I miss OC'ing! NH=good...TX=bad; Just some thoughts

This is a discussion on I miss OC'ing! NH=good...TX=bad; Just some thoughts within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I actually miss OC'ing. I probably OC'ed 70 percent of the time and CC'ed 30%. No firm data on that LOL....Just a swag. I lived ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By suntzu
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: I miss OC'ing! NH=good...TX=bad; Just some thoughts

I miss OC'ing! NH=good...TX=bad; Just some thoughts

I actually miss OC'ing. I probably OC'ed 70 percent of the time and CC'ed 30%. No firm data on that LOL....Just a swag. I lived on my own land and the towns were receptive to OC'ing. At least they got use to seeing me, Mrs. SunTzu, and a few others that OC'ed regurlaly. Folks trusted each other and very seldom did anyone look crosseyed at ya when they saw a .44 Mag hanging from a holster.

Of course there was the one lady who was a transplant from MA who called the police on me. Good interaction. Did not ask for an ID though they had never seen me before. (We had just moved there after I retired from the army). And of course a few tourist would look at ya sorta strange, not quite the leper look but noticable. But after a few days of seeing them in town they would actually say hello back to ya. Maybe they were getting use to seeing folks with evil weapons. Who knows?

One time I was hiking with my Old English Sheepdog. We came upon a Mom and two kids. The mom at first seemed shocked when one of her kids said "mommy, he got a gun!". I can't remember if it was the older or younger one, about 8 and 6 I beleive. They wanted to pet my dog, and at first I could see the hesitation in the ladies eyes. But then she smiled and said something to the effect "well, you have a cute dog". I guess implying that my dog made me reputable and not dangerous LOL

Kids petted the dog and lady and I exchanged chit chat. She never mentioned the gun but I did notice she kept looking at it. Did she get over fear of the gun during that short encounter? I highly doubt it. But she knows that not all folks walking a dog with a gun are lunatics.

I think I will go check on my land next week. Spend a few days hiking and shooting trap with some old timers. Maybe get a MAWG call in from the lady from MA LOL.....

Guys, we are all 2A proponets. Let us just support each other.
    Badey, carracer and joker1 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

I dont....

You might be able to OC in Texas in the next couple of years. It seems like they are making baby steps toward it. In the mean time, enjoy OCing in NH for a few days.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    CC'ers and OC'ers are their own worst enemies...
    suntzu and wrearick like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    That is a pretty good haul from Texas to NH. I hope you are spending a little time in NH to make it worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    That is a pretty good haul from Texas to NH. I hope you are spending a little time in NH to make it worth the trip.
    I am flying there.....not too bad. I will be there a week or two. No rush.. Miss the mountains.

I have friends that own seats at the Boston Garden. Hopefully I can see the Bruins play the Penguins...assuming they don't do another 2010 series blunder (when they lost to the Flyers being up 3-0 in the series)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I am not familiar with Texas Laws. Are you not allowed to open carry a pistol even in the woods while hunting or hiking?

I would imagine OC coming up again if Perry gets special session . I would be in favor of it , even though i still would do the CC way.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I am not familiar with Texas Laws. Are you not allowed to open carry a pistol even in the woods while hunting or hiking?
    Unfortunately not on any PUBLIC land.

...when handgun hunting is allowed in Texas...I don't believe that...could you please cite your source...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...prohibited.pdf

Recreational Fishing and Hunting Regulations

Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, EXCEPT:
    white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.
    shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
    pellet guns and other air guns are NOT LEGAL.
    fully automatic firearms are NOT LEGAL.
    firearms equipped with silencers or sound-suppressing devices are NOT LEGAL.
    a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting

It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead HUNTING point during the Archery-Only season. NOTE: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels).

...this specifically mentions hunting with a handgun on public lands:

National Forest Hunter: Hunting the Sam Houston National Forest (1998 to Present)

Under current handgun law you can open carry on personal property, or while hunting only. This does not apply to rifles, and shotguns.

Texas sucks as a gun friendly state. I was talking to a buddy here in NH who thinks Texas is awesome. I told him that it sucked. He said "well, you can shoot a guy at night if he is stealing your stuff!"

I was like yeah, but how often are you planning on shooting someone at night for stealing your stuff?

Idiots are born every day and live everywhere. If that is is Litmus for a gun frinedly state, I will take NH over TX anyday. No training, quick as dirt and cheap to get your permit, OC without a liscense. Almost no place north of manchester has "no gun " signs.

Each state has it's own peculiar set of laws. Yes, OC in Texas is missing....but Texas is very pro 2a in other areas. How many other states have a CHL only express line for accessing the state legislature? How many permit concealed carry on your vehicle without a chl? How many have specifically protected your right to keep a firearm in your locked vehicle in your employer's parking lot, regardless of your employer's policy?

Having moved to Texas from a place with VERY restrictive gun laws, I think that there is a lot to be said for the Texan way of doing things - and the dedicated citizens of texas that are working hard to improve things even more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Living next to TX and having to work there on occasion, I am really fond of TX. Their gun laws are very friendly and other than not currently allowing OC, I cannot think of any anti gun laws they have.
    But they are better than most states in that:

1. Concealed permits are easy to obtain and gets one inside the State Capitol in an Express Lane.
    2. Having a TX concealed permit in TX gets instant possession of a new gun purchase without having to wait for Fed approval.
    3. There are few places where carry is not allowed in TX.
    4. Virtually every home in TX has at least two guns.
    5. Many of the prettiest women in TX are avid shooters.

Once TX gets OC, it may well be the best gun state in the US.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

...5. must be, haven't seen one single avid since I got here in 84...we have a lot of skunks and coyotes, though...

...and a LOT of pretty wimmen!!!

Links