People See An Open Carry and They Treat You Like A Leper

This is a discussion on People See An Open Carry and They Treat You Like A Leper within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So back in 2011/2012 the laws changed stating that Open and Concealed Carry where authorized in National Forests and Parks. Living in 29 Palms we ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: People See An Open Carry and They Treat You Like A Leper

So back in 2011/2012 the laws changed stating that Open and Concealed Carry where authorized in National Forests and Parks. Living in 29 Palms we have Joshua Tree just up the road and I always open carry whenever we go out there (Hi Desert has a lot of speed freaks/the wild life). I personally see nothing wrong with it but man, everyone else sure does seem too.

I've had about a 12 y/o point my gun out to his mother as I walked by, at which point she snatched him up and told him to stay far away from me. Had folks try and tell me I wasn't authorized to carry and that they were calling the FBI (really...? the FBI...???) so I offered to call them myself.

For those of you who OC, do people freak out when they see you? Is it normal? Gets to the point to where I feel sad for most folks...

-Kyle
    ccw9mm likes this.

2. Remove Ads

You are in Ca. ya know.
    OD*, gasmitty, CIBMike and 6 others like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    No, no they dont. But thank God this isn't California.
    carracer and gtfoxy like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Your in Cali and tree hugging anti gun hippies usually frequent National parks and Forests,so your gonna meet the most anti gun crowd in those areas,until you get to States where it's normal
    GSDSchutzhund and carracer like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

People are afraid of what they don't understand.

People get spoon-fed leftist, fear-mongering drivel all day long in the "major" media, so they believe anyone armed is to be feared.

What such people forget is that we're free people in our own homes and lands, defending against predation. THAT should be something to revel in, that we're capable of such responsibility and duty to ourselves, our families and our liberty. Some won't ever get that.

Still, the more people see a thing and get informed it's right and just and lawful, the more they'll accept it. One would think in the wilds of California, away from the leftist cities, they'd have long since come to grips with the simple fact that an armed citizen doesn't equate to red-eyed, foaming-at-the-mouth terrorist. But then, it's CA. BTDT, myself.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In most parts of Colorado you'd be fine. Denver, you'd be in the slammer, Breckenridge too. Having said that, we do have a problem with Damnorats, but we'll fix that in 2014.

Northern NH you would be fine except for tourist from MA, NY , or worse of all...Conn! Southern NH is a crap shoot.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The only time the mothers grab up their kids and scold them around here is if they get too close to someone carrying a High Point 9 in an Uncle Mikes holster.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    The only time the mothers grab up their kids and scold them around here is if they get too close to someone carrying a High Point 9 in an Uncle Mikes holster.
    The only time I really pick someone up and scold them is if they're carrying anything in an Uncle Mike's holster.

But then, I live in a place where machine guns are fairly commonplace. Gotta love a free state.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't open carry a lot, but when I have, I've never had a problem. Most of the time, I'm wearing an OWB holster with a cover garment of some sort. It's not really concealed carry, it's more discrete carry. The gun doesn't just jump out at you. But, if it prints or shows a bit, so be it.
    boutaswell likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    You are in Ca. ya know.

^^ This ^^ straight up answers the question. Im so glad I no longer live in Ca.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    In most parts of Colorado you'd be fine. Denver, you'd be in the slammer, Breckenridge too. Having said that, we do have a problem with Damnorats, but we'll fix that in 2014.
    You better. If I can't put CO back on the vacation list I'm gonna have to kick someone's Maggie...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I think that sometimes people dont understand, that unlike the people here on this forum, when you are among the general public, you are in a minority as far as gun enthusiasm. While you may feel sorry for them, they feel sorry for someone they perceive as so scared that they must carry a gun everywhere they go.

Its all about perception. Two sides to everything.
    Hodad and Str8upguy like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Simple answer ..... no. But there a couple of places if I went there, I'm sure they would .... more liberal than everywhere else in our state.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Now you want people to treat you a certain way? Good luck with that. In case you missed it, a bizillion people are against guns, it's been in all the papers. So you carry one in plain sight and are surprised by people avoiding you? You want to make a statement with open carry, fine, but if nobody noticed there would be no statement to be made, would there? Well you got plenty of folks noticing, so don't complain about how they notice, at least your statement is being made. If you don't like the attention you're getting, conceal carry.
    maxwell97, ginzo and TJDN like this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links