OC? Never Thought I Would...Until Now

This is a discussion on OC? Never Thought I Would...Until Now within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, Well, Well. How times have rapidly changed for me. Anyone who looks at some of my prior posts a few months back will see ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: OC? Never Thought I Would...Until Now

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Well, Well, Well. How times have rapidly changed for me.

Anyone who looks at some of my prior posts a few months back will see I stated that I (Choose) not to open carry for various reasons.
    I also never condemned or found fault with those that did.

I am not a OC baiter..not even close.

For the past few weeks I have begun to OC. Wally World, restaurants, several other retail establishments, walking in town.

My reason to start OC is probably two fold.

1) I don't like IWB. (Comfort level) I became comfortable with OWB during the cold of winter. I still carry IWB but only under certain circumstances. (i.e) Large crowds)

2) Probably should have been my number one reason. I am fed up and frustrated with the liberal views on gun control which equates more to 2A rights.
    OC'ing is now my way of saying and visibly educating the public at large..

"I am a American. This is (MY) (RIGHT) to do this. It is legal"

It also may present opportunity to discuss with any who may ask why I am carrying.

So far there have been ZERO incidents with LE.

Now to be fair, I live in a VERY gun friendly state. Not sure if I would do this if I lived in some "other" states.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

So that I have this right??? You are now using OC to make a political statement? If that's the case don't forget your camera...
    Bad Bob and Phaedrus like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I certainly understand and agree with your political views; however remember that the best confrontation is the one you avoid.

OC can deter some incidents, but it can also invite others. Personally, I am not looking for the attention or potential conflict while I am carrying. There are simply too many things that can go wrong.

You have the right and I support you 100%, but be careful that you don't put yourself into a bad situation just to make a statement.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I think open carry is to guns, what blue tooth's are to cell phones.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    I think open carry is to guns, what blue tooth's are to cell phones.

Just my opinion.
    Hmmm, not very enlightening, but I think I get it?

Anyways - you go girlfriend. Carry that thing OC.

Good points for OC, absolutely: increased comfort; increased opportunities to show other citizens lawful carry is no threat; and increased likelihood of engaging and turning an "anti" on the subject of defensive weapons and preparations by citizens. Those things can be harder to achieve, when it's all hidden.

So long as the balance of that with your desire to maintain your security is one that works for you, it sounds like the right choice.
    wrearick and Rock and Glock like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    In the right circumstances (make up your own mind on what those might be) I have no problem with open carry.

However, outside of those circumstances it seems overly and intentiionally provocative. Just my opinion

As the recently deceased Margaret Thatcher commented "If you have to announce to people how important you are, then you probably aren't."

I know it is a stretch for some of you on this forum to adapt that philosophy to OC, but I think most of you take my point.
    WC145 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I know many will say that OC is a double-sided sword. It can deter situations but on the same token it might make you a prime target in others. I agree both are valid points, but I do not agree that they are both equally occurrent. Crimes are typically committed out of opportunity in low-risk (to the BG) situations. Take home burglaries, vehicle break-ins, and even muggings for example. The BG does not want a confrontation, they want easy pickings. Even in muggings, the BG may have a weapon but really does not want to actually use it, it's more a display of power and for coercion. Actually using a weapon, injuring, or even killing someone carries a lot of jail time and increased risk (investigation by PD).

Like it has been said, the best confrontations are the ones you avoid and I believe OC achieves that far better than CC. The Scenarios section of the forum has many stories about simply displaying a gun resolved the threat without shots being fired. While that is a great outcome for both parties, it is the second best result (the best being that it never happened in the first place). In many of those stories (which were CC) I wondered if OC would have deterred the threat from the start.

I think a lot of people need to remember while carrying and SA give you a sense of security, they do not make you invincible. There are situations where the BG could get the drop on you, a malfunction happens, or something else unfortunate. Now if that same BG saw you with a gun on your hip, he very likely would have just picked another target instead and saved both you and himself the trouble.

As for OC as a political statement, I think that is fine. Ultimately, we all carry (OC or CC) for the same reasons and that is self defense. Now if you were out OCing an empty gun/magazine just to be political then I would say that is foolish. I am sure many centuries ago it would not be strange for most of the public to be OCing around while conducting their business. It's a shame that it even has to be considered a political statement to exercise a basic right (and I only mean that generally, not towards anyone here).

I just want to be clear that I support both OC and CC, that's up to the user and regional laws. I just feel like the benefits of OC get dismissed far too easily.

Welcome RightsEroding! You have my support!

I open carry at home now.

My NY in-laws think I'm nuts...
    ToxicDover likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post

They live in NY and think you're nuts
    OldVet, OD*, mano3 and 4 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    ^^ Words right from my heart!
    mano3 and TX expat like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post

I can't argue that fact.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    OC can deter some incidents, but it can also invite others.
    I hear this argument constantly from the CC crowd. Can anyone point me to a news story where an OC'er was attacked because they were open carrying their pistol? ANY links to an OC'er being randomly disarmed and shot with their own weapon, just because the gun was showing?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    I hear this argument constantly from the CC crowd. Can anyone point me to a news story where an OC'er was attacked because they were open carrying their pistol? ANY links to an OC'er being randomly disarmed and shot with their own weapon, just because the gun was showing?

Just curious.
    yep, and then there's the one about the "shoot me first" vest
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links