N.D. Vehicle Carry

This is a discussion on N.D. Vehicle Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going out to No Dak tomorrow for work. I prefer to open carry on road trips. Usually one on OWB then another holstered, between the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: N.D. Vehicle Carry

N.D. Vehicle Carry

Going out to No Dak tomorrow for work.
    I prefer to open carry on road trips. Usually one on OWB then another holstered, between the seats.

I looked up No Dak laws via handgunlaw.us and I guess you can't open carry in a vehicle??? This right? What about a vehicle gun?

I can cover my OWB gun and cover my car gun that's between the seat...

I'll probably just have to go concealed once I hit Glendive, but I hate sitting on my IWB holster on long road trips.

In God and Glock we Trust

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Takeem406 View Post
    Going out to No Dak tomorrow for work.
    I prefer to open carry on road trips. Usually one on OWB then another holstered, between the seats.

I looked up No Dak laws via handgunlaw.us and I guess you can't open carry in a vehicle??? This right? What about a vehicle gun?

I can cover my OWB gun and cover my car gun that's between the seat...

I'll probably just have to go concealed once I hit Glendive, but I hate sitting on my IWB holster on long road trips.

Yes, that's right. I guess if you have reciprocity with whatever state you're coming from, you'll just have to cover it up with a coat or like you said, in between the seats.

And be careful out there, a real mess out west.

I'm from MT. I work for the railroad so I'll be there for a while. Plan on just hanging in my hotel room as much as possible. No bars or partying.

I've heard stories. Montana did a human trafficing law this spring due to prostitution in the oil fields.

Definitely carrying an additional spare magazine and watch my self!

That's why I like Montana, doesn't matter what kind of gun or where your at, you can have it loaded, in reach and visible.

bigsky109 likes this.

I just conceal, never been an OC advocate. ND is very carry friendly. From what I hear Williston is quite the zoo these days.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I just conceal, never been an OC advocate. ND is very carry friendly. From what I hear Williston is quite the zoo these days.
    I'll have to get back to ND one day to check it out. I grew up there, right on the Canadian border. The nearest town was six miles away and it had a population of 315.

Things were loose by today's standards. I bought my .22's (with my dad) at a hardware store, but I could buy ammo when I was 13. I had my driver's license at 14. Sometimes me and my buddies would grab out .22's, pile into the car and go "gopher hunting."

My how things have changed.

Sorry for the tangent, OP. Any mention of ND just brings back memories.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I'll have to get back to ND one day to check it out. I grew up there, right on the Canadian border. The nearest town was six miles away and it had a population of 315.
    There are about 100 of those towns.... Some out west are like ghost towns now.

I too was born and raised in ND. I got my CCW in 1994 after the "It's a crime, Bill" passed and a CCW permit got around the waiting period. IIRC, you aren't allowed to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle unless you had a CCW permit. Since I did, I kept my AR-15 in the rifle rack in the truck and never had any problems. The exception to this was during hunting season while you were actively engaged in hunting then you had to keep them unloaded. After several years of bouncing around from one duty station to the next in Florida and North Carolina, things might have changed so don't take my word as gospel on that.
    What I do remember though was the CCW test was pretty much a joke. 1 hour to take a 10 question multiple guess test (open book of course) with questions like, "When are you NOT authorized to use deadly force? 'A. Self defense, B. Defense of others, C. To prevent the theft of a tank of gas'" Yup, don't need to be a rocket surgeon or a brain scientist to figure this one out! The shooting portion was just as simple with a test of firing 10 rounds in 5 minutes at an FBI B-27 human silhouette target at 21 feet needing to get 7 out of 10 rounds somewhere on the black. I did mine with an 1860 Army cap and ball revolver just for the challenge of it all. LOL I asked the deputy that was giving us the test just what really was the point to having a test this simple and he said it was mainly to run a background check on the student and make sure they weren't a danger to themselves.

I transferred up here from El Paso, Tx..... Now that I am retired it is time to move somewhere warmer.....

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I'll have to get back to ND one day to check it out. I grew up there, right on the Canadian border. The nearest town was six miles away and it had a population of 315. My how things have changed.

Sorry for the tangent, OP. Any mention of ND just brings back memories.
    I also was born and raised in Northern North Dakota. Grew up on a farm and was never very far away from a firearm. Everyone had rifles and shotguns in our pickups, homes, barns, shops......pretty much everywhere. I go back a couple of times a year, mostly for hunting.

North Dakota is definitely a "gun friendly state" but some of their CCW and Open Carry laws could be better. I live in Utah now and you couldn't ask for better gun laws.

I'm starting a criminal defense job there this summer. One visit to Williston was what spurred me to finally get a permit. There were two murders that week, one outside the strip club, the other in a man camp.

VIP Member
    I transferred up here from El Paso, Tx..... Now that I am retired it is time to move somewhere warmer.....
    40Bob, I can tell you that after a number of years down here in the south the cold is officially out of my bones. Some mornings when the Georgia winter is "really cold" (i.e., in the 20's) I swear, shiver and shake. It's pathetic, I tell you, pathetic.

Growing up in ND it wasn't "cold" unless there as a minus sign in front of the temperature (Fahrenheit, that is, not that warm -1 Celsius crap).
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOThompson View Post
    I'm starting a criminal defense job there this summer. One visit to Williston was what spurred me to finally get a permit. There were two murders that week, one outside the strip club, the other in a man camp.
    You will be very busy in that line of work. I attended College in Williston in the early '80's, it was truely the old "roll up the sidewalks at 10 pm". Very quiet and practically zero crime. I was up there last year and didn't recognize 90% of the area. People said it was rough and wild but that was an understatement! It is well beyond "nuts". Stay armed.....stay safe.

Yeah, I hear that crime has nearly doubled since this boom. There's a huge demand for lawyers. The court system is just backed up with cases. Should be fun, but I am a little concerned about the safety situation. I'm definitely going to take out a renter's insurance policy for my guns and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by JOThompson View Post
    Yeah, I hear that crime has nearly doubled since this boom. There's a huge demand for lawyers. The court system is just backed up with cases. Should be fun, but I am a little concerned about the safety situation. I'm definitely going to take out a renter's insurance policy for my guns and gear.
    I don't know what area you are coming from but get ready for 100+ degrees and tons of mosquitos in the summer and -40 degrees with -100 degree wind chills in the Winter. I kid you....NOT!

I grew up in Oregon but live in Iowa right now. Not my favorite place, it's pretty muggy now and cold in the winters. When I visited ND in March, it was as low as zero degrees. I'll just have to get used to it :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links