Unusual behavior

This is a discussion on Unusual behavior within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The wife and I decided to swing by the local landfill drop off point on our way to get her car from the shop. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Unusual behavior

Unusual behavior

The wife and I decided to swing by the local landfill drop off point on our way to get her car from the shop. I had CC'd earlier when we dropped the car off. I decided to OC this time since it had warmed up and I didn't feel like taking one of my smaller carry guns.

So, this drop off point is just a series of large compactors that you drive up to. As I parked and got out, there was a guy already there sweeping out the bed of his truck and shoveling the debris into the compactor. As I came around my truck to undo a strap, he stopped. I figured it was because the operator was running the compactor even though that is not a reason to stop. It took a few minutes as I was unloading trash to realize the guy was still standing in the bed of his truck. I looked over at him and he jerked his head away since he had been looking. It dawned on me that the guy was scared.

Mind you, this guy was bigger than me and in relatively good shape. I even said hey as I looked up just before driving off. He stood there like a statue until we drove away.
    perfection likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Maybe he just pee'd and thought you saw him?
    deafdave3, mkh, archer51 and 1 others like this.
    GOA Member
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I feel like people should be able to OC,if it's something they want to do.That said,i wouldn't, for reasons like the man.I don't want the attention,it may bring.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    People think my behavior is unusual, but I'm like this all the time, so it's perfectly normal.
    carracer, Darrow75 and Brad426 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Mandpgrl View Post
    I feel like people should be able to OC,if it's something they want to do.That said,i wouldn't, for reasons like the man.I don't want the attention,it may bring.
    I agree. I rather like OC since I don't have to worry about printing. I also don't like having to fuss over my wardrobe to hide a gun.

This is the first time I have seen any reaction at all. Most people either don't notice or pretend not to notice.

Mind you, this guy was bigger than me and in relatively good shape. I even said hey as I looked up just before driving off. He stood there like a statue until we drove away.
    He's heard about guys like you. You're probably one of those NRA crazies running around with a fully automatic gun that you got on the internet without a background check, probably looking to shoot up the County Landfill.
    Brad426, squid86 and jrclen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    He's heard about guys like you. You're probably one of those NRA crazies running around with a fully automatic gun that you got on the internet without a background check, probably looking to shoot up the County Landfill.
    Frankly, that is how it felt. Like he was waiting for me to go crazy or something. Of course, if he felt that way, freezing in place is not likely the best course of action.

VIP Member
    Probably not familiar with guns or laws regarding oc. You also don't know his history.

I would not characterize his actions as being unusual, just cautious.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    Maybe he just moved from the "Big City" and was all skeerd and whatnot cause he never thought he'd see a real, actual gun and you educated him.

Or he just killed someone and he was dumping the body and you "really really" caught him off guard.

Or maybe you had some toilet paper stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

Nah, I'm going with he just killed someone and you caught him off guard.
    lionround likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    What he said. Of course, he forgot the part where the guy cut up the corpse into little pieces and put them into bags. We need to get the story straight.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Not sure what part of VA your located in, but here in the Richmond area, I've never had anyone react to me OC'ing. Of course I'm 60+ so that may have something to do with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by arab1302 View Post
    Frankly, that is how it felt. Like he was waiting for me to go crazy or something. Of course, if he felt that way, freezing in place is not likely the best course of action.
    Ya it just makes it easier to hit your target. LOL

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Maybe he just pee'd and thought you saw him?
    That would be my guess.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Maybe he just moved from the "Big City" and was all skeerd and whatnot cause he never thought he'd see a real, actual gun and you educated him.

Or he just killed someone and he was dumping the body and you "really really" caught him off guard.

Or maybe you had some toilet paper stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

He could have had gas and didn't want to be offensive.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    He saw the gun and thought you of a threat like a t-rex. So he froze. He thought your vision was like a t-rex too.

But seriously, I guess he had never seen anyone OC and didn't know how to react to it.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links