I don't get it?

This is a discussion on I don't get it? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess that I just can't understand why people get angry when stopped by LEO's because of their weapon. I can understand that it could ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: I don't get it?

I don't get it?

I guess that I just can't understand why people get angry when stopped by LEO's because of their weapon. I can understand that it could get irritating getting stopped for no reason, but if you just prove to the officer that you are legal to possess the weapon you're back on your way. Right? I understand people are concerned for their rights, but there has to be a better way to handle these types of situations. What I'm trying to say is why not give the LEO your ID or CCL/CWP? I came across a couple of videos on youtube that the reasons of the videos being made were moronic. In one of the videos some guy decided to strap an AR on his back and walk around town just to see what would happen, and in another video a man was OC'ing and decided it would be a good idea to approach an officer as he was making a traffic stop. Hopefully you guys/gals can explain to me the reasoning behind this type of behavior when confronted by LEO's. Thanks

Here is one of the videos I mentioned above:

2. Remove Ads

Here is the second video:

You're going to get flamed into next week any second now...

I'm waiting for one of these kinds of morons to get lit up by an LEO who isn't interested in talking like this one. Also, these guys are completely wrong about the not having to identify oneself, the SCOTUS ruled exactly the opposite a couple of years ago.

On another note, am I the only one who has noticed that 95% of the types who make videos like these on purpose tend to be self righteous white males in the 20s who think they know it all? They seemingly don't care that their actions are causing a totally unnecessary waste of LE resources, they only care about pushing their own personal agenda.

ME! ME! ME! IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!...and they said Gen X was bad...
    Last edited by MJB_17; May 28th, 2013 at 04:36 AM.

Some states such as my own OC requires nothing, no permit, no id, no nothing and OC is a guaranteed right by my states constitution with modern legislation to back it up against would be interfering officials that has some relatively sharp teeth.

So here and in states like mine concerning OC theres absolutely no reason for an officer to stop a person for OC unless they are doing something else illegal. Here and some other states there is no requirement to have an ID or permit at all to OC so theres no reason for an officer to stop a person and ask for something they have no legal requirement to have in the first place.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Would you be upset if the police stopped you and demanded ID for carrying a bible?

When Carrot Top walked into the theater in Aurora with his M&P15 I guess he wasn't doing anything illegal either...until the drilled the first patron. I get tired of all the "how far can I push it" people that never think should I do this or is it retarded?

Overall I'm for open carry being legal, but for those of you who CCW, at what point are you gonna draw and kill the guy that's approaching you with a rifle? It seems with OC there's a mighty fine line between carrying and brandishing. What is the difference between the two?
    MJB_17, DetChris and Oldpsufan like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I'm with Ghost1958 here. OC is 100% legal here in NC, requires no permit nor registration, and NC is also not a stop and ID state. So if an officer stops you simply for carrying he is in the wrong. I don't care if you view it as, "just keeping everyone safe", it's still an illegal stop & question. The "keeping everyone safe" argument could be used for Chicago and NYC's laws and we clearly see that as quite the fallacy.

It does come down to rights and yes I think anyone who stands up for them is doing the right thing here. How can anyone say "we should stand up for our 2A rights" but then pretty much roll over on the 4A? The BoR are not a la carte, all of them apply and are important to exercise.

Trying to put the blame on law-abiding citizens going about their business while legally armed for the waste of LE resources because that LEO is ignorant of the law is completely ridiculous. If I hassled you needlessly just because I felt like it and blamed you for making me do it you'd call me a passive aggressive a-hole (and rightfully so). Wearing a badge doesn't change that.

My CCH instructor is a police sergeant for a nearby county and specifically mentioned that if any of his officers gave a OC/CCer trouble for merely carrying to report it to him right away so he could set that officer straight. That's the approach that should be had.
    ccw9mm, darbo, blitzburgh and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Some states such as my own OC requires nothing, no permit, no id, no nothing and OC is a guaranteed right by my states constitution with modern legislation to back it up against would be interfering officials that has some relatively sharp teeth.

So here and in states like mine concerning OC theres absolutely no reason for an officer to stop a person for OC unless they are doing something that is illegal. Here and some other states there is no requirement to have an ID or permit at all to OC so theres no reason for an officer to stop a person and ask for something they have no legal requirement to have in the first place.
    Fixed it for you. OH is the same way except OC in a car in OH is CC by definition.

OP, think about how you would feel if you were stopped and IDed every time you stepped out of your house - just because. If you are doing nothing illegal, why should you have to put up with the hassle?
    darbo likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

It seems with OC there's a mighty fine line between carrying and brandishing. What is the difference between the two?
    Holstered vs. unholstered.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

...please cite the case and ruling that you mention in the first paragraph...
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    You're going to get flamed into next week any second now...

I'm waiting for one of these kinds of morons to get lit up by an LEO who isn't interested in talking like this one. Also, these guys are completely wrong about the not having to identify oneself, the SCOTUS ruled exactly the opposite a couple of years ago.

On another note, am I the only one who has noticed that 95% of the types who make videos like these on purpose tend to be self righteous white males in the 20s who think they know it all? They seemingly don't care that their actions are causing a totally unnecessary waste of LE resources, they only care about pushing their own personal agenda.

ME! ME! ME! IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!...and they said Gen X was bad...
    ksholder and carracer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Holstered vs. unholstered.
    I've never seen anyone post a video where they were carrying a holstered rifle.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by halfcocked94 View Post
    I guess that I just can't understand why people get angry when stopped by LEO's because of their weapon. I can understand that it could get irritating getting stopped for no reason...
    I think you pretty much answered it yourself, "getting stopped for no reason". Would you like to get stopped every Sunday as you leave church just to be asked who you are and what you were doing? (4th amendment, another right)

Second Amendment as ratified by the states, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I've never seen anyone post a video where they were carrying a holstered rifle.
    Well, I was referring to a handgun, so how about over the shoulder with a sling vs. in hand and pointed at me?
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...please cite the case and ruling that you mention in the first paragraph...
    Hiibel .v. Nevada 6th Judicial.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    they only care about pushing their own personal agenda.
    ..and what agenda would that be? To appear on you tube? Make lots of money?

I maintain that if we do not exercise our rights, the WILL be taken away.
    I do not care what their motivation is...it is a RIGHT!

Columnists at major newspapers are allowed to spew hatred, anti government sentiment, personal bias. They too are protected under the 1st amendment which if you take note is also being attacked now by the Obama administration.

This LE officer's techniques are precisely how the jack booted thugs TALK their way past a search warrant, a violation of the 4th amendment.

One does not have to be a constitutional attorney to recognize our rights are being molested at every turn by nearly every method available, legal AND illegal.

We do not live in a "Your paperz pleez" state; though we are approaching that rapidly.
    carracer likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links