Defensive Carry banner

Today at the park

3K views 36 replies 30 participants last post by  blake716 
#1 ·
I took my daughter to the ball park today so she could play at the playground with her friends.
A guy walks up with his children, OCing a full size 1911 in a sherpa. As he played with his daughter,
pushing her on the swing and catching her as she'd come down the slide, I sat back and watched everyone else to see their reaction.
What I saw was.....nothing. Not a single reaction. No one grabbed their kids and took off running. No one made any snide comments.
No one gave any ugly looks. Some of the other parents were speaking with the guy like we wasn't carrying at all.
In fact, the only person that said anything about it was my daughter, "Daddy, what kind of gun is that? Is it a Glock?"
I just laughed and said "No baby, it's a 1911." (I have a Glock, so that's all she knows. Oh, and she knows AR-15's and AK's too)
I see OC pretty often in Louisiana, but mostly just walking by someone in a store or on the street.
This just made me think of some of the stories I read on some of these forums around the interwebz about anti-gunnners in different parts of the country.
It reminded me of how much I love living in a gun friendly state.
I've complained about and wanted to move away from Louisiana for other reasons (mostly heat and humidity:85:), but this made me feel good about where I live.

Oh, and as a side note. No BG's ran up and snatched the guys gun. :smile:

See less See more
#2 ·
Remember you are in Louisiana a very friendly gun state, I would think that the reaction you saw would be almost common. I live in Tennessee and folks come into my retail work place all the time carrying and nothing is ever said. Now if you were in a liberal state somebody would say something I would bet.

#5 ·
No MWAG calls, no women and children running, screaming for their lives, and no BG snatching the gun?

LIAR!

Everything on the internet says it has to happen.

#13 ·
There is a reverse side to the OC makes you a target in a crowd thinking and Im not a regular OC guy just try to cover all the bases. If I were in a gun friendly enough place to see one guy ocing in a park with other folks around Id probably be wondering just how many CCers there were lurking about to put a hole in my head before I could deal with the OC guy or just after. Which would probably convince me to head for greener less lethal looking pastures:blink:

#24 ·
There were about 20 adults there around the playground with their kids. Other than the guy OCing, I know for a fact that 2 other parents were CCing, because I know the people.

I was wonder if there were any of the others CCing that I didn't know about....

#14 ·
I started OCing last summer and now that the weather is starting to warm up a bit I'll start OCing again. Not all the time, but when to mood strikes me. I haven't had any bad interactions from it so far. Of course I do live in a pretty good state (except for Manchin and Rockefeller, both of whom will be out of office after their current terms if I have anything to say about it).

Edit: Let's not turn this into an OC vs CC thread. There are advantages/disadvantages to both. Carry however you wish, as long as it's legal.

#15 ·
In fact, the only person that said anything about it was my daughter, "Daddy, what kind of gun is that? Is it a Glock?"

I just laughed and said "No baby, it's a 1911."
That'd make me smile, too.

Gotta love gun-friendly states and communities where folks have their heads screwed on straight, and where children are raised right. :yup:

#16 ·
I live in Virginia and was talking with my brother in Ohio about open carry. He says, sure it's legal but you will get arrested for inciting a panic. My response , of course was uh, no. He says so you see people walking around oc'ing? I said sure. He was shocked. When we talked more about the differences, he couldn't believe and had to google Va gun laws. My favorite part was when he said "oh wow, YOU ARE RIGHT"

#17 ·
It seems so strange to me that because i live in Maryland we are punished.............. And if you live in another state that is gun friendly you have your Freedom , We are one nation and we should live under one set of LAWS for the USA. This would work in so many ways. Enjoy the freedoms you enjoy in LA.

#20 ·
I often think about how an invisible line can make such a difference. On one side doing something is considered normal and if you step across the line you could be a felon and in prison for doing exactly the same thing. Unfortunately if the laws were the same throughout the USA, we might not like the results because the least free areas often have the highest population numbers.

Reactions: msgt/ret
#18 ·
You definitely need to up your SA. You missed all the BG's that were just waiting for the right moment to grab his gun and shoot him with it!

#22 ·
I'm glad to hear a story like that! I live in your neighboring state of Texas and while I am most very happy with their gun laws and such, I did come from Arizona where I lived for 29 years. Anyway, I do wish Texas would allow open carry.

Maybe someday.

#25 ·
I bought my first KTM in 2001 and haven't owned anything that wasn't orange since then.

The one in the pic is my bullet proof 07 525. It's the only one that I have right now. I'm eyeballing a new 500 though.

Bikes and guns....The wife says I need cheaper hobbies. :rolleyes:

#29 ·
Similar occurrence at our local Lowes, man was OC and there were no one fainting, no kids shrieking (any more than usual), no one running from the store in a total panic and the police were not called. Total non-event as it should have been.

#31 ·
As Somkinfool stated, its getting warm outside and I am now OCing more because its more comfortable. No problems. No kids running, no LEO's slamming me against the sidewalk.

Maybe its because its a 442?... ;)

#32 ·
Great story! Nice to hear some of this in the face of all the gun-grabber rants all over the news. As far as the heat and humidity down there...you need to be up here in Northern Indiana around mid January. The older I get the more I don't like the cold and would rather sweat.:smile:

#33 ·
When I was stationed in Nevada you'd see open carry all the time and nobody cared. Its only the liberals that think that the gun is gonna unholster and shoot someone on its own. If someone was freaking out about it I would walked up to the OC guy and say loudly thank you for making this a safer place, lol.

#36 ·
Later , she's going to be saying .... "Daddy will you buy me that Kimber" .... and you know what you'll do, buy it for her. Don't ask me how I know that. Daughters can be expensive.... of course their holster has to match their shoes and their purse, even if it won't ever be seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.