Can't post no hand gun signs

This is a discussion on Can't post no hand gun signs within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stores that are open to the public can not post signs that prohibit you from open carring in their store provided you live in a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Can't post no hand gun signs

Stores that are open to the public can not post signs that prohibit you from open carring in their store provided you live in a open carry state. The civil rights movement of the sixties gave minorities the right to go into any store open to the public it would be the same thing as if they posted a whites only sign can't do it. The same US Constituation gives you the right to open cary into public stores.

Tell you what - you go ahead and open carry in all the stores you can find that have a "no guns" sign and then get back to us and let us know how it works out for you.

Time to educate yourself. Start here: Handgunlaw.us
    Tzadik, Hopyard, mprp and 7 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Tell you what - you go ahead and open carry in all the stores you can find that have a "no guns" sign and then get back to us and let us know how it works out for you.
    You are aware that all inmate mail and phone calls are subject to inspection and audio recording, correct?

You have a point...... However this is not the America of yesteryear...... We now live in.......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Here is my take on the open to the public stores etc that put up no gun signs where oc or cc is legal.
    There are two equally strong sets of rights opposing each other.

I have the right to carry and defend myself legally.

The store owner tons will argue even though he is open to the public in general and cannot deny entry to dozens of types of folks based on half a dozen reasons does have the right to say I must leave my means of defending myself outside if I choose to go in their store.

This is just my two cents. The store must by law have fire escape routes and other safety precautions in place to be able to be open to the public for business. Its my own personal belief that if a business insists I be defenseless to enter their property then they have taken the responsibility of defending myself and my family against attack upon themselves.
    By doing so I think they should be required by law to have armed security in place in great enough numbers to at least provide the level of defense for me that I could provide for myself if I am armed. The same as health regulations, fire codes, building codes which all at their base are aimed at safety of their patrons.

They should not be able to have it both ways. Either they ensure their patrons safety against attack in that manner or they allow those who will be responsible for their own defense to do so. Signs here carry no force of law anyway so no biggie to me and its no biggie to me to ignore those signs for the above stated reason. Asked to leave I will. Which is the law here.
    JMO worth what you paid for it.

And yeah they can put up the signs in response to the OPs post.
    Aceoky and Oldpsufan like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Stores are private property. If they post a "no guns" sign on their premises, they are perfectly within their rights (as private property owners) to do so. If you disobey the sign, you are guilty of trespass. You will get yourself arrested and you will lose your carry permit.

Instead of leading with your chin, why not just shop at places that don't mind that you are armed, or carry concealed. It doesn't help any of us if gun owners go out looking for a confrontation. I'm not interested in spending any of my money in a place that doesn't welcome me anyway.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Actually disobeying the sign itself does make you guilty of trespass. You could only be found guilty of trespassing if you did not leave the premises after being directly informed to leave by the owner of the property, a representative of his, or a LEO upon their request. The sign they put up in and of itself does not have the force of law behind it.
    carracer and Alex_C like this.

Actually Im guilty of nothing in my state until I am asked to leave. Since I cc all the time nobody knows and Ive never been asked that. At the point I would be asked to leave I am still quilty in my state of nothing unless I refuse to leave. I would never refuse to leave if asked and therefore will be guilty of nothing even then.

Even if I were to refuse to leave I would be subject to a 25 dollar fine, no revocation of my permit and no arrest.
    So I wont be harming the rest of you in any case. I wont be breaking any laws in my state.

I dont go in most places with a sign few have them here anyway. But one or two places I do have to go or drive 50 miles to get what they sell that have a sign. They are more likely to robbed while im there than the place catch fire yet they are required to deal with that possibility to be allowed to be open to the public. They can either provide for my and my families protection or I will. Its the premise of their customers safety any way you slice it.
    USM1976, drbald1, Aceoky and 2 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

IF you go into one of these "posted" places, ccing, an armed robber comes in, you pull your gun on him, what's the store owner going to do, ask you to leave? LOL.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    depending on the state. if it is on private land it is in their legal right to post to sign, but in most states all they can do is ask you to leave. if you refuse to leave they will can then press charges. the only true "gun free" zones, in most states, are those with metal detectors in the door.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukemagicman View Post
    Stores that are open to the public can not post signs that prohibit you from open carring in their store provided you live in a open carry state. The civil rights movement of the sixties gave minorities the right to go into any store open to the public it would be the same thing as if they posted a whites only sign can't do it. The same US Constituation gives you the right to open cary into public stores.
    Gun owners are not a protected class and not allowing open carrying in a store is not the same as discriminatory practices based on race.

If you are open carrying, you can take off your gun. If you are black, you can't take off your skin. Make sense?
    pittypat21, MJB_17, Ogre and 8 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I hope you have a lawyer on retainer,with your interpretation of the law your gonna need one
    MJB_17, SmokinFool and USM1976 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukemagicman View Post
    I'm not so sure the judge you'll be standing before is going to agree with you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links