Man Legally OCs at a School, No One Freaks Out...

This is a discussion on Man Legally OCs at a School, No One Freaks Out... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Michigan Dad Decides to Open Carry .45-Cal. Handgun at His Daughter?s School to Make a Point: ?Notice the Lack of Pandemonium From the Gun? | ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Man Legally OCs at a School, No One Freaks Out...

Man Legally OCs at a School, No One Freaks Out...

"My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Don't try that in Ohio - you would have a different outcome.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Don't try that in Ohio - you would have a different outcome.
    In Georgia too.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

It wouldn't work well in Florida either.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Against the law here too.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I suppose some are more willing to push the envelope than others.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's interesting because school's are gun free zones in Michigan. At least they are for CPL, maybe not so for OC. ????

It's an irresponsible act that proves nothing.
    Chevy-SS and USM1976 like this.

If the reporting of a venture after has taken place can be summarized by "well, he didn't get arrested", that's usually a sign that it was not a good idea in the first place.
    bigmacque likes this.

good on him for excercising his right to bear arms, wish all states were like this.

“Decided to exercise my rights to carry a gun. In a school. As many of you know, federal law prohibits civilians (me) from carrying a gun near a school unless licensed by their state. As a CPL holder I am licensed,” the man wrote in the YouTube video description. “I want to exercise my rights, but not endanger myself or the rights of others while doing it.”
    Either I am not as well-informed about firearm laws as I thought I was, or he is completely wrong. That statement really took me by surprise.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

he did good, not only did his gun not kill children, he made that school MUCH SAFER by being there in the first place. one might even say that a violent man was just about to enter that school with two pistols, and a semi-auto rifle intent on killing everyone inside to get his name in headlines, but upon seeing this man carrying a gun, decided that maybe others in there might have guns as well and that should he enter and start shooting, he would have a lethal dose of lead poisening before he could actually kill anyone, so he decided the prudant course of action would be to promptly go home and seek out medical help.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    he did good, not only did his gun not kill children, he made that school MUCH SAFER by being there in the first place. one might even say that a violent man was just about to enter that school with two pistols, and a semi-auto rifle intent on killing everyone inside to get his name in headlines, but upon seeing this man carrying a gun, decided that maybe others in there might have guns as well and that should he enter and start shooting, he would have a lethal dose of lead poisening before he could actually kill anyone, so he decided the prudant course of action would be to promptly go home and seek out medical help.
    That is a nice idea / hero fantasy but the corollary hypothetical scenario is that the armed citizen pees his pants in the face of a real threat, in this case a heavily armed and determined assailant who is mentally ill and doesn't care one bit whether he lives or dies and he ends up among the casualty count. Or, he is able to try and stop the assailant and is shot and killed as a result of being severely outgunned. Take the Tyler Courthouse shooting incident, a man armed with a 1911 engaged the assailant who had an AK and body armor, the assailant shot and killed him in the street after a brief exchange.

I'm all for armed school security, but I want it uniformed, trained and competent. That means LE or possibly certified armed security, not Billy Bob or Jimmy Wayne with his 45. Plano ISD is currently in the process of acquire exactly such trained professionals.
    Str8upguy and Grantspastor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Either I am not as well-informed about firearm laws as I thought I was, or he is completely wrong. That statement really took me by surprise.
    In Michigan, it is legal to OC in a gun-free zone, as long as you have a CPL; it is illegal to CC in them, though, even with a CPL.
    Alex_C and oneshot like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    That is a nice idea / hero fantasy but the corollary hypothetical scenario is that the armed citizen pees his pants in the face of a real threat, in this case a heavily armed and determined assailant who is mentally ill and doesn't care one bit whether he lives or dies and he ends up among the casualty count. Or, he is able to try and stop the assailant and is shot and killed as a result of being severely outgunned. Take the Tyler Courthouse shooting incident, a man armed with a 1911 engaged the assailant who had an AK and body armor, the assailant shot and killed him in the street after a brief exchange.

I'm all for armed school security, but I want it uniformed, trained and competent. That means LE or possibly certified armed security, not Billy Bob or Jimmy Wayne with his 45. Plano ISD is currently in the process of acquire exactly such trained professionals.
    That is a nice idea, but Billy Bob generally does a better job of not shooting the wrong guy (2% for citizens, 11% for police). Sometimes Billy Bob ain't so bad...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links