Out-of-state open carry

This is a discussion on Out-of-state open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that I might be able to find out by surfing the net but it would take forever to run down all the leads ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Out-of-state open carry

Out-of-state open carry

I know that I might be able to find out by surfing the net but it would take forever to run down all the leads & states. I have had a CCHL for nearly seven years & although Arkansas doesn't have an open carry yet, I will soon be traveling thru some states that do. My question is; When I am in those states am I able to open carry or am I limited to conceal carry? Any assistance is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Every state's different in how they handle carrying openly, having weapons in vehicles, etc. Check them all in detail, before you go.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That would depend entirely on the laws of the states you travel through. Most state laws are not written based on "residents only" but each state is different. So by not mentioning any specific states you have in mind, I doubt you'll get a useful answer.
    Tzadik likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Welcome aboard! Please do the research. It varies from state to state, county by county, and city to city. For example, in Oregon, it is legal to open carry by state law. Some cities like Portland allow open carry only if you have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. The county surrounding Portland is looking at making their law the same as Portland. Some cities outlaw open carry in a public park unless you have the Concealed Handgun License. Oregon does not recognize Arkansas permits. I would advise you against concealed or open carry in Oregon or any other state before doing full research. You could be in jail and a convicted felon in a heartbeat. Google state gun laws.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    For example, in Oregon, it is legal to open carry by state law. Some cities like Portland allow open carry only if you have an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. The county surrounding Portland is looking at making their law the same as Portland. Some cities outlaw open carry in a public park unless you have the Concealed Handgun License.
    And that, my friends, is all the justification needed for state preemption of all gun laws.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Suggestion: head over to OpenCarry.org and review each of the states in question that you're looking to visit. As others have suggested, there are lots of variations, inapplicability of the state preemption statutes to OC, and other little catches that could get you into a lot of hot water.
    Takeem406 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links