west side of the metro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links