First time OC

First time OC

This is a discussion on First time OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about it for some time and decided that today would be the day. I actually started to earlier in the day, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By oldman45

Thread: First time OC

First time OC

I have been thinking about it for some time and decided that today would be the day. I actually started to earlier in the day, but Home Depot was very crowded and I looked a bit disheveled from working in the yard. Last thing I need is to look like a ne'er-do-well while running around town with a gun. Ended up going back to Home Depot with the wife and littlest one (a very cute 3 year old girl) to soften my image somewhat. At least for my first time. It's funny, but everyone was super friendly and I think that is the best customer service I have ever gotten in a store. Never noticed any funny looks.

We hit Sonic after that and I did notice some of other patrons seemed to have a difficult time wondering how they should react. Still, no one gave me a hard time. I sort of expected it to be more nerve wracking. I am glad that it was not.

Of note, one of the guys working at Home Depot struck up a conversation with me while we waited for the forklift to get something down. He asked about the process for getting a permit. I gave him all the particulars, but I also let him know that carrying openly the way I was did not require a permit at all. Just that you had to be diligent with paying attention to where you are and the fact that you should probably have a holster with secondary retention.

All in all, a good experience. It's good since I have no desire to make life hard with concealed carry in the summer.

Congrats! What part of Va are you in? I understand that views can vary a lot between region.

The first time is the hardest. It becomes a non-event very quickly.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I have openly carried many, many times over the years. It never draws much attention and it should not. The fact is the person carrying is more aware of them carrying than are others around him. Do it often enough and you will find people are curious about what type and caliber you are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmoliv66 View Post
    Congrats! What part of Va are you in? I understand that views can vary a lot between region.
    I live in Spotsylvania, the last county before northern VA. To be honest, there seems to be a disconnect between the politics of northern VA and the people. Guns and carrying are still pretty popular in my experience.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Glad to see that everything went well for you.

Congrats on your first experience. So you OC'd and nothing happened. Not surprised. The horror stories you hear about OC'ers being hauled off to jail or harassed are grossly exaggerated. Enjoy the freedom your new-found option gives you.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Congrats on your first experience. So you OC'd and nothing happened. Not surprised. The horror stories you hear about OC'ers being hauled off to jail or harassed are grossly exaggerated. Enjoy the freedom your new-found option gives you.
    I am very excited. I don't like the idea of coming up with cc solutions for summer. I like carrying, but I don't want it to define my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by arab1302 View Post
    I am very excited. I don't like the idea of coming up with cc solutions for summer. I like carrying, but I don't want it to define my wardrobe.
    exactly!
    I haven't had any issues yet either.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    You guys are youngsters here. I have been carrying openly for over 45 yrs and my father and his firends carried openly as I was growing up. A long time friend of mine is now about 90 yrs old, still drives and he carries a little Colt snubnose 38 on his sife in a leather holster that is older than I am. If you see the man, he will have his gun on. He told me he did not need to pay for a permit to carry concealed when he can carry openly for free. Hey, because he is old does not mean he does not have wisdom and logic.
    Last edited by oldman45; April 9th, 2013 at 07:17 AM.
    lokalmotive and blake716 like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

As a Home Depot employee myself I'm glad your experience was a positive one while in one of our stores! There's a healthy firearm community in my own store and at least 10% of us have carry permits. Probably more I don't know of. If only they let us carry at work!

Links